Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tick removal  (Read 7768 times)

Teresa

Re: Tick removal
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2010, 01:49:51 pm »
Another way to remove them is too wiggle them. Just use the tip of you finger to swirl them round in circles one way then the other and after a few goes they usually drop out head and all without leaving the mouth parts behind. Sometimes using a little surgical spirit just to mae them woozy and clean the area can help move them quicker. We never use hooks to get them out on dogs as you can sometimes leave behind a spike that comes out of the mouth parts in the skin which will result in an infection. Never burn!! Then enjoy the satisfying pop when you squash the bugger :D

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2010, 01:50:53 pm »
I always get them where I can't reach and the hospital always uses vaseline then removes it with a tick remover.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2010, 07:49:52 pm »
That's how our dog trainer removed one from Allez at Good Citizen class the other night.  I found it as we were sitting there, just stroking him, called Walter over, and he said 'best get it out now' and did it there and then - no ill effects at all.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

hennypenny

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Cornwall
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2010, 07:52:44 am »
More information...
was in my local smallholder shop....in launceston.  barry, the owner (and knowledgable chap) said use ordinary tweezers and heat them up very hot, then grab itand twist it round and out.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2010, 11:55:21 am »
Somebody told me it should be twisted anti clockwise but i never thought to ask why.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

DandG

• Joined Dec 2008
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2010, 01:01:40 pm »
We use the same method as Teresa has posted, just spin them with the tip of your finger, we have never had such a tick problem until we came to France, but this method has worked time and time again on our Border Collie and she has never had an infection, so already said, the head must all have come out.

Sandy

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2010, 07:56:30 am »
Rohan had a HUGE one on her back yesterday, it came off really easily as it was like a balloon, I trod on it and it popped and Rohan kept smelling all the blood, it was hers afterall, bloody things :(

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS