Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pig and Poultry sale Lanark 5th August  (Read 11859 times)

Simon O

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Bonkle
Re: Pig and Poultry sale Lanark 5th August
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2010, 09:38:15 am »
Thanks for quick answer! (Sneaking looks at the website at work  ;) ) - might see you there if I can get away from work for a while after lunch.

valr

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Brightons nr Falkirk
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2010, 11:07:14 am »
Thanks guys.
Yes Anne I might pop round.
Wish I had some piggies to destress me! The chickens and cats will just have to do meantime  :)

Simon O

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Bonkle
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2010, 07:07:30 pm »
Well I managed to get there at 2 and saw the last half hour of the poultry sale in the hall. Interesting to see - not as many people as I thought but a lot may have left by then. At least I know where it is now and a little of how it works; and it was interesting to see the pigs, rabbits, ducks, chickens and other fowl. Helpfully some folk had put on the outside of the cages what type of chicken etc were inside. Good fun watching the purchasers trying to get their wares into their boxes but unfortunately I did not see any escapes. I saw a few redhaired kids but none in a blue buggy so I think HH may have left - did you get any pigs or poultry? -  or did anyone else manage to pick anything up. It looks as if you need to watch for someone who knows what they are doing and maybe bid for the same thing. I would not like to find myself bidding against someone else who knew nothing too, and end up hiking the price to ridiculous levels. I thought I saw some of the staff there having a laugh at the price that one item got!? I think it will need a few trips to pick up what is going on, before actually buying anything. Some of the chickens looked great though so it is lucky I had no way to transport them and nowhere to put them once I got home or I may have come back with a surprise for Cheryl!  :) Good fun

HappyHippy

« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2010, 09:00:52 pm »
I went, I saw, I bought  ;D ;D ;D
Got 5 white sussex (think maybe 2 or possibly 3 cockerals though) for £10 and bought 4 GOS cross gilts - only brought 3 home though  >:( Would you believe that someone took the other one and left a boar in it's place............a totally different looking one at that ! They stole my SPOTTY one  :'( :'( :'( they were £34 each.
Other sales were - 2 saddlebacks with litters (hmmmm maybe 1/2 saddleback, but the colour mix on the piglets was gorgous, some grey saddleback, some black saddleback, some just black) one sold for £160, she looked really thin and had lumpy teats and the other who was in better condition (and a nicer pig ;)) sold for £270. There were 2 saddleback (cross ?) sows, 4 years old, never been to the bore - huge they were, absolutely MASSIVE, and great natured girlies - do you know, no one bid ! They wouldn't even pay £30 for them - thankfully I had my head in charge and not my heart or it would have been a real squash in the trailer  ;)

But more importantly, I didn't blow the budget - ROLL ON AUGUST 19TH AND THE RARE BREEDS SALE  ;D ;D ;D

clumbaboy

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Gretna
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2010, 09:21:01 pm »

Yet again went, saw, bought more than I should have :D :D, some fine looking fowl and some real sad sorry states, black rocks and warrens with hardly any feathers and in one cage one hen was slowly being eaten alive by the others, and did the auctioneer really need such a loud microphone with that much feedback, still managed to keep up with the prices though and grabbed a few bargains. Not allowed to the next one though as I have my full quota of hens now. :chook:

sheardale

• Joined Apr 2009
  • Dollar, Clacks, Scotland
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2010, 09:58:07 pm »
How did u get on today Vair.  Sorry for your troubles.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2010, 10:09:29 pm »

Yet again went, saw, bought more than I should have :D :D, some fine looking fowl and some real sad sorry states, black rocks and warrens with hardly any feathers and in one cage one hen was slowly being eaten alive by the others, and did the auctioneer really need such a loud microphone with that much feedback, still managed to keep up with the prices though and grabbed a few bargains. Not allowed to the next one though as I have my full quota of hens now. :chook:

Interesting when you read point 4 in the application form:

LANARK AGRICULTURAL CENTRE
SALE OF RARE & MINORITY BREEDS
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF SALE
The Sale will be conducted subject to the Conditions of Sale of Lawrie & Symington Ltd as approved by the Institute of Auctioneers and Appraisers in
Scotland which will be on display in the Auctioneer’s office on the day of sale. In addition the following conditions apply.
1. No animal may be sold privately prior to the sale but must be offered for sale through the ring.
2. Animals which fail to reach the price fixed by the Vendor may be sold by private treaty after the Auction. All such sales must be passed
through the Auctioneers and will be subject to full commission. Reserve Prices should be given in writing to the auctioneer prior to the
commencement of the sale and not on the entry form.
3. All stock must be numbered and penned in accordance with the catalogued number on arrival at the market.
4. Physical defects in any poultry and waterfowl must be declared on the entry form or to the auctioneer at time of sale.

Cavendish

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2010, 03:54:07 pm »
My Mrs family live in Lanark, but were not visiting this weekend! what a shame, I would have loved to have gone along just to see.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS