Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Do hens know what greenery they can eat?  (Read 2183 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Do hens know what greenery they can eat?
« on: July 20, 2010, 10:27:09 pm »
I found holes in the leaves of my rhubarb and I had no idea what was doing it until this morning when my friends and I took a stroll round the front garden before lunch. I had introduced tehm to my ducks and hens an let them out to free range.  As we turned back there were the hens tucking into teh rhubarb leaves.  I thought tehywere poisonous to us - is that the case and are they poisonous to my chickens?  If so they are all going to be dead tomorrow ::)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Sandy

Re: Do hens know what greenery they can eat?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 10:48:13 pm »
Mine ate every green thing in thier bit of garden and they are still here!!!!! I did give them nettles but then found they were an irritant for chickens...interesting ???

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 12:17:31 am »
Mine won't touch nettles and will make a detour around them. I wonder if they get stung like us?

andy harris

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 07:30:10 am »
I did have some rhubarb till my hens got it they distroyed it and they are fine.i give my hens lettuce and gabage they love it.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 05:49:11 pm »
I've confined them to their run today just in case and will move the rhubarb to the back in the next day or so.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fergie

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 08:25:38 pm »
I've confined them to their run today just in case and will move the rhubarb to the back in the next day or so.

I was going to reassure you that it's unlikely they would eat enough rhubarb to poison themselves (as in the other thread) but I've just realised that you're probably wanting to move the rhubarb to avoid the chickens from destroying it.  We have segregated the veg area where the rhubarb is with some orange barrier netting to keep the chicks out - because it is loose & floppy they don't like crossing it.  (cheap plastic barrier netting & fixing rods from screwfix).

John

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 12:08:26 am »
I was going to reassure you that it's unlikely they would eat enough rhubarb to poison themselves (as in the other thread) but I've just realised that you're probably wanting to move the rhubarb to avoid the chickens from destroying it. 
John
  No, you're right, John. I was worried about them poisoning them selves because I lost 2 ex batts last week for no apparent reason and you wouldn't believe the size of the holes in the leaves.  I'll move the rhubarb on Friday and won't let them out tomorrow, just in case.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS