Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: E - Bay Eggs - Results  (Read 2410 times)

HeronsReach

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Cumbria
E - Bay Eggs - Results
« on: August 02, 2010, 12:09:16 pm »
As promised here are my results from eggs bought from e-bay

Turkey - 40 eggs set - 12 birds hatched

Cream legbars - 6 eggs set - 1 Hatched

Black Marans - 24 eggs set - 17 Hatched

I dont think this is all that bad

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: E - Bay Eggs - Results
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 01:38:35 pm »
Hi when I first bought eggs from ebay, they were collected from seller and the resulting hatch was very high.  Since then have had to resort to post in UK and then bought over same day and found the results very poor, 1 or 2 out of 6.  I think therefore it must be something to do with the posting as the time between collection and incubation is very close.

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 01:41:17 pm »
I think you're right Hilarysmum.  I collected 8 last year and had 7 hatch, but I've heard that posting them really does affect the results.

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 01:44:45 pm »
Is it not the x-ray machines that affect fertility?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 01:46:11 pm »
that would definitely have some sort of effect, and also the 'movement' too.....probably get thrown about quite a bit in the postal system.
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 09:19:14 am »
I've had four batches from Ebay
6 - 3 hatched (also known as the three amigo's or Rodney, Raquel and Casandra)
6 - 2 hatched (The White Stripes, but may become JEdward, I'm not sure of the sex of one of them)
6 - 4 hatched (The Corrs, 1 brother, three sisters)
6 - 2 hatched, 1 died.  Totally gutted. (Kurt and Courtney)

Have used 3 different suppliers, kept with the same one for the last batch as the four.  We're getting a week old chick to keep Courtney company on Thursday and will hopefully get some hatching eggs as the same time from the breeder.

bamford6

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 09:36:57 am »
i put eggs on e bay i would say that iff the eggs came through a non main post office you would get a good hatch . but remember i put 6 eggs in my incubater and got 6 out off 6 i then sent the others to perth and he had 1 .when the vat goes up in januarey it will cost 7 pound post that will not be a good bet with 7 pound start .and also i onley sell when the fertilatey is right haw meney sell there first months eggs not knowing  that the fertilatey is not good .i would say over hall mine are 80 percent .i sell loads at the doore iv also paid 50 and 60 pound for eggs and been happey with 1 or 2 .the best bet is to have a seller that is honist and get 12 eggs not much differance in price .the thing gets me you pay and in 3 days they arive haw old are they when sent .whot should happen all eggs sold on friday sent monday and so on

HeronsReach

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Cumbria
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 11:34:11 pm »
The black marans were the best and even when i brok open the eggs that didnt hatch three had part formed chicks in. I'm agreement its the postall system that rough handles them and breaks the air sac.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS