Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New to chickens  (Read 2040 times)

storm35

• Joined May 2010
New to chickens
« on: July 15, 2010, 03:56:54 pm »
In a couple of weeks i shall be the proud owner of 4 chickens, we have a coup made up and a run, as they cant run free range, as next doors dogs would get them.
Where will i get a feeder for them, doesthis cover feed and water, i can ask the owner when i see her, but i thought i could aks on here and any other tips and advice as  am new to this.
Thank you
Chris xx

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
Re: New to chickens
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 05:25:45 pm »
Got some feeders here, http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Wells-Poultry-Ltd

They also do a pack of a feeder & Water together, if their chicks go for a 1.5Ltr Larger go for 3Ltr.

your local agri merchants will also be able to help. How old are they? chicks, layers.

When you put the waterer or feeder, in raise them of the floor slightly on a piece of wood or something less poop in the feed and less bedding getting in to it also.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 05:33:01 pm by Cobra »

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 06:19:17 pm »
I sell feeders and drinkers on my website - see below. Currently have a 10% discount code - TAS01 (Apologies for blatant advertising!)
Also run courses for beginners and families if you're not too far away!
 :chook: :chook:

storm35

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 10:05:06 pm »
Thats great, thank you, off to look now. We are getting chicks, they are not tiny, but just about the age where she can tell the sex, i have no idea what kind they are either, not yet anyways.

andy harris

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 10:19:55 pm »
I dont bother with feeders i use i windowsill plant pot like a trough so my hens have to put there necks in and therefore no waste on the floor like i use to get with the feeder.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 10:21:48 pm »
That's a great idea, thanks, Andy!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

storm35

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 10:28:10 pm »
Great idea  thanks Andy, brilliant x

andy harris

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 07:13:07 am »
Your welcome both anytime

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS