Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Post and Rail/Stock Fencing  (Read 7775 times)

Shnoowie

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Cornwall
    • Binty's Farm
Post and Rail/Stock Fencing
« on: July 23, 2010, 02:19:34 am »
Hi all,

Yesterday we acquired our very first field - this one is actually ours!  We're looking at fencing it properly.
The boundaries are secure Devon banks and hedges with stock fencing around the whole 3.9 acres, but we would like to split it into separate paddocks of about 1.3 acres each.
The idea is to rent it our for equestrian grazing to get some money back from it before we move our flock of sheep up.  Consequently, we don't want to use barbed wire!  Post and rail seemed like a good idea, with some stock wire along the bottom to stop escaping sheep.
What would people pay for this sort of thing?

I think we're looking at around 1,275ft of fencing in total (though my maths may not be great).  I've costed it up very roughly and the materials (plus gates) are coming to around £1600, and that is if we only have a top rail on the posts!  Is that about right or too much?

Thanks in advance! :sheep:

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
Re: Post and Rail/Stock Fencing
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 12:52:02 pm »
Hi there!

Congratulations on your purchase!! ;D

If it's grazing only with no stables etc, in my area you'd be looking at £10 per week per horse. I charge this inclusive of electric and water for grass livery.

Stock fencing puts me a bit on edge because of feet etc getting stuck but it obviously isn't as bad as barbed wire! Also if you want the horses to leave once your sheep are in there, you might limit your potential liveries as most people are looking at places that will take them for the winter at the moment.

If the horses are a long term thing you wouldn't want more than 3 large horses on the land at the most so you could rotate and keep the ground in a reasonable state.  Whatever you decide to do, enjoy!!;D

trefnantbach

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 01:11:08 pm »
have you thought of some electric fencing?
We had a similar dilemma when we got out small holding recently. We split one 1ha field down the middle with two strands of electic tape with wooden posts at 8m intervals to keep pony on one side. We've subsequently split her side again when the spring grass started growing. We've now got sheep on the other side and I added two strands of electrowire below the tape to keep them in - works 100% and is flexible.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 03:29:45 pm »
I agree, post and rail fencing is very expensive, especially as you only need it temporarily, and labour intensive to erect.  If you divide up a small field into small parcels it makes getting in with a tractor and implements impossible.  With electric tape you can dismantle it when you need to and it seems to keep horses in well enough.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Shnoowie

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Cornwall
    • Binty's Farm
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 03:58:10 pm »
We've got some electric fence, but it doesn't work well for the sheep at the moment!
We wouldn't be using it for our sheep for about 2 years as the flock is still in early stages.  The idea of having stock and post and rail is to keep it tidy and to separate our flock in the future (we have commoners rights and so would have our Ryelands and some Mules).

We're looking at putting up a couple for field shelters too, the price keeps going up!

old ploughman

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 09:21:14 pm »
I would suggest you put up a stocknet fence and replace the top rail with an electrified plain wire. This will save you an unnecessary expense of around £480ish of rails which the horses will happily chew to pieces for you. You could buy a mains electrical system for much less than that. I would recommend that you use high tensile stocknet if you have mules (would recommend it anyway!) (HT8/80/15), medium (C8/80/15) is a false economy.

By doing away with your top rail you can easily space your stakes out to 2.5m saving you around a further £80 on stakes. Your estimate seems a bit high to me - I got that shopping list to nearer £1300, allowing for 3 gateways with 12' steel gates - suppose prices vary around the country and where you buy the materials - avoid places like Wynnstay/ Countrywide for your posts etc.

If you had a contractor in to do the job, I would suggest allowing for erecting costs of roughly £730 for the electrified wire + stocknet + 3 gateways - allow £950 for the top rail + stocknet+ 3 gateways. If you are not experienced at fencing, go for a contractor as it will cost you more in the long run doing it yourself - I have done so many jobs where we have had to reinstall fencing that just wasn't up to the job - bite the bullet at the start and then sleep easy knowing that your fences are secure - a good fence put up right will last you at least 20 years.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS