Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What did you do today?  (Read 12562 times)

valr

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Brightons nr Falkirk
What did you do today?
« on: July 14, 2010, 06:04:58 pm »
I was "working from home"  ;)  and in-between times, made a batch of pickled eggs, a batch of pickled beetroot, smarties fairy cakes, beef olives with veg and potatoes from the garden, and put on 5 gallons of cider to ferment!  My halo is shining...  ;D :farmer: :wave:
Too wet to do anything outside apart from a quick dash to collect eggs!
What did other folks get up to?
Val

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: What did you do today?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 07:28:41 pm »
can I tell you about yesterday instead?
Up at 6am... checked the very pregnant Geraldine - still no baby goat.
cats fed, dog out.  got myself ready for work.
7:25, went to let chickens out before lift to work at half past.
"those pigs are loud today" I thought, looked up to see Mildred on the top path looking down at me, grunting her greetings!
so shouted them round, collecting bucket of food on the way. Girlie pigs followed me no problem to their pen (phoned husband on the way, he's still asleep. answers phone eventually!)
Murphy, the dopey boar isnt home.... he was obviously trailing behind the girls and has been left behind! he's down behind the chicken shed, crying pitifully and looking all around him for his lady friends.
So another bucket of food, he faults at the first hurdle (a slope to the path) so we go round in a big circuit twice before he eventually goes up the slope.  by this point the girls have seen him and are grunting encouragement... so number three pig is returned!
As I'm struggling with a big rock (I've damaged the nerve in my forearm, under my thumb so cant lift or grip properly)  a sleepy husband turns up to help block the gap the pigs have made.

A quick wash and look for muck on my work clothes & shoes (they'll do!) and off to meet my lift - luckily she was late!

very busy, full-on day at work.  HAve organised a week of activities for the whole place, so incredibly busy. 
found out I have to write a report by Friday.and get all the activity stuff ready for a display on Monday.
YP (young people) all totally bonkers, lots of issues all day.  fire drill in the rain. gardening then organising trip for everybody next week.
Upset a delicate friend and colleague ... dont ask! but I am right, and she has since got our esteemed leaders to revoke the latest ridiculous directive, so as I explained to her, it had to be done.(but sorry mate!)

5pm, home at last!
O/H in a vile mood, wouldnt say why.   think probably its because the pigs ate all the strawberries!
rang the foolish Inland Revenue, yet more nonsense about my late father in law's taxes.

set new eggs, moved young hens.
still no baby goat!   played with kittens.  walked to shop (car still poorly)
finally got to sit down..... dog barking at door.
got up to check - three big pigs down at the front gate!
shouted "Oi, Mildred!" and luckily she came running.  all three followed me straight back to their run, with me calling and cursing them all the way!
So more blockades fitted to their pen - think they get bored in the rain, then root, and find a way out.
Fed everybody (animals) returned to dog.
cooked tea, stacked dishwasher, phoned parents, put clothes in wash.

gave up and went to bed - set alarm to check on goat throughout the night!

today has been a breeze - apart from the fights, head injury (no, not me!) endless phone calls, rain....
:)
Little Blue

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 08:00:42 pm »
Phew, I'm exhausted now ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

JD

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Glasgow
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 08:53:26 pm »
Picked 4 lbs. raspberries from my little plot in the south side of Glasgow and made 8 pots of jam as well as freezing some for Christmas Day trifle.
Great crop this year.
JD

Sandy

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 09:16:20 pm »
Painted and ate  ;)

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 09:37:17 pm »

Got soaked doing the animals this morning then went to look over a 4 acre field that I have been offered for the sheep, it has just had hay taken off it so needs a couple of weeks to recover. Really pleased to get it as my field has not been sheep free for 4 years now so I can rest it for about 8 months. Then went to collect 2 IBC containers which will make life a lot easier when I get them rigged up to troughs in the small paddock and also the hen run.
When I arrived back with them I found that one of my lambs had died, they were all ok this morning at 8 when I checked them, there is no sign of what she died from.
Then I went to my Granddaughters 3rd birthday party and had a lovely time.
Anne

Fergie

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 09:44:48 pm »
Had a day off work, and spent the time looking after grandchildren while my daughter went for an antenatal scan.  All's well & I enjoyed myself.

Pity about the continuous rain.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 10:02:33 pm »
Fed ducks and chickens, did some choir and club book keeping in the morning, fiddled around with phones, changing sim cards, batteries etc, ran the dogs - very quickly because of the rain, had lunch then went over to my friend to have her check Freckles nails that are too long, her Cocker had started whelping so stayed till the last one came out, came back to feed and exercise the beasties again, gave up on the rain, gave them chews to keep them happy for a bit, had tea, worked more on books, just been out in the rain with the dogs again for Bobby and Allez to do some male play fight bonding while us girls sheltered in the conservatory and watched them.  Now on here with a coffee and chillin out.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 10:25:35 pm »
Went to the Great Yorkshire Show.  Had a lovely time.  Did some gardening then the heavens opened and had a huge thunder storm like I've never seen before here and torrential rain.  Hate thunder and lightening as does my springer Meg.  She climbed on my lap and for 20 mins we just sat there chatting.  When rained cleared it was a beautiful evening and went to check on sheep and goats to see if they were nervous.  It was like nothing happened.  Must be just Meg and I who are scaredy cats.

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 07:49:01 am »
Hello vair I arose as usual at 5.30 ish as usual (5.20 - 5.40am) visited the bathroom and then had a ponder switched on the compooter and  sorted the pipe and cannula out and switched it on while the compooter warmed up.Read the new posts and Kath bought in my cereal and a coffee.I never used to have food before 10.30 am but Doctor said I should take medicine with food so I  have a few Rice Crispy's and milk and take my medicines.Answered my mails and send others.Try to contact npower via Email its now 11.0am npower like a lot more of the utility's have a ring and one ends up using their 0845 number but not this boy I don't see why I should pay a 10p connect charge and 6p a minute to listen to their dreadfull choice of music while their opperator does heaven knows what! To explain to them several times THEIR MISTAKE So I have sent a letter recorded delivery and explained I shall deduct the cost of the postage from their bill All this electronic mail is very nice but !!!!.So its now noon.I went to look at the plants and harvested my shallots they have done very well this year I took a picture to show you but I cannot get it on my post George Lunch.So I had my soup and a thick round of the bread I made yesterday.I stirred the walnuts and then I vak-packed some raspberry's Roy gave me until there is enough at the weekend to make some more jelly. I don't make jam the pips get in my teeth :D I prepped Tea and set the oven to cook it for 6.00pm David is calling on his way home. We are making a little lean to shed and he is going to drill a 1" hole for me to pass a 25m/m bolt through the wall and secure a plate to it.That job did not get done it was lovely and sunny here at 6 and at 10 past it was pouring with rain 240 volts in a non waterproof unit do not mix good so we have left it until the week end.We had tea and a natter he went to Sixhills and I played on here It wouldn't obey me so I pushed in the Green button on the extreme lower left and watched the TV :farmer: :wave:
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 07:52:50 am by Wizard »
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 08:16:55 am »
It's my birthday so had tea and toast in bed. Lovely! Pity it's raining because it's St Swithin's Day and if you believe the folklore, it's going to rain for 40 days and 40 nights.

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2010, 09:01:20 am »
Hello Rosemary OHHH you muck hound all the toast crumbs in bed urhhh  ;D Happy birthday belated I know We hope you had a smashing day and Dan took you somewhere nice for dinner. :farmer: :wave:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Sandy

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2010, 09:46:18 am »
Happy Birthday Rosemary!!!  Some times this horrid weather enables you to relax indooors!!! Have you moved yet????

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2010, 12:05:17 pm »
Some times this horrid weather enables you to relax indooors!!! Have you moved yet????

Thanks! It's today, the 15th. We're going for a Carnoustie fish supper tonight! The rain gives me the chance to wash paintowrk for the estate agents visits!! Not moved yet - planning to be at the CSSA meeting next week.

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2010, 12:06:33 pm »
George if its an 0870 number try looking up  " say no to 0870" on google. They give you alternative numbers to ring. We use it all the time.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS