Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Eradibait  (Read 8754 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Eradibait
« on: November 16, 2017, 08:55:42 pm »
We don't seem to have  a rodent problem at the moment, so thsi is for future reference - has anyone tried Eradibait and if so, have you found it to be effective?

With the new regs on "professional rodenticides", I think I need to get certified before I can buy them - this doesn't seem to apply to Eradibait. But if it doesn't work, I'd be better getting myself on a course. Just in case.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Eradibait
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 07:23:01 am »
Hi Rosemary,

Your mileage may vary, but please see the redacted Email conversation below.....

Quote from: Email from Womble
Hi Folks,

I bought 7kg of Eradibait from you last year, and I just wanted to feed back to you that both myself and a friend have found it useless. Whilst it maybe works in trials when the rats have nothing else to eat, I found it impossible to get rodents to touch it. I even mixed it with some crushed up chocolate..... they ate the chocolate and left the eradibait behind! {and didn't come back for it later - yes we did remove all other food sources as much as we possibly could}

I gave the rest of the tub to a friend who has a rat problem, who did manage to get them to eat it when mixed with crushed up dog food, but she saw no reduction in rat numbers that she could tell.

However, when we both switched to the standard green blocks, we got rid of the rats very quickly.

So I just wanted to feed that back to you. If we're using it wrongly, please do tell us what  we should do with it. Otherwise, I'll be honest, £44 is an awful lot of money to pay for a product that doesn't work.

Thanks, Womble.

Quote from: Reply From Seller
Dear Womble

Thank you very much for your email, we always appreciate feedback, whether good or bad.  I am sorry to hear though that you found the Eradibait ineffective.  It is, I admit, a different way of thinking about baits (being 'non-poisonous') so the rats do have to ingest a great deal more of this bait over a period of days for it to begin to 'desiccate' them internally. We have found it works very well for many customers and not at all for others therefore I think often that it is down to how one thinks about it i.e. it’s not quite like a normal rat poison, they key is making them eat enough.

I agree that its effectiveness will undoubtedly have been tested in 'ideal conditions' but, it has been on the market for quite a number of years now, and we continue to find it in demand (especially for poultry keepers) and we do supply a large number of repeat customers. However, there are a number of conditions one should apply to make it work best.

This does indeed include removing all other food sources and, it is fair to say, that adding an attractant would seem to be the answer, I understand that. However, they will inevitably take the additive first (especially if it is something as delicious as chocolate or meat) which will satiate them and consequently they won’t take enough of the bait.  It does have molasses in it as the attractant and this should be enough to make them take it but they do need to have the bait as the only food source in order to ingest enough of it and it should be placed in bait boxes at the optimum places to catch them i.e. their rat runs.

I will of course pass your feedback on to the manufacturer (Ilex), or I am sure they would appreciate any feedback directly from you too, and equally they may actually be able to offer more advice than I can to help you get the little blighters (we live next to a large dairy farm so we have a constant battle to keep on top of it too).

I hope that helps a little and again, we do appreciate the feedback, so please do not hesitate to get back to me if you have any further queries.

Kind Regards.... {etc}
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 08:32:43 am »
Thanks, Womble. I've used Eradibait before and moved to Neosorexo Gold because it didn't seem to be working. But we have cats that catch and eat mice (it's mainly a mouse problem that we have) - and leave them for the pup or the pup steals them and eats them. ::)

And I'm also concerned about wildlife eating poisoned rodents. And the fact that I'm not certified to use professional rodenticides. Maybe I just need to get myself on a course.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 11:19:48 am »
I'm the friend that tried Womble's Eradibait - I still have the tub and left it open in the duck/hen shed in the vain hope the rats will take a fancy to it.  So far they have turned their little snouts up completely!  It's a total waste of money!  I even saw my tame robin jump in and come out with only a piece of shredded paper that had dropped in.  The lid is now back on in case he decides it's better than layers pellets.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 02:32:00 pm »
Oh good timing...only yesterday I was looking at this as a possibility as we have rats back in the chicken run again - we had them last year, I killed a few last year (via traps) but they come up from the town where there is plenty of food.  Traps are just a pain in the bum and I can't put them where I need them otherwise the chickens will get at them ... also i fear for my fingers!

My next plan is an air rifle.  But really that's time spent that I really don't have.  Proper poison is definitely out as we have too many cats (that clearly aren't doing their job!).

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 03:11:04 pm »
That's the problem I have too, Foobar.  My old cat is 17 and the last thing I want is him or my old dogs catching and eating a half dead rat.  It has happened before - I had to get a baby rat out of my young bitch's mouth only a couple of weeks ago (Neighbours put poison down so it was on its way out)

I'm going to try the baking soda and oats trick again I think.  Trouble is it gets damp quickly at this time of year so need changing regularly.  Ah well, bulk buy of bicarb and porridge tomorrow I guess.   :'( :'( :'(
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 03:36:01 pm »
Will bicarb and chicken feed work? (as they love the chicken feed so much!) ... I'm thinking make up a paste and mould into balls and pop down their tunnels under the chicken run, so the hens can't get to them....

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 07:03:54 pm »
I used to worry a lot about rat poison and cats but the cat only chases healthy prey and it does not seem to be a problem when my neighbour uses it.  Not a good game to play I know but there must be others out there with cats and rat poison in the neighbourhood is it a fact that the cats can suffer?

Black Sheep

• Joined Sep 2015
  • Briercliffe
    • Monk Hall Farm
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2017, 08:46:16 am »
Traps are just a pain in the bum and I can't put them where I need them otherwise the chickens will get at them ... also i fear for my fingers!

Exactly the same concerns here so am trying these. Not hugely cheap but perhaps a solution? For reference the entry holes are about 10cm from the edge of the trap inside.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00XL3P78I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2017, 02:55:26 pm »
as they love the chicken feed so much!)

It would probably be good to stop the rats' access to chicken food first, no?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2017, 10:23:41 pm »
Will bicarb and chicken feed work? (as they love the chicken feed so much!) ... I'm thinking make up a paste and mould into balls and pop down their tunnels under the chicken run, so the hens can't get to them....
The bicarb has to be dry for it to work.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2017, 07:54:31 am »
When using standard rat baits remove all access to chicken feed for the rats otherwise you are wasting your money.  Chicken feed is an antidote to rat bait.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2017, 12:23:41 pm »
Chicken food is not an antidote to eradibait. The way it is supposed to work is that it coats the lining of a part of the rodent’s lower gut.  This coating of the “fine hairs” in the lower gut called villi, disrupts the message system to the rodents brain causing it to stop drinking.This leads to dehydration, blood thickening, kidney dysfunction, coma and eventual death.

The problem is that they need to eat an awful lot of it so obviously you need to keep chicken feed away from them.  My food store is an old freezer always closed, and they are fed outside and I wait till they eat every bit.  So there is not chicken food left for them.  But I still have rats  :'( :'( :'(

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2017, 01:09:33 pm »
I just meant that i didn't have any oats :-).  Gonna fill the chicken feeder with the bicarb & chicken feed  mash (dry), and put that out at night when the chickens are in.  Then in the morning I'll remove the feeder and hand feed the chickens.  Then hopefully the rats won't be any the wiser....we'll see....

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2017, 10:22:56 am »
Exactly the same concerns here so am trying these. Not hugely cheap but perhaps a solution? For reference the entry holes are about 10cm from the edge of the trap inside.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00XL3P78I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Ooo, these look good, and you can get the boxes without the traps too so I can re-use my existing traps.  Thanks [member=147294]Black Sheep[/member] ! :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS