Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheds as chicken houses.  (Read 8173 times)

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
Sheds as chicken houses.
« on: July 15, 2010, 09:22:04 am »
Having had my Buff Orpie chicks in the shed, I'm seriously considering replacing my other chicken houses with sheds when they need to be replaced.
it has been a joy to clean out, so easy! No back breaking bending and twisting!

I understand you can get pop hole kits for them. I was just wondering about the inside. At the moment I just have a perch wedged between the panels on the corner.

Does anyone have pics they could put up of the insides of their sheds if you have them? I know uploading on here can be problematic (well I have trouble!), so maybe the facebook page, or email me at sharon@deepdean.co.uk

Thanks all!

Sandy

Re: Sheds as chicken houses.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 09:54:34 am »
I bought a brilliant second hand shed for £100 delivered and my chickens have vacated thier proper hen house that cost me £150.00.....I will take some photos one day but at the moment too busy (just having a coffee break) I have a perch across the back and several draws on the floor all filled with straw although i have a couple of bales of straw stored in there and now they have been pulling out more and more so the floor looks comfy but a mess!! I wish I had the shed in the first place never mind!! Oh, I put lightweight plastic sheets on the floor so that they can be pulled out to clean when necessay, also keeps the shed floor dry!!!

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 11:01:51 am »
Hello sandy since I don't know how old you are so .Can you remember that wonderful thing called the orange box? They were good for all sorts of jobs but exactly right for the hens nest boxes. :D
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 12:04:44 pm »
Hello sandy since I don't know how old you are so .Can you remember that wonderful thing called the orange box? They were good for all sorts of jobs but exactly right for the hens nest boxes. :D
She's a wee bit younger than me, George, but I can remember orange boxes - loads of uses for them!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 12:05:40 pm »
Annie - do iremember reading that you use a shed for your chickens? :chook:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 12:14:45 pm »
Yes, Focus diy 6 x 4 - a shelf along one side about 2 feet off the ground (windowsill from PVC conservatory so easy clean too).  Vinyl on the floor, then loads of straw.  Two plastic washing up basins filled with straw on the floor at the back for nesting although they often lay just on the straw. Again easy clean.  Just empty and replace the old straw once a week, hose down the vinyl, sprinkle diatom earth, replace vinyl when dry, add straw, job done.  Only have 4 hens left but getting another 6 ex batts at the end of the month.  Plenty of room for more.  I had round wooden poles wedged in the corners for perches but after reading that red mites can sit at ends then attack at night I took them out, don't think they sit on the plastic bench.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 01:53:38 pm »
avoid using straw for chickens as the hollow stems provide a perfect hiding place for mites

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 02:00:26 pm »
Always have used straw. So far I've been lucky I guess.

Sandy

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 02:06:30 pm »
Did not know that about straw, I use straw too but they seem OK...I do remember orange box's and I am sure that one of the supremarkets at least had oranges for sale in them last year!!!! I am sure us lot can put anything to some good use!!!! Sometimes I get coffee in tins and yet to find a use for them although now my OH went to a wholesale shop to buy spices I might think about using them for that but that coffee smell is far too strong, nice though!! Ummmmmmmmmmm

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 02:37:52 pm »
I use straw too, but its never in the hen house long enough to get an infestation.  Clean straw is good straw.

We have our henhouse built from an old caravan chassis with two broom handles for perches and four boxes for laying - three of the boxes seem to be perfect but one of them no-one goes in for some strange reason?

I think the more random your setup is the better different hens seems to like different spaces.

Ta

Baz

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 03:03:42 pm »
I have been following this with some interest.In proper poultry Houses of yesteryear the sort I told you us boys creosoted and was towed out into the corn fields after the corn was cut for the hens to glean the grains.Never was straw spread on the floor it leads to coccidiosis and such like.Don't forget to put 3 drops out of the red bottle in the drinking water and shak it up to mix it well. The pooh was shoveled up on Saturday mornings and spread outside and a dusting of slacked lime spread on the floor The nest boxes had a little straw in them  not to much It encourages live stock to live in boy ??? :D :farmer:
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 03:06:40 pm by Wizard »
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2010, 06:17:33 pm »
I don't use straw either. Thanks for all the replies so far - think this is definitelt the cheaper option!
Anyone got any pics?

Daveravey

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Fife
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2010, 06:29:29 pm »
I'm sorely tempted to go across to sheds, as B&Q are selling their cheapo 6x4' overlap sheds for £109.

Just need to fabricate a pophole into the door & replace the perspex window... job done.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2010, 06:59:12 pm »
sheds are great for hen houses.
We made a sliding - door pop hole, just by jig-sawing out a rectangle and making a frame for it,and fitting a handle. hubby keeps promising to fit an outside pulley so we can close it from outside, but actually its no bad thing goimg in to shut them in for the night - they get tamer and are dopey enough to check for any problems

we tiled the floor, and as its a Playhouse, have an "upstairs" ie a shelf to store things.

we chicken-wired the windows, and made the perspex removeable so its out in the warm weather, and keeps it warm in the winter.

....not many hens have pretty window boxes and shutters either!
Little Blue

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2010, 07:32:59 pm »

the pop hole from inside - the door slides behind the tick bits of wood.  A bit like a guillotine!!
Little Blue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS