Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Nutting without getting nutted  (Read 6535 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Nutting without getting nutted
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2017, 09:37:07 pm »
I'm going to have to give that one a go Kanisha, and have Mrs Womble video me as I go!  :roflanim:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2017, 02:55:47 pm »
I'm going to have to give that one a go Kanisha, and have Mrs Womble video me as I go!  :roflanim:

It'll be a short video, but very funny  :roflanim:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2018, 09:58:56 am »
I'd agree with Backinwellies - spread out the troughs, drop a bit in the first one then leg it to the other end of the last trough and back fill as you walk back down the line.  That seems to confuse mine sufficiently to be able to get the feed in the troughs.  Defo make sure you have the right amount in the bucket/bag to begin with, don't bother with scoops, some daft ewe will just head butt it out of your hand. :)  Having more troughs than you need helps a lot.  Alternatively use rolls instead of nuts and feed direct on the ground if you have a dry bit somewhere.

A dog that will keep to your heel also works well to clear you a path!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2018, 11:01:35 am »
A dog that will keep to your heel also works well to clear you a path!

Depending on your sheep and their numbers.  ;).  I had a collie would run along in front of the quad which was pulling a ‘snacker’ cake-dispensing device as we laid a line for 450 Swaledale ewes on the moorland top.  Same dog hunkered down and refused to jump off the dog-carrier on the back of the bike when we went to feed the 80 North of England Mules.  If I tried to get him off he’d flatten himself and give me a, “What?!  You think I’m getting off in front of that ravening horde?!  I ain’t got no death wish!!” look.  :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2018, 02:13:43 pm »
Depending on your sheep and their numbers.  ;) .  I had a collie would run along in front of the quad which was pulling a ‘snacker’ cake-dispensing device as we laid a line for 450 Swaledale ewes on the moorland top.  Same dog hunkered down and refused to jump off the dog-carrier on the back of the bike when we went to feed the 80 North of England Mules.  If I tried to get him off he’d flatten himself and give me a, “What?!  You think I’m getting off in front of that ravening horde?!  I ain’t got no death wish!!” look.  :D

Haha, ok then, a dog that has some presence about it (aka balls).
(If you have a lot of sheep then get yourself a Welsh Sheepdog :D , they will do this and more)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2018, 03:54:27 pm »
Er, folks, the whole reason we train them to come to a bucket is to SAVE us the cost of the dog food!  ;D

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2018, 04:00:19 pm »
Er, folks, the whole reason we train them to come to a bucket is to SAVE us the cost of the dog food!  ;D
True :), but clearly sometimes the bucket training works a little too well!  Hahaha!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2018, 08:44:08 pm »

When we were planning the move to the 1000-acre moorland farm with hefted 530-ewe flock of mainly Swales, and I was searching for a couple of working collie dogs, one of my friends said that surely we would just need to train the sheep to follow a bucket.  I often used to think of him as I ran the quad full pelt, dispensing cake from the snacker, while being pursued by the 450 Swaledale ewes... If I could’ve spared a hand, I’d have videod it for him, but truly, it took all my attention to avoid running over the colllie, any of the sheep, landing in an irrigation ditch, or being rendered immobile by a press of woolly bodies I’d failed to outrun  :roflanim:  (All of which happened at least once :/)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2018, 09:39:50 pm »
OK, so I've figured it out!    :dunce:

I was soooo confused that the sheep seemed somehow hungrier this year than last, since last year I was able to scoop food into the trough without any issue, by putting it in the spaces between where the sheep were.

This year, we're using the same trough, but there just aren't the same number of spaces....... it's almost as if the flock has increased by a third...... oooooh, wait a minute.....  :idea:

So, I went down to the feed store this afternoon and bought a second Paxton LF3 trough. Problem solved!  ;D

Actually, I have to say I really like this design. It's really easy to pick up and carry (unlike an equivalent sized wooden one). The downside is that they're £50+VAT, but if it's one of those things that "just works", and lasts a long time, I don't mind paying that.

P.S. before somebody points it out, I know those aren't sheep!  :innocent:
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 09:42:00 pm by Womble »

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2018, 03:45:53 pm »
The plastic feeders are awesome, I have got a few now replacing metal.

They are easier to carry both on foot and straddled across your lap on a quad. - and they bend and bend back after hitting hedges in transport or getting stomped on. The old metal troughs seem to be ok but recently in the last few years the quality of IAE troughs has been 'lightwieght' good for transport but they bend when blown across a field in a storm

Badger Nadgers

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Derbyshire/North Staffs
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2018, 12:12:30 am »
No-one else waltzing for feeding sheep nuts/rolls on the ground?

Part filled feed sack under arm, hole cut in corner.  Tip out whilst rotating in almost a full circle (not a full one or you won't get out alive), then step out of it in a random direction and repeat but rotating the other way.  You'll end up making a series of circles over where you want to feed them and with groups facing each other they are so engrossed in making sure they get some before others in their ring do that they're less prone to charge away and see what another lot have got.  Looks a bit daft, but allows opportunties for persuading more gullible members of the public that you're teaching them to dance for one of the celebrity TV programs. 

Badger Nadgers

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Derbyshire/North Staffs
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2018, 12:21:30 am »
This year, we're using the same trough, but there just aren't the same number of spaces....... it's almost as if the flock has increased by a third...... oooooh, wait a minute.....  :idea:

Also applies to hay and time, and seems to be a lesson I have to relearn every year.

For troughs I do the already bent/repaired ones from auctions, just stear clear of any with sharp edges.  £9 each, spray paint postcode on bottom.  Better ones for about £12 go out of sight in the shed under hayracks.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2019, 09:38:01 am »
Folks, I just thought this thread might be worth revisiting for this winter in case anybody else is having similar issues.

Our system is now to have two of the long paxton plastic troughs laid end to end, and perpendicular to the fence.

The feed bucket then goes on top of an upturned bucket at the other side of the fence, before I go through the gate to confront the hungry hordes.

I firstly tip the troughs over to empty out any rainwater, then walk up to the end of the nearest trough, stand astride it and reach over and pick up the bucket, before walking backwards, distributing food as I go.

The ewes then have to go round to my front to get any food, and the bucket has so far stopped any from nutting me in the b*lls!

Then I run off and do the hay feeders quickly before they run out of muesli!

It sounds really obvious now I come to write it down, but I thought I would, just in case it's helpful to anybody else.

Twotwo

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2019, 11:08:21 am »
Mine felled me the other day.. all anyone would have seen was an arm aloft holding a pair of glasses out of the way of many feet !!! Much more firm with them now.
I find using a scoop and scooping mix out of the bucket works fairly well.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2019, 01:56:21 pm »
I only have 5 and i felt threatened as i was pushed about this morning. Its those fleeces, i dont think they realise how big they are  :)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 03:12:44 pm by Penninehillbilly »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS