Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What mix of ages??  (Read 2190 times)

ShaunP

• Joined Dec 2009
    • Timber Chalets and Lodges
What mix of ages??
« on: August 03, 2010, 10:03:15 pm »
I have recently got some more weaners and I am wondering what other people do regarding mixing age groups. The weaners at the moment are eating off the ground as I scatter there food in the grass. I would like to let them run in the bigger area with the the older pigs that are now 5 months old and getting ready to visit the butcher!!

What do you think???

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
Re: What mix of ages??
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 08:59:35 am »
Personally I prefer not to mix age groups.  Will be interesting to hear what others think.

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

powispigs

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shropshire
    • Powis Pigs
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 05:08:26 pm »
I also prefer to keep ages separate mainly to ensure the little ones are getting their share of the food  :pig:

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 06:23:24 pm »
We freely mix pigs of all ages in our fattening group.

We find no problem  in bullying - larger pig sees little as no threat and little looks up at big pig and thinks no chance!

or in feeding - as long as you spread your feed rather than trough feed, the little ones nip in quite easily and feed between the big ones legs.  They even seem to like the challange of nipping in, and don't miss out on food.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 09:44:15 am »
Having seen other friends who do this quite successfully, I would agree with Oaklands, although suggest feeding a little extra to make sure the smallest do get a fair share. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS