Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Best way to dress a chicken  (Read 1937 times)

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
Best way to dress a chicken
« on: August 07, 2010, 01:26:18 pm »
Failing to find homes for my two cockerels i have decided that they have to be culled before fights begin to break out.

The way it works in our house is i dispatch the bird and bring it plucked to dad who then finishes the job. However dad is away for 3/4days and i cannot leave them anylonger, How should i go about "gutting" the bird, and removing the head,feetand wings.

Not the most plesent topic, but it's one i need to know
(i really should have watched dad, but by that time i had to go and clear up feathers)
Thanks

Sandy

Re: Best way to dress a chicken
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 09:40:09 pm »
I dread that day too,, someone must know, good luck and P.S its better than being squashed on a road, being stabbed or dieing of some disease, at least it's quick and fast!!!

DJ_Chook

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Mid Wales
  • Chicken mad, nothing else just chickens.
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 11:41:51 pm »
Is there enough meat on them? I used to fatten up the boys and eat them but it wasn't worth the effort. Even at 6 months old the meat was tough & the carcass was scrawny. I now either dispatch them if able to sex them when hatched or I dispatch at 16 weeks and just take the breasts off the carcass.
Chicken nutter extraordinaire.

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 11:44:26 pm »
These two are 16weeks and small, the meat(or most off) will be stripped and turned into Korma, how bad do i sound, fate decided allready

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS