Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What did you do today?  (Read 12617 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: What did you do today?
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2010, 12:21:01 pm »
Here you go, George - al Npower numbers here - http://saynoto0870.com/companysearch.php

Happy Birthday, Rosemary!  Not got your caravan yet then?  See you next Wednesday.  Is Carol managing to handle the website?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Hardfeather

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2010, 12:57:31 pm »
Happy birthday to you
Happy birthday to you
Happy birthday dear Rosemaryyyyy
Happy birthday to you

I had a bit of a day last Saturday...

A friend of mine from Fife had sold a miniature gypsy wagon to a couple in Staffordshire and had agreed to deliver it on Saturday.

By coincidence, I had seen a litter of lurchers advertised at a place called Bromyard, just on the border of Herefordshire, so I decided to accompany my friend on her trip and look at the dogs whilst there.

I rose at 03.45 and got organised, then drove my wee horse lorry to Fife. Friend was ready to go, so we set off at 05.30 in her car, towing a horsebox with the wagon in it. She drove to South Queensferry, where we stopped to fill with fuel. On the way there I'd realised that she is one of those people who can't talk and keep a consistent pressure on the accelerator  ;D, so I drove from there, promising to ask her to drive if I felt tired.

I must admit at this point that, for reasons unexplainable, I have previously had some difficulty driving into England. I have been down in the past, but always with work (I was a security guard for a company which handled government contracts, and had to accompany 'sensitive' cargo), but one the one occasion when I was invited to visit a Fell pony stud in Cumbria, I took fright about twenty miles over the border and turned tail for home  ::) ???. Stupid, I know, but true.

However, this time, probably owing to having no real worries about having my family with me, and driving someone else's yoke, I felt up for the trip. We had an uneventful journey down the M6, at sixty miles per hour, and my friend's AA routefinder was spot on. The downside was having to pay eight quid to the M6 toll1 ???

We found the place easily after about seven and a half hours of motorway, during which my friend talked incessantly ;D ::), and delivered the wagon safely. The recipients live in a beautiful rural village with lots of thatched houses and barns. The weather was lovely, although I did notice that they were kinda desperate for rain. Despite our lengthy journey, we weren't even offered use of a toilet, or a cup of tea, however, so we quickly set off on a further fifty miles to see the pups.

By total contrast, the people we met there were very hospitable. They are a family of four who live in two gypsy wagons on a well-kept farm in beautiful country. I suppose they could be called new-age travellers if a name was required for them. Immediately we arrived we were offered a cup of tea at the camp fire. ;D 8)

They keep five heavy cobs, ferrets, gamefowl, and lurchers. The chap works in the woods, hauling timber with his horses, and they find all sorts of seasonal work as well. The day before we arrived, they had just finished hauling 1500 square bales of new-made hay off the fields and into a shed...with horses and carts. By all accounts it had been a great social affair with hearty feed and much sipping of cider.

I was greatly impressed with the simplicity of the lives of this family. The children were spirited, polite, and happy, without tv and electronic trappings, and took much to do with us visitors. The young lad, eight years old was very confident around the tethered horses and spent time freeing them of clegs and spraying a home-made fly repellent on their vulnerable parts.

I was able to spend a bit of time (but not nearly enough) discussing horses, harness, trees, dogs, gamefowl, and horsemanship...all subjects close to my heart...in the company of nice people and the open air. The pups were not what I was looking for, but I was so glad that we met the people.

Much bolstered by this encounter, we set off for home and finally arrived there at 04.45 the next morning! I drove all the way  ::), although I confess I had one of those red bull shots at a service stop near the lakes. These things are incredibly effective...I was still pinging when we got back to Fife ;D

I crashed for two hours at my friend's house, then drove my wee lorry home, had a bath, and then went to Brechin with my wife and two sons to have a trip on Thomas the tank engine on the Caledonian railway ;D ;D That evening (Sunday), I fell into bed at 7pm and slept for twelve hours.

I really enjoyed the trip, though. Hello England  :wave:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2010, 01:59:18 pm »
WHAT a marathon, but also what a great experience for you Angus. ;D  I don't like driving down to Englandshire eether ;) And I can't stand red bull so I don't do it unless someone else is driving who I can trust.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Sandy

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2010, 02:11:33 pm »
Hey I come from England and my family are there but I hate the drive back seem like entering another world ;) far too much traffic for me, I forgot the ques on my way to work making a 10 journey into nearly an hour!!!!! I love that simple life too (no choice money wise!) I always noticed that the richer the folks the tighter....simple people would happily give you the coat off thier back and a hot meal!!! anyway, I am a bit simple ;)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2010, 02:19:41 pm »
Hey I come from England and my family are there but I hate the drive back seem like entering another world ;) far too much traffic for me, I forgot the ques on my way to work making a 10 journey into nearly an hour!!!!! I love that simple life too (no choice money wise!) I always noticed that the richer the folks the tighter....simple people would happily give you the coat off thier back and a hot meal!!! anyway, I am a bit simple ;)
No offence intended - it's the traffic I meant too.  And you're anything but simple, Sandy ::) ;D ;D ;D

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2010, 04:25:16 pm »
And I can't stand red bull

I've never had red bull but the Lucozade ones work well too. Wouldn't want to drink it regularly but it does give you a boost.

Thank you for the song, Aengus

Yes, we've got the caravan but until the fencing's done and the ponies can go up, I can't go up fulltime. Hopefully in the next 10 days or so. Photos of the caravan on the main site in Diary.

WinslowPorker

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2010, 04:42:23 pm »
spent the day on the sofa with food poisoning, tomorrow not looking too clever either!!

at least its not Campylo-Bacta (think thats how it is spelt) had that last year and i do not reccommend it!!

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2010, 05:01:19 pm »
Aeungusog, I am agog at you having to pay at the M6 toll.  We do a detour on the old bit of road, without going over the new one, and do not pay.  Goodness, we drive down there regularly, and my OH would never pay at the toll!!  You were rather pushed for time it seems, otherwise you could have called on us, as we are on the Staffs border.  Sounds like a lovely visit to the new age people, I would have enjoyed that part of the trip too!!

What have I done today?  Day off work, so fed all the livestock a bit slower than usual.  Checked all my veg were ok after the massive thunderstorm.  Complained to the council over my council tax demand, seeing as I had rung last week to say I would pay when my burnt cards were replaced, and the message was verified as received.  When I rang this morning, they admitted they had got my message, but still sent the demand for the whole of the remainder of the year.No sorry, but they have scrubbed the demand (so they say!)  Rang Tv licencing to say the empty house is definitely empty, no telly, so why keep harassing me to have a licence?  They do not comprehend that everyone does not have a telly anyway!!  Paid a number of other bills by phone.  Had my lunch, walked the dogs.

Farmer came this afternoon to try and help me eartage the pygmy intact billy.  He is so strong, and built like a tank.  The problem is the previous owner has messed with him.  She gave me a demo of grabbing his horns and swinging him round, which horrified me. Its so dangerous!!  So when the farmer got hold of his horns to hold him for his ear to be tagged, he assumed it was the game he played with the old owner, and next thing he had bruised the mans hand.  He is used to dealing with bulls and big cows, but was shocked at the force such a little goat could use.  Like he said, he is not nasty, but those big horns are dangerous.  We then put a rope round his neck, looped it round a post and I held him, but as soon as the tagger was near him, he started leaping around.  Had to stop, and wait for OH to come and give us extra man power........we were both agog at being beaten by something as tall as a sheepdog!!

Just off to the supermarket for weekly shop,and then time for evening feeds.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2010, 05:35:45 pm »

It was raining this morning..... so the company accounts are now finished!   ;D
(if this doesn't sound like much of a thing to report, I have been doing ANYTHING to avoid completing these ever since the end of January, so it's going to feel pretty good to get them posted off to the accountants tomorrow for verification).
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Daveravey

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Fife
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2010, 05:57:17 pm »
Couldn't do anything outside this morning due to the persistant heavy rain, so mucked in with Rachel & did some housework.

The rain went off for an hour this afternoon, so managed to finish the rest of the frame bracing for the new run .... roll on the summer   ::)

Hardfeather

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2010, 08:08:50 pm »
Aeungusog, I am agog at you having to pay at the M6 toll.  We do a detour on the old bit of road, without going over the new one, and do not pay.  Goodness, we drive down there regularly, and my OH would never pay at the toll!! 

I'll not do it again :o. I was relying on my navigator too much and didn't check the route myself, or I would have been looking for a way around. ;D

Hardfeather

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2010, 08:12:20 pm »
Oh no, Rosemary...the fencing!! I forgot all about that  :-[. Sorry.  :-[

Did you get someone?

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2010, 10:31:32 pm »
Not quite as expensive but the Toll on the Humber Bridge is a bind if one has to go to Castle Hill 3 times a week
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2010, 11:03:28 pm »

It was raining this morning..... so the company accounts are now finished!   ;D
(if this doesn't sound like much of a thing to report, I have been doing ANYTHING to avoid completing these ever since the end of January, so it's going to feel pretty good to get them posted off to the accountants tomorrow for verification).
I know the feeling. All my accountancy working life I used prevarication and displacement techniques.  Never wanted to be an accountant anyway. ::)  Wanted to go into the Army Pay Corps at 17 but my Dad wouldn't let me. "No daughter of mine is going in the Army" said Sergeant Major Maclennan! ;D ;D ;D ::)

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2010, 12:45:41 am »
Yesterday I collected our chicks and ducklings from Sicknote. Top man very helpful and a simply magnificent Orp Cockerel  :chook: :o Absolute stunner.

Today it was the agri merchant to get supplies to make them at home, their all looking good and very happy. Sorted out a temporary cosy brooder type home for them  ;D Ordered their new plush accommodation and it arrives tomorrow, so I guess, as soon as the rain stops it will be the manual and self assembly time  :-\ If it ends up looking like a cow shed with no roof  ??? I know Ive gone wrong someware  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS