Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dixie: how did you train your pig to wait for his dinner?  (Read 2810 times)

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
Dixie: how did you train your pig to wait for his dinner?
« on: July 13, 2010, 10:44:30 pm »
Hi Dixie,

Just wondering how you managed to train your pig to sit and wait nicely when food arrives? And how long did it take? It's be a great improvement if our 5 boisterous boys would have some manners!  :D

Thanks a lot,

Eve  :wave:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Dixie: how did you train your pig to wait for his dinner?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 11:17:17 pm »
They are as clever as dogs, if not smarter.  I don't, never have, never would keep any, but I'd guess you train them the same way.  Hold a treat in front of their nose till they almost bite, lift it up a little bit above their heads, the bums should go on the floor, give the 'sit' command, and give them the treat.  Do it a lot of times and they should get the message.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 09:42:03 am »
Well it was simple with our boar, probably more tricky with a few!! but this is how;
We feed on a pallet, so go in with bucket of feed, pig starts pushing, I firmly say 'No' and point at the pallet and say 'wait'. Then go out with the bucket. Keep repeating until pig goes to the pallet and say 'good boy' good pig' or whatever. Keep repeating every feed time in about 3 days he was waiting patiently by his pallet! Keep the commands simple and firm and differentiate between firm No and cheery Good pig! If they push or barge, have sa short stick in hand and tap them on the nose, saying 'No', they learn so quickly, and I need my boar to respect me! good luck!

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 04:31:08 pm »
Thanks, Dixie, that's really useful advice. Clearly I did it all wrong, silly me (they pretty much knock me over), but now I know better for the next lot!

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 10:06:26 pm »

I have 3 boars who are now about 9weeks old and very pushy they also try to bite my boots and I am afraid there is no chance of me outrunning them and beating them to the trough so am going to try and teach them to wait by it for their food.
Anne

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 11:18:04 pm »
With the biting-the-boots thing, whenever our weaners nibble our toes, our toes give them a tap on the nose! Doesn't need to be hard, of course, just unpleasant, they'll understand it the third time round (you can practically see them think and wonder if it's worth another try!), and every now and then they'll forget and you'll need to repeat it - just like kids, really!  ;)

Ours bite our legs and knees as well, and we did the same with that - they just got a tap from our hand or a push, and again after a few times they know and every now and then they need a reminder. They still do it on occasion when we arrive with food, but they never bite hard. It's probably just a piggy thing that comes natural to them. I don't know whether the biting is to encourage us or greet us, I'm sure some of the experienced people on this forum will be able to tell us something about the reason why pigs do all this, it'd be interesting to know more about their little minds!

One of ours went for a swim today - but he had stepped into the little drink trough rather than the big one, so of course he didnt' fit and his chubby little bottom hang out of one end! Then he sort of glided back out, the funniest pictures I've got of him so far!  ;D

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 12:32:13 pm »
This site is great!  I am so glad I have read this thread.  I will learn by my mistakes and NEXT TIME those pigs will know who is master!   ::)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 05:27:49 pm »
NEXT TIME those pigs will know who is master!   ::)

;D  Don't bet on it  ;D

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2010, 10:03:57 am »

Have managed to persuade my boys that biting my boots is not a good idea but one has now decided that going through between my legs is a good idea, not a huge problem at the moment but the time will come when all 5'1 of me is going to be tipped over, I have tried moving their trough to the edge of the pen but they just move it away again.

This lot are definately more boistrous than the girls were.  :pig:
Anne

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2010, 12:32:20 pm »
Daisysmum we tie our water containers to the fence (not always successfully) which helps to stop them wandering off with them.

OUr very tall vet once ended up riding Hilary through the barn.  She stopped at the wall, he didn't.  Most embarrassing!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS