Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Reducing plastics  (Read 5982 times)

docsal

• Joined Feb 2017
Reducing plastics
« on: January 22, 2018, 01:01:36 pm »
Does anyone have any ideas for freezer packaging other than plastics? I bought a vacuum packer for our home cured bacon but wondered if there were more environmentally-friendly ways of packing stuff for the freezer???

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
Re: Reducing plastics
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 01:58:00 pm »
good question, I'd be interested too

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 02:48:41 pm »

Nope, I haven't come across anything other than plastic bags... I do anything cooked in plastic tubs, and those are of course re-used, but most fruit, veg and meat goes into bags....

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 05:12:38 pm »
I cringe every time I use one! I'm trying to be as environmentally friendly by making and freezing my own food, then I get a plastic bag out......

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 05:44:21 pm »
The thing that grips me most is the bale wrap used for the haylage, expensive to put on and then useless afterwards and then costs to dispose of if not burnt  :'(

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 06:33:14 pm »
I freeze leftovers in some great pyrex style dishes that my mum got me. They have plastic lids and can go in freezer, oven, microwave and dishwasher. Unfortunately raw meat goes in plastic bags, as do the bags and bags of fruit I store because I just can't process it as quick as it comes in.

I used to re-use the chinese takeaway tubs but I found those shattered easily. Also keen to hear any non-plastic solutions people have.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 09:03:48 pm »
Y' know what?  I don't feel guilty about this at all. Yes by all means reduce the unnecessary plastic wrapping of produce just for the sake it when any other form of wrapping, or no wrapping would work. But plastic does have some special properties and the ability to clean it and repeatability freeze and thaw it makes it a very special commodity when used properly. The problem isn't use of plastic, it is mis use and careless disposal.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 01:43:25 am »
Back in the '50s we didn't have disposable polythene bags, nor did we have domestic freezers.  The two seem to have arisen hand in hand.  We did have cellophane, which became brittle and tore easily, so no use for freezing.
I use a mix of polythene bags and plastic tubs in the freezer now.  The tubs last for years and can be re-used many times then I think they can be recycled afterwards (I haven't thrown any out yet).  With bags, I tend to re-purpose in that I'll use them to dispose of rubbish, or old soup bones or whatever.  When I've finished with them I always split the handles and tie the bags into a tight knot several times, so they don't blow around in the air from a tip, or have loops that wrap around birds' legs - I do that with all plastic wrapping.

The problem I think is not the using of plastic wrap in a situation where it's perfect eg the freezer, but that we don't have a way to recycle plastic thin sheeting, bags etc (and old flower pots).  So better recycling, and uses for the products of recycling are the answer our techno wizards need to work towards, asap.

"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 10:59:02 am »
Rupert- I use binder twine to grow tomatoes cucumbers up on the poly tunnel. The trick is to store it in bags, and when someone says " I could use some of that" give them a bag full  :roflanim: my farmer friend says that he couldn't run his farm without it

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 01:00:35 pm »
Rupert- I use binder twine to grow tomatoes cucumbers up on the poly tunnel. The trick is to store it in bags, and when someone says " I could use some of that" give them a bag full  :roflanim: my farmer friend says that he couldn't run his farm without it

We use sisal twine which eventually rots.  It is the only twine our ancient baler will use, but is so much better than having polyprop twine lurking about.  In every picture of wild birds and sea creatures tangled in something, there is always polyprop twine or rope - horrible stuff.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2018, 06:42:18 pm »
[member=4333]Fleecewife[/member] do you have a link to the type of tubs you use? Or a description? Even my thicker plastic ones seem to last only a couple years.

I saw some reusable silicon pouches on Facebook the other day that caught my interest. Should work the same as zip lock bags but can be washed.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2018, 08:00:13 pm »

We use sisal twine which eventually rots.  It is the only twine our ancient baler will use, but is so much better than having polyprop twine lurking about.  In every picture of wild birds and sea creatures tangled in something, there is always polyprop twine or rope - horrible stuff.

I was refering to the net wrap and the 6 layer stretch bale wrap we use for the haylage   :)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2018, 10:49:58 pm »

I was refering to the net wrap and the 6 layer stretch bale wrap we use for the haylage   :)

Oh right, is that what binder twine is now? Before we had a combine harvester when I was a child, we had a binder, which cut and bunched and tied cut corn, which was then stooked, left to finish in the wind then carted and stacked.  Later it was winnowed.  The string used to tie the bundles was called binder twine, now baler twine.

The stuff round big bales is another pet hate, designed to catch on animal and bird feet, in machines and never to disappear.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2018, 11:09:10 pm »
Hi Dans

I just found these, made of rice husks - interesting.
https://www.fruugo.co.uk/husk-full-set-4-i-n1-of-round-storage/p-15674001-33662532?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIu_zyhZbv2AIVCkAbCh084gUYEAQYFCABEgJ-OPD_BwE

Collapsible silicone containers: 
hhttps://www.ebay.co.uk/i/192330135496?chn=ps&adgroupid=48716125379&rlsatarget=pla-381910292621&abcId=1129946&adtype=pla&merchantid=107365930&poi=&googleloc=1007346&device=c&campaignid=974960635&crdt=0

I think these are the bags you are referring to - I use them for soups, fruit and other liquid foods:  Reusable Silicone Food Storage Bag on Amazon (couldn't get a URL - I'm not sure what that 'ember' bit is but I can't get rid of it)

Also on Amazon are glass storage containers for freezers etc.The containers I use at the moment are multipacks from Lakeland.

Sorry this is a messy post - I've tried sorting the fonts but doesn't work.

So it looks as if there are some viable alternatives to plastics and polyprop for the freezer.  They are more expensive but reuseable.  Once my tubs break I shall certainly be looking into those.  Thanks for mentioning silicone Dans.  I wonder if it also has some drawbacks?

« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 11:21:18 pm by Fleecewife »

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2018, 01:52:18 am »
If you look at the Wischenfleders website they sell an Italian vac pack & heat sealer that also has a vacuum system of using recycled lidded jars fitted with a special multi use sealing plug to hold the vacuum .

I have  considered using some of my Weck jars  , drilling . boring the lids with the right sized  plug hole using an eBay diamond hole cutter set  and a Weck sealing ring 

I'll still be using the plastic embossed bags for things though .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS