Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tupping  (Read 8898 times)

Gunestone

• Joined Jan 2017
Tupping
« on: November 29, 2017, 06:30:44 pm »
So we have this ram lamb on our ewes and he has been in since the 11th of November. He has not tupped a single ewe, which seems very odd. Either he is not interested at all, or the ewes aren't cycling. Should we wait a bit longer or get another tup for them?

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Tupping
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 06:45:03 pm »
I assume that he is raddled. I would swap tup.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 07:00:02 pm »
One full cycle , all should have been tupped ,even if not cycling when the ram went in after a week to 10days they should have started , so change the ram

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 08:20:05 pm »
How old is the Ram lamb and how old are the ewes? Sometime you get a ram that's just not interested.

Gunestone

• Joined Jan 2017
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 08:26:39 pm »
Thanks for the replies, I think we'll have to get another ram. The ewes are all experienced except one, two 5 year olds, a 4 year old and a shearling.  The ram was born in May and is small compared to the ewes, but he shows no interest in them at all.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 08:28:00 pm »
One full cycle , all should have been tupped ,even if not cycling when the ram went in after a week to 10days they should have started , so change the ram
My ewes weren’t tupped this year until day 19-23 this year. Only 1 went before that on day 1! But the rest all came cycling together a little later than normal.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 07:18:22 am »
Thanks for the replies, I think we'll have to get another ram. The ewes are all experienced except one, two 5 year olds, a 4 year old and a shearling.  The ram was born in May and is small compared to the ewes, but he shows no interest in them at all.

He may be a bit young still.

You didn’t answer is he raddled?  Some tups aren’t very demonstrative and don’t even stick to cycling ewes for hours, so simply not seeing any action doesn’t mean there hasn’t been any tupping ;).
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 10:14:22 am »

If he has got a raddle on it may be chafing... I have found that raddles don't work very well, as the slightest bit of rubbing can put the tup off totally. Have now just used raddle powder (mixed with vegetable oil) and smeared generously on his chest, and that works well.

I would have thought a May-born lamb may be just a bit on the young side for fully grown ewes, he may actually be a bit intimidated by them all... having said that my ewes were very slow to start cycling - tup (adult) went in Nov 5th and no action at all for the first week, and only 3 tupped by the end of two weeks... but he has speeded up now and hopefully all done by the end of this week.

Gunestone

• Joined Jan 2017
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2017, 12:01:04 pm »
Yes he is raddled, with the powder not a harness. I was thinking he may be young also, the ewes certainly seem to boss him around a lot.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2017, 12:45:30 pm »
A may born lamb should still be sexually active , are his testes of a good size ?    in all my 50yrs with  maybe 500 rams of different ages the only ram lambs that were slow to be active were  artificially reared in a male only group so had never encountered females .

m3joeEm

• Joined Jan 2015
  • Northern Ireland
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2017, 01:31:14 pm »
The ram must be gay...

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2017, 09:02:29 pm »
Maybe the ewes are late cycling? We started to worry about our ram as he wasn't doing anything, ewes still hung around but then he mated 7 in one day so I think they were late cycling this year.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2017, 08:34:57 am »
Have the ewes been coming on to him?  Have they been calling and pacing the fenceline?  If the latter, he’s not ready / infertile.  If the former, it might be he’s had a go, it all went wrong and it’s put him off, or that he’s simply too immature.  If neither, it could be the ewes haven’t started cycling yet.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2017, 09:41:53 am »
it might be he’s had a go, it all went wrong and it’s put him off, or that he’s simply too immature. 

I have a bit of sympathy for that, as it sounds a lot like me as a teenager!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2017, 11:53:13 am »
I'd get another tup, sharpish.  You don't want to leave it any later and be lambing in May when the flies are active.  If the ram lamb was born late May he may well be too immature to work yet.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS