Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Petrol chainsaw for firewood  (Read 7079 times)

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
Petrol chainsaw for firewood
« on: December 02, 2017, 07:33:56 pm »
I'm needing to get myself a chainsaw and whilst an electric one around the garden would suffice, it wouldn't work for when I'm out and about. Will only occasionally need to fell a tree below 15" dia

So I'm looking at getting a petrol chainsaw (after doing my NPTC ticket), and I've sort of narrowed it down to three makes and models.

Stihl MS211 C-BE
Mcculloch MS35S (Husqvarna components)
Husqvarna 345

Anyone used these or have others to look at?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 07:39:23 pm by alang »
I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
Re: Petrol chainsaw for firewood
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 09:09:37 pm »
Personally I would go for the Husky, lots of dealer back up. The saw its self is easy to start and quite powerful , have taken down +/- 20" ers .
Dont forget the gear, a set of wedges and plety of spare chain.

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 09:28:42 pm »
Oh I'd defo have the gear. Engineer by trade so H&S is a must.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 11:04:28 pm »
If only for ocassional use then I'd go cheap and wait until  lidl will doubtless be doing a chainsaw offer again towards spring. I've got a big stihl I traded up my small original one for (got some big trees here) which gets way too heavy for the smaller jobs. Rather than shell out for another expensive saw I bought a cheapo lidl 'gardenline' one and it's always been an easy starter, plenty of power for those smaller jobs and has an nice easy spannerless chain tensioner on it. Lidl stuff comes with a 3yr warranty too.
It's how well you keep the chain sharp that has more to do with chainsaws than brand names.

..as someone who had a near miss the one day he got lazy (shredded the jeans but left me unmarked) I totally agree with PPE.. gloves, trousers, sleeves boots etc.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 11:55:52 pm »
I can't comment on how good the Lidl ones are, but I would say that a chainsaw is one tool where it's worth spending the money for quality. My friend bought a cheap chinese Husqy copy from ebay, and I'll be honest, I won't go near the thing!  Although it looks much the same as mine, the broken chain catcher for example is just made of plastic, whereas the one on my saw is metal. Also in practice, when we're out together, he definitely seems to spend more time swearing and getting oily than me!  Just saying!!  :)

Several of the good manufacturers do 'homeowner' saws which would be a good bet for occasional use. They're still good quality, but just have a bit less vibration damping and are a bit heavier than the professional quality saws.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 12:01:00 am »
I'm with pgkevet on cost, especially if for occasional use. 
I'm not convinced that the premium brands (Stihl & Husqvarna in particular) can still justify their very premium prices.  I don't have a chainsaw, but have other relatively modern Husky & Stihl gear - I'm far from overwhelmed!  My fav' & most reliable bit of kit is a cheapo Tondu multi-tool!   
If it must be a Husky chainsaw, I would mention friend's experience of his recent new saw "out of the box":  it would not fire up no matter what. I seem to think 'twas supplier who eventually advised him to take out plug and tip it over to empty cylinder: whatever, that is what he did and a load of oil drained out.  Fired up fine after that!   
[Actually: friend's new chainsaw might be a Stihl rather than Husky - either way, if it won't fire up out of the box ......]
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 12:04:10 am by arobwk »

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 12:31:54 am »
...... Several of the good manufacturers do 'homeowner' saws which would be a good bet for occasional use. They're still good quality, but just have a bit less vibration damping and are a bit heavier than the professional quality saws.

I would go with that as a reasonable value-for-money bet  e.g. McCulloch (as just one branding example).

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 09:46:37 am »
I 've used something called COBRA at work and it was rubbish.
Bought the cheapest model of Husqvarna for £120 and it's brilliant. Much better quality for the same price. I used to to fell trees, chop them down for firewood. I ve done three van loads of logs with it last year.

If you are buying a chainsaw there are only to brands in the world that are worth buying from - Husqvarna or Stihl. Don't even look at anything else!
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2017, 02:47:11 pm »
I have the still ms211 c be

I love it, I started with a b and q homelite which I used for occasional large gardening projects for years but it was never great...
When we moved here with 1/2ish acre of overgrown woodland I treated myself to a better saw, most of what I cut is 20 to 30 year old sycamore so it's mostly only about 12inch at the stump even if it's 30ft tall, I run a 16 inch bar for cutting and logging.
I have once used it to take down a 20inch plus Oak trunk for a friend and with a new chain it managed but was pushing it really.

Learn to sharpen chains quickly and regularly in the woods as well as on a bench, sharp chain is your best friend on any saw...

Glencairn

• Joined Jun 2017
  • Dumfriesshire
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2017, 04:28:29 pm »
I went off the Husqvarna line up after they started making all except the professional line in China.

I bought a new Echo a couple of years ago and that ticked all the boxes once I'd adjusted the carburettor.

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2017, 04:29:23 pm »
Cheers everyone. The McCulloch has got some good reviews and is a decent amount cheaper than it's parent company, Husqvarna, and Stihl models. Butihave to admit being a Stihl man as i lived in Germany for a few years andi mostly saw Stihl there.

Glencairn

• Joined Jun 2017
  • Dumfriesshire
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2017, 04:39:34 pm »
As I understand it you have to buy a Stihl face to face as they have a policy on not selling them mail order.

They had a very comprehensive line up in Highland Industrial Supplies so they might be worth a look.

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2017, 04:44:05 pm »
They had a very comprehensive line up in Highland Industrial Supplies so they might be worth a look.

That's where i got the Stihl brochure from. The guys in Elgin have been very helpful.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2017, 04:53:46 pm »
As I understand it you have to buy a Stihl face to face as they have a policy on not selling them mail order.

It depends from which supplier you are buying. To buy a top handle chainsaw you have to show your certificate and buy in person.
Stihl are more expensive than husqvarna in the UK but in some places (sweden) it's opposite Lol
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Glencairn

• Joined Jun 2017
  • Dumfriesshire
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2017, 05:11:47 pm »
It depends from which supplier you are buying. To buy a top handle chainsaw you have to show your certificate and buy in person.
Stihl are more expensive than husqvarna in the UK but in some places (sweden) it's opposite Lol

No suppliers can post Stihls:
https://www.mad4mowers.co.uk/page/stihlpolicy

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS