Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Using hand baking yeast in a breadmaker  (Read 6928 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Using hand baking yeast in a breadmaker
« on: March 03, 2018, 02:15:42 pm »
OK, so we're totally snowed in, with no rescue in sight  ;D .

We have bread flour, we have hand baking yeast (usually used to make liquid bread  ;) ) and we also have a breadmaker.  Now I know the obvious solution is to just bake a loaf by hand, but honestly, I don't have the energy to learn right now!

Does anybody know how you go about activating bread yeast so you can use it in a breadmaker? My simple head says that it should be possible to use the same amount of water as the breadmaker recipe calls for, but to stick the yeast in it with a bit of sugar an hour or so in advance.

Before I make another loaf like the one pictured though, can anybody sense check this for me?  :thinking:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

cans

• Joined May 2013
Re: Using hand baking yeast in a breadmaker
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 05:09:24 pm »
Sorry can’t help
I used to make bricks in my bread maker  :roflanim:

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 06:44:45 pm »
does not work. I ran out of my normal yeast and used the one for hand baking. Terrible. If this is all you have make your bread by hand.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 06:54:48 pm »
 :-[   I just pressed 'start' as well Sabrina!

What I've done is to use a bit more yeast than the recipe calls for, and also activated it in luke warm water with some sugar for 15 minutes beforehand. The yeasties were frothing away, so I've definitely woken them up...

At the end of the day, the flour was best before 2011, so I had very little to lose!  ;D I'll let you know in a few hours time whether we have a loaf of bread or just another housebrick!  :roflanim:

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 12:08:18 am »
Alright!!  ;D

So it turns out I am some kind of stable genius!

Given that the flour must be almost a decade old,  :innocent: I don't think that's too bad!! 

So, just because I get the feeling that this thread is going to end up with a few thousand hits before long, this loaf was made using the basic white bread recipe and program. The only difference was that instead of adding the water, sugar and yeast directly to the pan as usual, I put the same amount of water in a separate bowl (using 1/3 boiling and 2/3 cold water to end up with lukewarm water). I then added the sugar and a quarter more dried active yeast than the breadmaker recipe called for, stirred and left it for fifteen minutes to wake up all the yeasties. I then added that yeast mixture into the dry ingredients already in the breadmaker (flour, butter, milk powder, salt and two teaspoons more sugar for luck), hit start..... and here it is!

OK, OK, it's only a loaf of bread, but considering we were totally unprepared for the arrival of Storm Emma, and now the only road between us and civilisation is currently four miles of this....

..... I feel justified in being ridiculously chuffed!  :roflanim:

P.S. And I took the central heating boiler to bits today and then got it back together and working, with no parts left over!  ;D
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 07:50:19 am by Womble »

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 06:30:20 am »
Well done!
(I'm still struggling with the concept of a bread making machine - whatever will they think of next?)

Last time I made emergency bread - before the invention of the deep freeze - I used the ordinary plain flour we had around and it came out fine too.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 07:50:07 am »

(I'm still struggling with the concept of a bread making machine - whatever will they think of next?)

One of best things we ever bought .... use it all the time ..... ONLY downside is the amount of bread we consume cos it tastes so much better than bought!    (I'd never have time to hand make)
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 08:35:30 am »
well done Womble! nice looking loaf. And boiler repair! wish my OH was as capable  ::)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2018, 04:15:43 pm »
Nae flour in Scotland!
When will we see
Sliced breid again?
Nae Mother’s Pride for
Your wee bit piece and jam
Nae cheesey toasties (fur who?)
Wur tartan army
Just foaties o' empty shelves
Aye, blink again!

Those days are past now
But icy blast,
it may remain
But we might still drive (how?)
Tae get tae Asda again
And stand in queues there (Whit for?)
Wur milk, breid an whisky,
And tak’ them homewards
Tae drink again...

This is the road to our house, with 6-8 ft drifts for at least a couple of miles..... it looks as though we may be here some time!!  :o

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2018, 05:59:01 pm »

One of best things we ever bought .... use it all the time ..... ONLY downside is the amount of bread we consume cos it tastes so much better than bought!    (I'd never have time to hand make)

This https://www.villagebakery.co.uk/shop/view/5_Unsliced_Loaves/47_Toasty_Oaty is the one I buy locally for my modest bread needs - tastes super. Ideally it'd be a rye/wheat flour mix sourdough czech loaf but that means messing about with sourdough starters and DIY... not worth it for one person.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2018, 07:58:00 pm »
Wow, that's some picture
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2018, 11:19:23 pm »
Well done you on the bread ! Know what to do the next time I need to get the yeast to work. We have been blocked in for almost a week now. I am OK for most things and the weather is due to improve. Its been tough trying to keep the animals fed and watered. the sheep have been living in the field shelter due to very deep snow but happy enough with their hay. Ponies got out for about an hour a day until today when they had the whole morning. by lunch time they were looking to come in as the snow is still deep and no amount of pawing the ground was the grass going to appear. I had put hay out but that was long gone. Chickens did have a look outside but decided to stay in the barn. I have been feeding the wild birds and word must have got round for today my garden was full of birds so extra food was needed for them. A 20 kilo bag of wild bird food does about a week just now. I feel worn out by it all and now need things to get back to normal but my mind is saying it could be a while yet. there is going to be lots of mud !!!!!1

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2018, 05:35:14 pm »
Are you out yet?  :innocent:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2018, 08:16:56 pm »
Shhhh! Don't tell anybody!  :-*

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS