Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheds as chicken houses.  (Read 8154 times)

SLI

• Joined Apr 2010
Re: Sheds as chicken houses.
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2010, 09:39:17 pm »
Hi All,
Can I please be really dim and ask: Do my chooks need a pophole? I have a small shed for my girls - I prop the door open during the day, and just shut & lock at night. The shed is inside a run made from chicken wire and the run is about 12 feet by about 6 feet.
I lay an opened out feed sack on the floor & cover it with wood shavings and the nest box has a layer of wood shavings and then a bit of straw. I clean out once a week (remove the sack on the floor & sweep out everything & get rid) & sprinkle louse & red mite powder into the shavings.
I also rake the ground in the run to remove excess "stuff".... Does this sound adequate? I AM a complete novice  ???

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2010, 10:21:12 pm »
I'm sorely tempted to go across to sheds, as B&Q are selling their cheapo 6x4' overlap sheds for £109.

Just need to fabricate a pophole into the door & replace the perspex window... job done.
I left the perspex window in, actually blackened it with paint in an attempt to keep Jamie quiet in teh mornings.  It didn't work that well as the light got in through the cracks.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2010, 10:24:28 pm »
Hi All,
Can I please be really dim and ask: Do my chooks need a pophole? I have a small shed for my girls - I prop the door open during the day, and just shut & lock at night. The shed is inside a run made from chicken wire and the run is about 12 feet by about 6 feet.
I lay an opened out feed sack on the floor & cover it with wood shavings and the nest box has a layer of wood shavings and then a bit of straw. I clean out once a week (remove the sack on the floor & sweep out everything & get rid) & sprinkle louse & red mite powder into the shavings.
I also rake the ground in the run to remove excess "stuff".... Does this sound adequate? I AM a complete novice  ???
No, sounds good to me. ;D  The only reason for the pophole in my case is we get a lot of rain and wind, and it keeps the shed pretty well dry if they go in and out to lay rather than leave the door open.  Mine are in a run too, but it gets pretty messy if they stay in there all day so they get out onto the grass fro a few hours if teh weather is OK fro tehm.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2010, 12:04:26 am »
Our ex battery hens just have the door open in the day then shut up at night it was all a bit of a rush as had 1 days notice we were getting them,got a 6x4 shed from b and q for £89 then as my dad is over 60 got an extra 10% off,see now though they have gone up in price,anyway hens loved it lots of space we put breeze blocks in for them to perch on but they would all sleep on the floor,only mod we made was to remove the perspece window as in the morning it was very hot in there,we replaced it with some chicken wire over the window space and if rain was forcasted a piece of plastic to put over it.In furture would always buy a shed.

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2010, 09:42:56 am »
Piggy, not wishing to poke my nose in. Can you remember at school the class rooms had fan lights and if you were monitor you had a long pole with a curly T on the end which you put through the ring on the window catch and pulled the window.The hinges were on the bottom so the sash opened back at about 22 degrees If you made your bit of plastic like that but 2 bits of cord pull one it opens pull the other and it closes Plus it would not rain in if it was open and you were not there to put the plastic back in as now.Blood hell he's thinking again Proper pop holes are best very little rain can get in as it can if its raining the right way and you can go mad and have a slab and a solenoid with a timer that opens and lets them out while you are still clocking up zzzzzzzzzz.It is better to go and shut them up at night and reset the slide you know they are all safely tuked up and one hasn't stayed out for a Mr Fox supper. There you go a better than an Ascott at a sixth of the price After all its the addons that make it a Hen Hut and not a shed ;D :farmer: :wave:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2010, 01:59:39 pm »
All good ideas Goerge - keep 'em coming!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS