Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Jersey beef not fine  (Read 3382 times)

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
Jersey beef not fine
« on: January 28, 2018, 03:47:38 pm »

I had a 4yr old jersey steer put in freezer.  The butcher said he was well impressed with it and wasn't tight at all however I have noticed it is quite slow to cook.  I would say the mince def needs a good 3hrs over 1.5 on shop bought. and the roast does contain quite chewy parts, the sirloin steaks weren't as refined as normal. Its not tough but takes longer to cook and has tougher fat parts.  I assume I'll have to cook it all slow which is a shame.

Any ideas on if I can tenderise?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Jersey beef not fine
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 05:38:33 pm »
Oh what a shame.  Our five year old Katy cow went off last year and cooks like a dream.  No chewiness and no extra time needed.  Just pure delicious :yum:

As to tenderising, what about marinating?  And, just worth mentioning... you do let the meat rest after cooking before carving/serving, do you?  I always try to give all joints at least half an hour in a warm not hot place, and even chops and steaks benefit from at least 10 preferably 20 minutes.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 11:22:59 am »
Years ago there used to be in the Scwhartz herb & spice range something called " Tenderizing Salt " ,  that you rubbed into a joint or big thick steaks 12 hrs or so before cooking it . We had good results with it  but haven't used any for several years , so don't know for sure if it is still available
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 12:19:17 pm »
I'm not a cattle person and I rarely eat beef, but am I right that jersey meat would have a lower fat content than meat breeds?  I'm wondering how long it was hung.
What a shame, after killing such an animal, that the meat is not what you had been hoping for.  You used to be able to get a 'meat tenderiser' which was like a little wooden mallet with bumps cut into the end, so you battered the meat with that before cooking - it always seemed a bit OTT but if it meant you enjoyed the meat more then that could help.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 12:48:01 pm »
I wondered why you reared him to 4 years?  Jersey's are fast maturing.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 11:08:11 pm »
I'm not a cattle person and I rarely eat beef, but am I right that jersey meat would have a lower fat content than meat breeds?  I'm wondering how long it was hung.

It has less surface fat, yes, but has a very very fine marbling, so is tender and succulent.  I think it's the best beef in the world, but I am just a tad biased ;)

When Kitty went off, at 29 months, the butcher thought it was too lean to hang for my requested three weeks, saying I'd lose too much weight.  We did hang her for 19 days though, and it was awesome meat.

Katy had 'a lot of condition on her' and in fact I'd been slimming her down gently before she went in case she was too fat.  I'd asked for three weeks' hanging but it being before Christmas he in fact only hung her for 10 days, which I was annoyed about.  But no problems with the meat :)

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 01:21:57 pm »

Thanks all - the meat is good in some parts but a lot of congestive issue that takes longer to break down.  The topside is good until you come across the stingy bits of fat which are need trimming out. The sirloin steaks are nice as long as you cut around the bits.  I've decided to keep it as slow cook which is a shame for the topside joints etc as I do like pink meat.

I assume that older animals aren't as refined as younger.  I'm not sure whether a steer means it isn't as fat.  The breed isn't great for fine beef.  We did have a brisket the other day and that produced a lot of fat.

Slow cook is great for me as really busy but I do enjoy the odd flash fry.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS