Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Disposal of petrol  (Read 7588 times)

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
Disposal of petrol
« on: November 25, 2017, 03:36:16 pm »
Lbarron's thread about disposing of propachlor herbicide prompts me to ask how other folk dispose of contaminated fuel.  I was pleased to find that my local civic amenity centre does take old engine coolant, but disappointed to find they won't take stale/contaminated petrol.  "Try the Police" I was advised!!   Can't think why the Police would be taking in old petrol so I haven't actually made that call!
I'm talking about the odd bit arising from garden machinery maintenance/repairs if I don't feel happy to pour any drained fuel back in. Thankfully I don't have much so I'm just storing it for now.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
Re: Disposal of petrol
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 05:15:10 pm »
I hear its good for cleaning cat litter trays

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 07:38:34 pm »
See if you can find somebody with a petrol camping stove, and then just leave it running. It will go for a while, but at least you'll be rid of it safely.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 07:24:11 am »
We have found the 98 octane petrol lasts longer than the 95, although it is more expensive.

Bought a cheap syphon pump and tube assembly which we use to drain off petrol from equipment that is used infrequently. This was a result of trying to start a Honda generator which hadn't been used for two years- then read the Honda instructions properly and that's what you are supposed to do!

Dodgy fuel starts the bonfire, but it is a risky business and the camping stove sounds a better idea.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 08:17:14 am »
Dodgy fuel starts the bonfire, but it is a risky business

Up in Cumbria, it was quite common to start fires - indoor and out - with diesel. On one occasion a neighbour was having an outdoor party and sent a friend off to get some diesel to start the fire.  His friend brought back the tin of petrol instead.  The neighbour did realise, but decided it would be okay if he was careful.

Ambulance, paramedics, hospital and significant burns ensued.  And he says he was lucky it wasn’t worse.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2017, 10:53:19 pm »
The mind boggles Me!  I'm sure there's other cleaning agents for litter trays  :D
I recall once being confused by the appearance of a work colleague on our first meeting that week - he looked rather ruddy in the face and rather more youthful than his years.  It really didn't dawn on me until after our discussions that he hardly had a single hair on his head - he was very lucky to get away with just a rosy complexion and free haircut (inc eye-brows etc) from, I found out later, tossing petrol onto his bonfire.  I won't be trying that. 
Never heard of petrol-fueled stoves:  I doubt they would take kindly to any 2-stoke fuel mix, but I might look into that. 

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2017, 11:43:15 pm »
I doubt they would take kindly to any 2-stoke fuel mix

Well, I guess it might get a bit smoky, but I'm sure it will burn ok.  I have an MSR Dragonfly stove that I've run on both petrol and diesel before. TBH, I think it will burn just about anything  :) .

"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 09:30:43 am »
There must be a legal way to dispose of it as garages must have to do this when they drain fuel tanks. Why not ask your local one.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 11:55:51 am »
I dread to think what he did to the cat!  :o

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2017, 02:53:04 pm »
There must be a legal way to dispose of it as garages must have to do this when they drain fuel tanks. Why not ask your local one.

Yes indeed: there are local companies who deal with duff fuel for "recycling", but only in bulk.  I could try a local garage I suppose (a few quid might achieve a deal), but I'm liking the idea of Womble's Dragonfly stove!  Am wondering whether a cuppa-soup will taste quite the same, but I can think of other uses. 

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2017, 03:16:36 pm »
Just been searching for multi-fuel stoves:  I find I might already have a multi-fuel capable Primus stove (web advertised item looks identical to one I already use for camping, which I assumed only worked with butane).  Might only need a multi-fuel tank and, I imagine, appropriate fuel supply tube to go with it - that would be good  :)   However, complete kit options at around £50 (from searches so far) not going to break the bank.  Thinking will be the solution for me.  Thanks all for your inputs, especially to Womble for the hot tip!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 03:49:14 pm by arobwk »

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2017, 08:57:06 pm »
I dread to think what he did to the cat!  :o
He turned the cat into a dog by sitting the cat in the petrol soaked liter & throwing a lit match in the same direction It went , " WOOOOF "
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2017, 09:12:28 pm »
Lbarron's thread about disposing of propachlor herbicide prompts me to ask how other folk dispose of contaminated fuel.  I was pleased to find that my local civic amenity centre does take old engine coolant, but disappointed to find they won't take stale/contaminated petrol.  "Try the Police" I was advised!!   Can't think why the Police would be taking in old petrol so I haven't actually made that call!
I'm talking about the odd bit arising from garden machinery maintenance/repairs if I don't feel happy to pour any drained fuel back in. Thankfully I don't have much so I'm just storing it for now.

Try asking the local fire brigrage if they want it for trainig .

Or  pour the petrol in with the waste engine oil & recycle it  as all the oil will be heated in special tanks to evaporate & collect any volatile fluids out of the waste oil before it is boiled up & put through centrifugal cleaners to clean it for recycling with new additives for a lower grade cheaper  oil .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2017, 06:12:11 pm »
Food for thought, thanks, cloddopper! 
Especially so because I now know that multi-fuel "camping" stoves are not all equal.  Was starting to wonder whether I should get one that does not require a fuel-jet change-over for different fuels.  There are a few designs that can burn any liquid fuel without swapping jets:  a "one-jet" design should surely overcome any quandary over the jet to use for 2-stroke fuel.  As might be expected though, there is a price differential!
No panic yet - my 5 ltr waste-fuel container is far from brimming.   
I shall think about your comments/investigate:  while I know that used-oil recyclers are not happy if coolant has been mixed into the oil (it happens frequently apparently), I had not considered that old-oil re-cycling processes can tolerate a bit of fuel in the mix!

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2017, 11:05:51 pm »
Or just pour older petrol into your (petrol) car tank... a litre at a tme mixed in with a 40-50L full tank will work just fine.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS