Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Solar power  (Read 1998 times)

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
Solar power
« on: February 07, 2018, 06:00:33 pm »
This may be a naive question, but we are considering moving onto our land and getting a wooden cabin that conforms to the Caravan Act. Would solar power provide enough electricity?

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
Re: Solar power
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 06:13:29 pm »
You would have to join the camping and caravan club - which would require that no caravan remains on the land for more than 28 days and has to be for the purpose of a holiday and in no way residential?

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 06:14:25 pm »
I think it can be for 64 days - but has to be unoccupied as a rental for 4 days in the middle.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 06:17:50 pm »
In answer to the question though - absolutely yes - with a budget of around 10 grand you could buy panels, converters and storage that would be enough to run a few lights and a TV and radio.

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 11:27:12 pm »
There is no need to spend £10k. Have a look on here,https://www.facebook.com/groups/sbcampervans/, there are always discussions on the relative benefits of smaller systems.
  The cost of the solar panels has come down, the expensive part are the batteries, I think the https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/powerwall is about £3k, but really you have to be generating far fair bit of power to make the cost worth while. You can pick up second-hand batteries.
 We have neighbours who live off gird, all on secondhand equipment, its not going to be the same as mains but its doable.
  I wouldn't go for a shed, I would get a old horsebox.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 03:43:03 pm »
I'm mining bitcoins with any extra energy my panels make in the daytime :) - not much but about £50 a month.

I dont see much point in me exporting it back to the grid - would be nice to have batteries mind and become off grid totally.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS