Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Nutting without getting nutted  (Read 6536 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Nutting without getting nutted
« on: December 28, 2017, 12:30:01 pm »
So since it's both Christmas and flippin' freezing, I thought I'd give the ewes a bucket of nuts this morning.

I bravely entered their field carrying said bucket in one hand and a scoop in the other, wading  through the thick mass of sheep until I reached their trough. However, when I put the first scoop of nuts down, one stripy nose pinned the scoop to the ground, a second ewe jumped up and got its head into the bucket, whilst a third stuck its head between my legs, and then looked up rather suddenly  :o .

I ended up lying on the frozen ground clutching my b :censored: cks, whilst the remaining ewes trampled all over me to get to the now spilled bucket.

So, as I lay there staring at the sky I thought to myself, Surely the good people of TAS have figured out a better way to do this by now?  :roflanim:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Nutting without getting nutted
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 12:42:52 pm »
I fed mine on the ground the other day, no pushing, no trampling, no one getting left out :thumbsup:

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 01:05:58 pm »

I think it was a coordinated attack and you didn't stand a chance.  :roflanim: :roflanim:

Lots of sheep or bullies - put feed in a bag and then empty from one end of trough to the other. Distract with a handful on the floor whilst filling trough. Hard ground, don't bother with trough. Wide troughs so you can still get food in even with heads in trough.

Other tips - keep your legs closed, send the wife, don't feel sorry for them......

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 04:44:36 pm »
Your sheep must have been in contact with mine on a secret facebook channel in order to create some bid for a world take over.

Its nice to have bucket led sheep in all honesty - my misses has a better time leading the sheep from field to field.  I can never be bothered getting food in the bucket and they have learned the sound of gravel and not to be fooled by it :)

The only sly and stealth method I can offer is - dont feed them in the same place and careful not to jangle the bucket as you fall over a hedge trying to get to a bit of the field that allows you to run 100m in 10 seconds before they arrive ;)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 04:59:41 pm »
Put the trough just inside the gate, or the other side of a fence so you can lean over.

Have enough troughs so there's plenty of room per sheep.

Measure the right amount into a small bucket before you go out there, start at one end and keep ahead of the crowd.

Don't let them near your eyes or other delicate bits.

Give them a good talking to, and don't put the food out until they behave - well, it works for Mr F

Don't bother with the tups or you really will be butted to death.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

EP90

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Ireland
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 05:09:19 pm »
Womble, your posts need a spoiler alert or health warning "not to be drinking hot tea when reading"   :roflanim:

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2017, 05:23:00 pm »
2 troughs ..... throw handful pellets into one trough then leg it to other one with bucket before sheep realise you still have most of the feed .... works well except when very muddy (when sheep can travel faster than you) or on steep slopes! 
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2017, 05:26:04 pm »
I put three troughs in a Y shape with a space in the middle.  Stand in the space and throw a handful of feed into each trough, hard enough so it runs along the trough.  Then when they pile in you can nip into the gaps and share out the rest.  This plan works unless you have ewes like some of our Badger Face which keep their noses glued to the bucket and follow it around hoping for the chance to put their heads in it, rather than reading the script and eating from the trough.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2017, 05:30:39 pm »

If I can, I have a hurdle pen just inside the field entrance with the troughs in there. Can go into field, fill up troughs while the sheep queue up from the other side, open gate (sometimes with difficulty) and if I need I can close them in quickly as well. Once they finish, get shoo-ed out and hurdle shut... works well until OH goes to do the feeding, gets bored waiting for the girls to finish and leaves hurdle gate open... so they wait for me next day inside the pen...

If you feed a pelleted feed, then it's easy to fee don the ground when frozen/snowed.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2017, 05:48:35 pm »
How about making a corridor/walkway in using hurdles or fencing, troughs lining the outside so you can walk round the inside throwing feed over into troughs.
Not half as much fun and wouldn't give us such a laugh though ;D

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2017, 08:01:27 pm »
Tiptoe out whilst it's still dark, oh and don't forget to oil the gate hinges. :hugsheep:
Anne

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2017, 08:16:26 pm »
I gave up and mine now have to walk orderly down a race to the pens with the feed already put out.  Once trained it saves a lot of swear words.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2017, 09:26:21 pm »
Womble I feel your pain, Ive had this ,not with sheep but playful pigs after fruit treats

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2017, 10:41:26 pm »
2 troughs ..... throw handful pellets into one trough then leg it to other one with bucket before sheep realise you still have most of the feed .... works well except when very muddy (when sheep can travel faster than you) or on steep slopes!

This is my technique.  Plus, with the very large and over-familiar Zwartbleses, demanding respect.  Anyone getting in front of me, or otherwise impeding me, gets a lesson in manners - and no food until she's maintaining a respectful distance.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2017, 06:23:11 pm »
stand over the trough at one end and walk backwards pouring as I go. Those behind me must go round to the front to get any.  Oh yeah only got Ouessants....  easy :-) 
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS