Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Buiding a Shepherds Hut!  (Read 1902 times)

WWC

• Joined Jan 2018
Buiding a Shepherds Hut!
« on: January 22, 2018, 04:57:59 pm »
Hello everybody

We’ve just been lucky enough to move to a house with a fair bit of space and stables (glorified field shelters to be honest!) for the Mrs’s horses.

I’m really keen to put some cosy little box up by the stables and have been kicking around a few options.

Money is tight so anything off the peg is out except for a scruffy old tourer and that’s not really what we want.

I think what we really want is a what appears to be known as ‘Shepherds Hut’ these days?

Again though the metal chassis’ alone seem to be about £1000 plus delivery BUT I’ve recently had the idea of buying a solid 14-foot twin axel trailer for £200 odd and starting from that?

Crazy idea?

My father in law is incredibly handy and I think we’d enjoy the challenge of a self build but would appreciate some advice:

-   Trailer chassis a good base?
-   Is 14-foot long enough?
-   Any base plans we can download?
-   Common mistakes or tips for starting off?
-   We’d like a fold down bed – any layouts to consider?

Any help really appreciated!

Cheers

Will

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Buiding a Shepherds Hut!
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 12:29:24 pm »
14 foot is certainly long enough. I have some glamping pods that are 8' x 14'

If your father in law is handy he won't need plans for what is essentially a shed on wheels. But if you look up shepherds huts on ebay you'll get some pretty good ideas of what other people have done and their layouts.

Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Buiding a Shepherds Hut!
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 09:30:45 pm »
You should watch George Clrke's Amazing Spaces - some fabulous rigs on there, glamping units too

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/george-clarkes-amazing-spaces
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS