Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Show Us Yer Chicks part2  (Read 3314 times)

Daveravey

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Fife
Show Us Yer Chicks part2
« on: August 01, 2010, 04:02:56 pm »
Just thought i'd update you all about our new arrivals

We have 5 Lavender Araucana (Thanks Nicki) & 5 Buff Sussex chicks, all full of life & vigour.

Here's some pics i took earlier ...

The Araucana's are now 5 days old, starting to feather up on the wings & the Sussex are 2 days old

dizzy1pig

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Leuchars, Fife
Re: Show Us Yer Chicks part2
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 04:58:15 pm »
Brilliant... I have 4 lavender araucana this week too. And I am sure James has to...
How do you get on with electric hen??
I bought 1, used it once and lost all my young uns
Was not impressed so am back using heat lamp..............much electric :wave:

Daveravey

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Fife
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 10:15:46 pm »
I prefer it over a heatlamp, even though i still keep a lamp in case the hen gives up the ghost.

The chicks learn the difference between day & night, plus i feel the chicks tend to feather-up a bit quicker.

Did you set yours with a thermometer, as the chicks can barely get under mine after a couple of days of going into the brooder.

Sandy

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 10:45:53 pm »
Wonderful!!! welll done

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 09:02:45 pm »
Not chicks - cute lil baby ducks
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 09:18:52 pm »
Thanks Annie, they are gorgeous. :) :&> :&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 11:15:38 pm »
If anyone is still up and about can they help please. Two of the ducklings are completely out of their shells and I have removed the debris, two others have a bit of shell away about the size of a 5p, but there are still another 5 eggs which may or not hatch.  The incubator is a brinsea 20 so there is very little room in there.  I have set up a cardboard box with a heat lamp, and it has been on for a while.  Should I move the two fully hatched babies into that to leave room for the others or does it matter?   I haven't offered any food but there is a little water in the wee containers now and the two hatchlings have been drinking from it.  I don't ahve chick crumbs yet, getting thsoe tomorrow lunchtime, but could grind up soem layers pellets to keep them going if need be - or is there anything else i should do?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 07:32:06 am »
Annie you can move them with no problem if they are dry, remember they can stay in the incubator and without food for 24 hours. Don't know if the mashed up layers pellets is ok or not for them, shame you were not closer as I just bought a BIG bag the other day for my chicks and could have given you some. Hope the others hatch soon.

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 09:08:21 am »
A mother hen / duck would grind up food in their beak for their chicks / ducklings so I'm sure they'll be fine with that - I always welcome my chicks into the world with a minced up hard boiled egg!
Let us kow if the others hatch!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 11:40:06 am »
I have four - have left the other eggs in the incubator but no sign of any pipping.  Moved the four musketeers to a cardboard box with a bulb over it and a plastic plate with a little water in it.  Also mashed up some layers pellets and a little bread in water so it's quite liquidy.  I had to help the other two as they seemed to have got tired and only the beak was visible poking out in one and the other one it seemed to be a wing so it must have turned and got wedged.  Just off out with Sandy and our dogs so will post photos later.

Sandy

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 11:50:43 pm »
They are so cute with big feet....great to watch them develop but lots of poo poo to come!! THanks for the walkies Anne, I might have to go sometime tomorrow as me and Steve will not be able to get out at night as we have someone arriving so one of us needs to be in...I shall pop out there when I have myself sorted and so give them a run...see you soon!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 11:53:28 pm »
I'll be going up sometime tomorrow too no doubt, but I might have the girls too so I'll keep out of your way if I see your car there.

Sandy

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 11:59:36 pm »
I shall try to get out before 11am as I want to do some more painting.....

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 12:19:02 am »
OK, it'll be afternoon before I go up.  I'm doing my painting first

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS