Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: testing for TB  (Read 2713 times)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
testing for TB
« on: August 09, 2010, 09:39:20 pm »
had a phone call from animal welfare today saying that there s an outbreak
of tb in this area within goats.
inspector coming out in a day or two to do the test.
we are keeping cool and positive about this, i have that inner peace about the whole thing.
bless them.
Langdon ;)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: testing for TB
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 09:40:47 pm »
Hi Langdon, fingers and toes crossed that all is well. What a stress.

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 09:53:04 pm »
thanks james ;) will let you know how it goes as for now they are much loved and cared for.
explained it to my 5 year old girl grace who likes to help me around the place with feeding etc.
as she likes to care for the animals we have here i thought well she might as well know about
with livestock comes deadstock.
bless her she understood better than i thought she would.
langdon ;) :goat:
Langdon ;)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 12:19:12 am »
I honestly do not think you have anything to worry about Langdon.  Your goats will not have been in contact with other livestock, nor is it likely that any badgers have been near them.

We are over run with badgers here, and also now have a TB problem in our area, which was not here until a few months ago.

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 11:59:23 am »
is that how it can only be passed on, contact with other livestock?
thats what i thought.
langdon ;) :goat:
Langdon ;)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 01:09:34 pm »
Mainly its passed on by the badgers urinating in the fields, rubbing against fence posts.  Also they climb into cattle feeders to eat the cattle nuts etc, and it can containate the feeders.....obviously the farmers cannot see any evidence, so are oblivious until they have a positive test.

The cows on our land  which had it, looked fine, showed no outward symtoms.  Its said to be slow growing, but one of the calves got it, and that was only a few months old.

It is highly unlikely your goats could possibly be affected, but probably in trying to eliminate the Tb they are testing all animals in the vicinity.

I find it very strange, that no one has come and tested any of my animals, even though I asked if it was necessary (twice!)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 12:18:11 pm »
I'm going to have to get this checked out here too - we have a lot of badgers in our field. they actually filmed a series of 'badger watch' here.  :-\
hope yours are OK langdon.
the little ones are very understanding and grown up about livestock/deadstock - my 4 never cease to amaze me bless them
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 02:23:48 pm »
My family have farmed here for over 50 years, and never had a negative test.  For whatever reason, this last test on the animals on the rented portion, showed three had TB.  Next door showed two with it, and three more farms had animals affected.

My goats are on a separate holding, just up the track .....but I know a farm higher up the lane was one of those affected. Badgers walk a long way from their setts, so its likely these same badgers pass my land up the track.  I am prepared to have my goats tested, and accept that if they are affected they have to go.  If you keep livestock, you have to accept all that comes with it, even the bad stuff.  For those of you who only keep a couple of goats which are pets, I can understand this would be really hard. Like I said, the likelyhood of it happening, is remote for normal pet homes with just a few goats.

I don't think you can have them tested unless the ministry vets are aware of an outbreak near you and request your animals are tested. Well, you can have them done, but would have to pay the vets to come out test, return in two days, etc. etc. so it could work out costly - to be told that all is well.  Plus, I should point out, that some of the cows on here, tested clear in one test, and then because they need more clear tests, they showed up next time. So,it seems just because the goat does not have it now, that its not rearing its ugly head for the next test.

Also, there is no way of knowing, as usually there are no outward symptoms (the cows looked fit and healthy!  which makes it hard to spot without a test, and makes it hard to accept, when your animals is bouncing with health.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS