Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Is Grazon 90 safe?  (Read 28986 times)

Advertisement

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
Is Grazon 90 safe?
« on: June 13, 2010, 07:30:12 pm »
We have 2 fields sectioned into various paddocks that I rotate the horses and sheep around.  In the last 4 years we havent treated the fields with anything at all and manually removed any ragwort.

Last year we noticed lots and lots of docks and this year there are more docks than there is grass - or so it seems.

So I took some advice and a fellow horsey friend of mine advised me to use Grazon 90.  She doesnt collect her manure or grow veggies - unlike us.

So when i read the instructions, it tells me to keep horses off for 7 days - no problem.  THEN I read the part that says not to use the manure but doesnt give a timescale - so does that mean not to use the manure EVER?  Or what?  And if we've never to use the manure, what on earth does this mean that we are indirectly feeding our horses/sheep??

I spoke to our local farmer and he says he's used it before but they dont collect or use their manure so apparently less of an issue for them.

Any thoughts/advice please?

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Is Grazon 90 safe?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 08:16:06 pm »
I've used Grazon 90 once and found it didn't kill anything - maybe I diluted it wrong!  I als read about not using the manure and didn't like the implications of that.

My neighbour, who's field is always empty, neglected his field and it got covered in Docks. For the last two years he has been mowing it and all the docks have gone.  Could regularly strimming your docks be an option for you?

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 09:41:26 pm »
thanks, but no i dont think so as we need to put the horses in there.  i've found quite a bit on it and i have to say that i am a bit worried about it now tbh!  i think maybe i'll combine putting the sheep on it and digging as much as i can out with the ragfork every time i'm in there.  maybe if i try and do a few hours every week it will help......will probably only take me about THREE years!

Susie

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 01:35:03 pm »
Probably too late with this post now but I think there is something about not planting certain types of fruit/veg (peas and beans I think) after using Grazon 90 as it can have a detrimental effect on them. I guess if you were to use the manure on the veg patch you might transfer this across. I know somebody who has used this in the past and they didn't use the manure for 12 months - their choice though, I don't think they could get a clear idea of the guidelines either. Sounds like you've decided against it now anyway - good luck with the sheep and the digging - definitely sounds safer!

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 10:34:49 am »
Grazon is designed as a spot treatment to spray off small patches of weeds in a field. The ideal is that you go round with a knapsack sprayer just treating the weed patches.
Also if you want it to work, you need to spray the weeds at the right stage of growth - when they are growing quickly but not big. Generally called "rosette" stage. If they are smaller they won't absorb enough spray through the leaves and bigger than this, and the plants will be too strong to be affected much.  I would think that you are probably too late in the growing season now. Having said that you could try cutting the weeds and then spraying as they regrow.

Given that it is a spot treatment there will be areas of the field that you haven't sprayed that you can collect the muck from.

If you need to do more that spot treat, you need to use a different spray.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 05:41:45 pm »
Grazon is designed as a spot treatment to spray off small patches of weeds in a field. The ideal is that you go round with a knapsack sprayer just treating the weed patches.
Also if you want it to work, you need to spray the weeds at the right stage of growth - when they are growing quickly but not big. Generally called "rosette" stage. If they are smaller they won't absorb enough spray through the leaves and bigger than this, and the plants will be too strong to be affected much.  I would think that you are probably too late in the growing season now. Having said that you could try cutting the weeds and then spraying as they regrow.

Given that it is a spot treatment there will be areas of the field that you haven't sprayed that you can collect the muck from.

If you need to do more that spot treat, you need to use a different spray.

thanks for this and, yes i think they are too big now, and yes, i think there are far too many to 'spot treat'.  so it looking like lots of chopping and digging for us over the next few weeks....

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 03:23:22 pm »
Your can get small sprayers which fit on the back of a quad bike which can be used to cover fairly large areas. We did a large thistled patch in one of our fields with "pastor" in one if these sprayers and it has been very effective. Pastor would work equally well on docks.

I don't think you will make much progress with cutting and digging - I can't even get then under control in the veg patch, let alone on a field scale.

Did have some pictures of spraying with the quad, but accidentally deleted the folder :-[
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

pasture eyes

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 09:10:20 pm »
egglady
Phone your local herbicide supplier and ask to speak to an agronomist, they will advise you of best treatment to compliment your requirments ref manure etc.    There are other herbicides like Pastor etc that will do the job, but take professional advice as above.   
Good Luck.     :farmer:

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 11:06:03 pm »
thank you

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2010, 08:53:45 am »
I find pastor to be the most effective against docks thistles and nettles and we use it on our fields. it is safe to animals especially once dry. It doesn't seem to affect the veg if we use manure from affected areas. however if it is sprayed onto plants late then they must be topped after about 2 weeks as they will still struggle to produce seeds for the following year. As an aside we alternate the fields we spray each year so that they only get sprayed one year in 3 (6 fields)
Ian

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS