Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Breeding plans and breed club membership - your thoughts please  (Read 3948 times)

HappyHippy

Hi all,
With my wee Kune kune due any day now, and plans afoot for starting with pedigree breeding of rare breeds I got to thinking about pig clubs. I'm already a member of the Kune Kune club, but since they deal with the registration and stuff I haven't joined the BPA yet.
I'm hoping to get a few different breeds - large black, OSB, GOS and saddlebacks (I'm hoping I'll be able to keep all the sows together for company and just seperate them at farrowing time) and use visiting boars/AI to produce litters. This way I'd get 1 pure breed, pedigree litter and a few cross litters for selling on or raising to pork/bacon weight from each 'love in'  ;) Does that sound reasonable and realistic ? Also, with regard to registering the births etc - is there any advantage to being a member of each individual breed club, as well as the BPA ?
Thanking you all in advance for your thoughts, Karen x

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Breeding plans and breed club membership - your thoughts please
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 09:20:41 pm »
Sounds great, personally I only belong to BPA to register the GOS pigs.  I would love to be a member of the different clubs but feel the costs per year would be too much, as we are on a very tight budget and the cost of say joining the GOS club would be around 5 bags of pig food.  Hilary would say NO CONTEST.  Whatever you decide enjoy. 

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 08:31:06 am »
Thanks HM. We're also on a limited budget (well, until the breeding hopefully takes off) and I just wasn't sure if there was anything extra to be gained with the individual breed clubs over the BPA. I'll start off with them and if I win the lottery I'll join up with the rest  ;D

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 09:14:31 am »
The BPA will be essential for registering them.  For the GOS you will probably need to belong to the breeders club as well if you want to sell pork as Gloucestershire Old Spot - From what I understand so far it is the breeders club who is going to organise the inspections and granting of 'certification' to registered breeders - so I presume people would need to have joined the breeders club to have that happen.....Not sure but worth checking.   

Sounds like you're going to have your hands full with all those pigs Karen  - They are great fun though.  Enjoy!!!   :love: :pig: :love:
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Mr Pig

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 09:23:15 am »
Perhaps HM would share with us where to buy such cheap grub from! The cost of joining the GOSPBC for overseas members is £25/year or £20 if you elect to receive the newsletter via email instead of a printed copy.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 09:41:22 am »
I belong to both the BPA & GOS club.
There are some good advantages in belonging to the breed club especially when you need help.
If you would like a leaflet about what the club has to offer let me know and i'll post one out to you.
They also have a very active forum & website too where you can sell your GOS offspring (pedigree only).
HTH
Mandy  :pig:

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 10:08:27 am »
The BPA runs the pedigree pork scheme for all breeds so you can sell your produce as genuine GOS or whatever breed you have; you can print off a certificate for each individual pig you kill and process with it's details on.

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 10:50:10 am »
Now the GOS have the TSG status you won't be able to print the certificates off the BPA website any more.

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 11:14:44 am »
Mr Pig Cecab St Allouestre, 180 euros per ton.  I stand corrected thats 6 bags.   

I thought to sell pork as GOS it had to be birth notified with BPA, is this not correct?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 11:17:27 am by Hilarysmum »

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 11:32:51 am »
Pigs will still have to be birth notified thro' the BPA but the GOS club has asked for the meat certificate to be withdrawn in light of the new TSG acccreditation.
The means by which the accreditation will be implemented will be available on the GOS website when details are finalised. The club is working hard to make the implementation as straightforward and painless as possible. As ever Mr Pig or myself will keep this site updated with relevant links and information.
HTH

Mo

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Yorkshire
    • A Small Holding
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2010, 11:48:10 am »
Sorry to interupt you guys who breed but could you please clarify for me?

If I have GOS unregistered that I have raised I could sell the meat as "Rare Breed" but not as "GOS" - is that right?

Thanks

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2010, 11:53:50 am »
Yes Steve you are correct in your thinking. Pork from unregistered GOS pigs or GOS crosses cannot be sold labelled as GOS but can be sold as traditional, rarebreed, happy,posh etc.
As i have mentioned keep an eye on the GOS website for further information as it is made available.
HTH
mandy

Mo

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Yorkshire
    • A Small Holding
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2010, 12:13:54 pm »
I'm going to regret our username  ;D 9/10 it'll be Mo - and that'll be me  :wave:

Thanks Mandy, we haven't cheked the GOS website recently but will make sure we do.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS