Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tupping  (Read 8863 times)

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
Re: Tupping
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2017, 12:51:26 pm »
Has there definitely not been another tup near them?   

nimbusllama

• Joined Nov 2010
  • Near Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2017, 12:58:38 pm »
I agree get another tup, if you have ruled out the following.  Are the sheep coloured in which case you might not see the raddle mark?  You said you used powder, forgive me for stating the obvious, but did you mix it with grease or oil before applying it?  If the sheep are white and the raddle effective then get another tup.  If not then it is possible that he is doing the deed without you realising it.

Gunestone

• Joined Jan 2017
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2017, 05:33:02 pm »
Thanks for all the advice. To answer a few questions, yes the raddle was mixed with oil, there is no way another tup could have got at them, they aren't coloured so much that we wouldn't see the raddle (yellow) and two of them are white. 

We have another tup arriving early Tuesday  :relief: Unfortunately lambing will be later than desired, but not much we can do about that now  :(

nimbusllama

• Joined Nov 2010
  • Near Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2017, 08:05:18 am »
Good luck with the new tup, keep us posted  :thumbsup:

Gunestone

• Joined Jan 2017
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2017, 02:38:23 pm »
Typical ram!! I have just been out and he has marked one of the ewes  ;D They must have been late cycling after all.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2017, 03:42:50 pm »
Typical ram!! I have just been out and he has marked one of the ewes  ;D They must have been late cycling after all.
They are mind readers LOL, he must have been worried whether he had a future  :)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 06:08:01 pm by penninehillbilly »

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2017, 06:01:19 pm »

Or the first ram didn't do his job and this one is.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2017, 06:23:17 pm »
Ewes running with a ram not cycling for 22days is  very very far from the norm , maybe he was trying just not getting it right ,  rams should be watched to see if they  are working correctly

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2017, 09:13:57 pm »

Or the first ram didn't do his job and this one is.

I’m reading it that the questionable tup lamb has now marked a ewe. The new tup isn’t there yet, he’s due tomorrow I think
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Gunestone

• Joined Jan 2017
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2017, 08:39:34 am »
Right, the original tup has decided he would rather do his job than move to the freezer...

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2017, 09:28:49 am »
Ah! You should have mentioned the word freezer to him earlier!!!  :innocent:

firther

• Joined Mar 2013
  • holmfirth, west yorkshire
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2017, 07:18:02 am »
mine were a couple of weeks starting this year before they were served, and I know neighbours have found same thing happening. Don't know if it were because autumn were milder than normal or not. didn't stop raining though lol

daveh

• Joined Nov 2008
  • South Northamptonshire
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2017, 05:28:59 pm »
I keep two breeds, Cotswolds and Castlemilk Moorits. I have found that putting a Cotswold ram in with the ewes results in immediate action. The ram goes in on 20th October.

The CMM ram goes in on 1st November as we have found that this date is the earliest that CMM ewes are interested in the ram. Some ewes continue to be uninterested until we have had the first frost of the year. Don't know why but I do have some difficulties in understanding the nuances of female behaviour.

Regards, Dave

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2017, 09:49:51 pm »
My primitives are certainly less likely to come on early than the crossbreds and the long wool.  When I was farming commercial sheep we had to start keeping the tups separate once we'd got Charollais blood in the mix...
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS