Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: hoppity hen  (Read 4765 times)

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: hoppity hen
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2010, 07:21:33 am »
so whats to happen to him. after all nobody wants a wonky cock ;D

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2010, 09:26:54 am »
Or a limping ;) one. But now we delve into Carry On territory. Hermit

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2010, 11:15:44 am »
Just having a giggle here .....

Anyway, back to my wonky cockerel.

I suppose I could pass the suspected infertile cockerel on, with a hen ....I mean, you cannot tell from looking at him that he is not fertile. There again, he MAY be fertile, but three lots of eggs under three silkies, not hatching makes me wonder.  Thinking about it, cannot say I have actually seen him trying to tread the silkies, and he does tend to wander about the field on his own.  Not sure what that says about him!!!!

If the limpy one came well enough to put with the silkies, that would be fine.  I have got fond of the little fella after nursing him through!!!

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2010, 12:04:57 pm »
big softy.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2010, 12:10:53 pm »
Yep, certain things I get very attached to.  On the other hand, if I know from the start that the animal or bird is for eating, I can  cope.....it just does not get a name.

Mo

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Yorkshire
    • A Small Holding
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2010, 08:17:54 am »
Hi
Hope someone can help with this one.
One of our chicks had an impacted crop which, mercifully, we noticed early and treated with success. However, whilst she seems ok she has gone lame. There seems to be no physical reason. Her leg seems fine, her scales seem fine but she is not 'splaying' one of her feet. Both her feet are warm, so not a circulation problem?
She's isolated, eating and drinking, preening herself and she is trying to stand and moving about a little.
Any ideas would be welcome, thanks

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2010, 10:41:42 am »
Check for small stones/thorns embedded in her feet or toes.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Mo

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Yorkshire
    • A Small Holding
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2010, 07:13:20 am »
Thanks, I checked her feet but could neither see or feel anything. We've been rubbing in vaseline in the hope that if there was something it would draw it out. She's standing now, sometimes shuffling on her 'knuckles'. But if she tries to take a step she nose dives.

Mo

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Yorkshire
    • A Small Holding
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2010, 06:48:51 am »
Just a quick update. We think she was just too weak to support herself and walk. This week she is walking fine having progressed from baby steps she is now hard to keep tabs on. Our worry now is that she is lonely as she searches us out, goes down to the chicken pen or sits near the pigs. We don't want to reintroduce her into the chicken pen until she is scratting properly again.

Mo

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Yorkshire
    • A Small Holding
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2010, 07:40:34 am »
Another update.
Our Sickly Chick is now 'cock' of the garden. We're sure the pigs send her up the garden to find us at feeding time "Tell 'em to get a move on"  ;D

But my real update is that she is laying again. A soft shell on Thrusday but a 'real good egg' yesterday.

I'm so proud of her

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2010, 12:06:55 pm »
Well done, Steve.  One of my ex batts came with a limp last weekend but they are still scared of anything that moves near them so I've left her till now - it's not a bad limp, but hopefully I'll be able to take a look tomorrow.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2010, 07:14:57 pm »
good to hear your hen is well again... and good mates with the pigs!!  ;)
Little Blue

Mo

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Yorkshire
    • A Small Holding
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2010, 07:54:41 am »
good to hear your hen is well again... and good mates with the pigs!!  ;)
She spends more time sat at their gate than near her feathered 'mates', I suspect she knows they'd happily pick on her if we let her back in with them. Or maybe she has her eye on the pig ark as a new home....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS