Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: when are geese ready to eat?  (Read 2381 times)

trefnantbach

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
when are geese ready to eat?
« on: July 23, 2010, 01:02:03 pm »
I've successfully hatched 7 embden goslings for the first time this year. The oldest three are now 10 weeks old and hardly distinguishable from their mothers, I turn them out to graze every morning. Three questions:-
Do I still need to be giving them growers pellets if they are grazing?
When will they be ready for the table?
Will they be past their best If I keep them till xmas?

Cheers

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
Re: when are geese ready to eat?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 02:24:01 pm »
I done this last year and the embden were perfect by xmas, they will graze on the grass no problem but mine always pinched a bit food from the chicken trough I had and I think added to there size and flavour. I was told to take them on to hard ground and feed finishers before the final day but I just left them on grass and the taste was amazing.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: when are geese ready to eat?
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 04:35:29 pm »
Mine are free range totally, dont get locked up or fed at all unless the ground is frozen. We dont have foxes though. We kill as the grass dies as then the meat is sweet off the grass and does not go to fat with false feeding. Best goose with just enough fat and lean meat.Ours are usually hatched by May. You can feed when locking up but they are like ducks , just eat pellets for the sake of it giving you the impression they are starving!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS