Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The abattoir looms!  (Read 2243 times)

waterboy

• Joined May 2010
The abattoir looms!
« on: July 15, 2010, 09:54:11 pm »
Boris and Mable our middle white boar and guilt will be going to the abattoir next week, we were recommended a place locally and decided to pay it a visit. They were really helpful and it seems a relatively laid back place but i was a bit unsure when they asked how i wanted the pigs butchered.  I'm hoping to make some sausages have some chops and joints but I'm not interested in making bacon, I'm not sure what to ask for without sounding like a simpleton!

Can anyone explain how the butchers work and what are the options

Thanks
Rob & Manda :)

Re: The abattoir looms!
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 10:07:48 pm »
Hi,

Just ask them for what you want:

Chops + Rib Chops
Mince for sausages (tell them to make it lean or fatty depending how you want it) plus approx weight you want turning into mince
Roasts (tell them family size so they know how big to make them)
Belly - left whole or cut into strips for BBQ etc.
also decide if you want the offal and bones or if you want them to dispose of them

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 11:33:07 pm »
The first time our pigs went to the abbotior they told us which butchers they delivered to,so phoned both and went with the most helpfull who have now become our regular butchers for whatever we send,i explained it was the first time we have had pigs and they asked what i wanted but i also asked what do you think they were very helpfull and gave me lots of choices which was great,what i learnt was dont be afraid to ask for ther opinon after all they do it everyday and with my butcher they were more than happy to help and didnt make me feel silly.

Nickie

• Joined May 2009
  • Gwynedd
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 08:32:18 pm »
Hi

I sent our first 2 pigs off a couple of weeks ago, so I know exactly how you feel. I wanted something similar i.e. roasting joints, chops, sausages, some belly pork & some hams to brine.

This is what I asked for:

Pig 1

Belly - thick end joint, rest cut into strips
Loin - long roasting joint from head end, rest cut into chops
Shoulder - large joints
Legs - joints for ham (gammon, slipper & corner)
Head, Trotters, Tail & Bones for the dog
Rest - sausages (course mince)

Pig 2

Belly - sausages
Loin - chops
Shoulder - sausages
Hind legs - joints for ham (gammon, slipper & corner)
Head, Trotters, Tail & Bones for the dog
Rest - sausages

I was very happy with what we got back. This has given me a variety of different sized joints (as I didn't use all the leg joints for ham so I will roast these), plenty of chops & loads of sausages (60 lbs in total).

I may well in the future have a go at doing my own bacon, salami & dry cured hams, but I didn't need the hassle first time around & I'm glad that I made this decision as it has been way too hot to have that much meat hanging around & I didn't have enough fridge space available, so most of it went straight into the chest freezer!

I have been getting my pork from a local rare breed supplier, by the half pig, for a while now & have always been pleased with the product. However, nothing tastes like your own pork - very satisfying.

I hope this helps a little & good luck.

waterboy

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 09:04:00 pm »
Thanks very much, its great being able to pick the brains of people that have Been there and got the tee shirt!   :pig:

waterboy

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 01:56:37 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D  just wanted to report in....
We took Boris and Mable on Mon a.m and can report that everything went soooo smoothly it was like a dream. I'm so glad we had practiced getting them into the trailer 30 mins Sat & only 10 mins needed Sun altho I have to say I needed more practice than that with the trailer lol
Come Mon a.m we had loaded travelled and unloaded in 40mins I was so proud of them and us in & out, so no stress for them which mean't no stress for us thankfully.
We'd sourced a local and friendly abbatoir who were so helpful this too really made things much easier so all in all the little extra time we took getting ready really made all the difference.
Thx also to everyone on here who answered all our questions  :love:
Now the best bit tmw we go to collect our lovely pork I hope it'll taste as good as everyone says it will...
So thx to everyone and especially Boris and Mable  :pig:  :pig:
xx

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 05:50:45 pm »
Would love to hear your comments after you have eaten your first sausages or bacon .... bet you will never ever even look at supermarket pork again 

waterboy

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 02:13:50 pm »
Hilarysmum    you are sooooo right the meat was unbelieveably good and even better was the fat. We've had a go at making our own sausages which was a laff not tried them yet tho.
But so right we will never buy pork from a supermarket again  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS