Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pig Labour  (Read 1987 times)

Stanley

• Joined Oct 2009
Pig Labour
« on: August 05, 2010, 02:38:09 pm »
I was just wondering what the average length of farrowing is. I know this can be a 'how longs a peice of string question'.

My Kune Kune Sow went into labour about 9:00 yesterday morning and dropped her first pig 8:30 that night. The next pig was an hour and a half coming and number 3 dropped half hour later. She then didnt have her next piglet for two hours.
She then fidgeted about and fell asleep but was grunting. 5:00 this morning she started up again and pushed a stillborn out at 5:30. Had lots of afterbirth come out so im thinking this is her lot.

Is this length of time normal?? Her last litter was over a period of 12 hours but i read somewhere they should be done and dusted within 3!

dannidub2000

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Northants
    • Brook Farm Rare Breeds
Re: Pig Labour
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 09:15:42 pm »
sounds as though that last one was stuck. never had a pig take that long. my old spots will still get up for food after making a nest and when i check in the morning theres a litter of piglets in there.
whereas my saddlebacks mess around and go off their food 1st, and you will catch them in the morning with a complete litter or just finishing.
Danni
Brook Farm Rare Breeds
Northants

Re: Pig Labour
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 10:08:00 pm »
Agreed, sounds like one was stuck and made it difficult for the others to get out, we have had that before, where there is a long delay between piglets and eventually a stillborn pops out.

Not much you can do Im afraid, unless yo go in upto your shoulder, and check each "pocket".

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS