Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Petrol chainsaw for firewood  (Read 7082 times)

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
Re: Petrol chainsaw for firewood
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2017, 06:10:43 pm »
Oh I didn't know that!
There's plenty of stihl suppliers around though!
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2017, 06:29:47 pm »
There's plenty of stihl suppliers around though!

Despite an earlier post of mine questioning the value of high priced premium brands, I do have to admit that support is a factor to be considered, especially if one is not into DIY repairs and sourcing spares independently.  (They are still over-priced though!)

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2017, 09:20:30 pm »
I bought the smallest in the range about twelve years ago now, the stihl ms 180, or it might be 170 , with a 14" bar.  It has been used for general fire wood cutting and felling trees, none massive obviously.  It is light easy to use and reliable.  I once for got where it was and it got bulldozed into a huge heap of brash with my jcb and lived on !

I also bought one of these to use it in  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/06062-Metal-Chainsaw-Log-Saw-Horse-Stand-Holder-Clamp-For-Sawing-Logs-Saw-new-/371456790566?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

I have found it invaluable and much safer when logging.  A few firms make them.  In twelve years I have twice needed a larger saw for when full mature trees blew over and needed logging, Even then it was only for the biggest bits of the trunk, I just borrowed one from a farmer friend....you can hire. In my experience 99% of what you do only needs a small saw. The light weight is your friend when you use one for a few hours.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 09:23:30 pm by stufe35 »

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2017, 03:54:25 pm »
Thanks for all the replies. I've sort of made my mind up to get the McCulloch for now and 'upgrade' should i need to. Although i'd love a Stihl.

I've sorted out the helmet, gloves, boots and trousers. Just need to sort out my NPTC ticket when funds allow. Safety is everything when using kit like this.
I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2017, 04:14:12 pm »
If you google 'chainsaw safety video'  you will find any amount of videos on youtube to sit and watch for free.  For home use in sensible hands as you clearly are I believe this would be quite adequate- or at least after watching them I think you would be able to make the judgement yourself whether you are comfortable to get on without further training given the type of work you know you are going to tackle.

Expensive qualifications are needed For use in the work place, to cover the employer.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 07:49:14 pm by stufe35 »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS