Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Nutting without getting nutted  (Read 6534 times)

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Nutting without getting nutted
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2019, 08:13:46 pm »
I find the safest feed troughs are the bases of blue plastic 45 gall drums. The barrels are @£5 each and you get 2 robust troughs from each - one from each end.

I used to use long yellow plastic ones - made from high pressure gas piping. Like Womble I would race to one end and run along to fill the trough but there would always be at least one sheep that had to overtake me and attempt to trip me up. This would slow me down sufficiently that I was surrounded by sheep before I got to the end and they always had to have their head in the trough so I couldn't even pour the food in. :rant:

Then - enter the blue plastic troughs. :excited:  they will comfortably fit 6 sheep round at a time, although up to 100 will attempt to fit in the first trough before the rest are filled. Because they are circular, you can throw a scoop into the first. This diverts the entire flock and while they are fighting over a single trough, you can safely go and fill up the rest. They don't try and get ahead of you like they do with a long trough because they don't know which one you're going to fill next.  ;D Then gradually the sheep disperse to the remaining troughs and have been safely fed without tripping you up, nor the necessity for foul language and an increasing hatred of sheep. They really do spread out to a max of 6 sheep/trough so you know instantly whether you have sufficient trough space. The troughs are also easily tipped up to get water out or clods of earth etc.   
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 08:18:30 pm by landroverroy »
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2019, 02:10:00 pm »
My sheep troughs were full of snow this morning, so I had to empty them before I could tip the feed in ..... there I was with a bucket of feed in one hand and clearing out the troughs with the other ... and the sheep kept a respectful 2-3 metres away at all times until I was ready for them to come to the troughs :)
The same goes for when I fill up the hay racks - the sheep keep away until I am done - this also prevents stuff flying all over them and bits getting in their eyes when it's windy!

A good welsh dog is very handy :)

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2019, 07:31:17 am »
  I'd forgotten everything I'd learned last year as I went out with a bucket to my pregnant ewes for the first time yesterday..... intending to put nuts into trough area at base of mobile field hay rack …..

just tipped bucket ………… sheep to the left of me... sheep to the right..... and one between my legs …. I am now totally pinned up against the hay rack by fat bellies …. holding bucket in air to stop any other bug*** grabbing it ….. there was no way I could move either leg …… so I just stood their laughing  :roflanim:  :roflanim: shame the is no photo! 

Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS