Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: why do dogs eat poo  (Read 7881 times)

hennypenny

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Cornwall
why do dogs eat poo
« on: August 01, 2010, 07:54:57 am »
My dog (golden retriever) - thick and useless insists on sneaking around and eating poo out of the cats litter tray.  Then an hour or so later will throw up all over the floor.

I know he tries to get out the door, But why does he do it?  Its not as if he dosnt get fed (far from it).

and when outside eats rabbit poo and probably would eat sheep and chicken poo also if allowed!

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
Re: why do dogs eat poo
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 07:56:45 am »
I don't know why they do it they just do.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 11:54:40 am »
There are various schools of thought on this - some say it's just they like the taste, some say it's a habit, others say it's a deficiency in their diet.  Mine will pick it up thinking I'm not looking then run off when they see I've noticed, so i never catch them actually eating it.  They know I don't like them doing ti but can't stop themselves.  If it's outside in the fields and rabbits/sheep etc I just don't look, but I don't like them eating cat poo as cats pick up worms from hunting all the time.  Can you keep the litter tray somewhere he can't reach it? or get a covered one?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

hennypenny

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Cornwall
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 02:08:02 pm »
would like to move the cat tray anyway, but where?  Everywhere it has to be on the floor.....will have to think about this one....

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 07:31:04 pm »

I have a very good cat litter tray which is covered and has a flap, I got it from Aldi. keeps the dogs out!
Anne

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 10:14:01 pm »
There is another one as well, why do dogs have to roll in fox poo?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 10:15:23 pm »
to cover their own scent so that their prey can't catch wind of them.

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 12:10:11 am »
Dogs eat poo for different reasons I think. Some eat it as youngsters because they see mum doing it and follow suit. Others do it because they get a reaction from us humans and decide to do it to get our attention. In both instances the poo needs to be removed as soon as it appears so to speak so that the dog doesn't get a chance to eat it and to develop a 'habit'
Whatever happens, if you see a dog eating poo, never shout at it or chase it as that will certainly make the dog more likely to do it again.

Can I ask what food the dog is on? That may have a baring too.

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

hennypenny

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Cornwall
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 07:57:18 am »
Dog eats dry food....its the only stuff that dosnt upset his tummy......Tesco chicken flavour premium complete.

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 08:23:03 am »
Dog eats dry food....its the only stuff that dosnt upset his tummy......Tesco chicken flavour premium complete.

Don't want to bang on but dogs take more of their food in to their system with a raw food diet.
If dogs eat other animals poo they may be lacking something in their diets which can be made up with a BARF diet.
Eating rabbit and sheep poo isn't the end of the world for dogs either.....just yack for us to watch  :)
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 08:45:01 am »
My springer LOVES chicken poo.  But in some ways I don't mind it as it keeps the garden relatively clear.  It does make me feel ill though if a chicken has just done a huge Mr. Whippy type poo and she immediately eats it!  She loves sheep ones too but that's a bit easier to stop her.  She's also on dry food (Hills's J/D) so there could be something in knightquest's theory.

dannidub2000

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Northants
    • Brook Farm Rare Breeds
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 07:14:09 pm »
Dogs are just grose  :love:
they love to eat poo!!! mine are always chomping on pig and calf muck, mmmm... they also love it when we are dehorning the calves as the burnt horns are a tastey morsel  :yum:
....they just do it cus they can... not gr8 when they wanna kiss u after mmm
Danni
Brook Farm Rare Breeds
Northants

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS