Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bird flu  (Read 6058 times)

Jethro Tull

• Joined Jan 2014
Bird flu
« on: November 10, 2017, 07:36:59 am »
Anyone got a view on bird flu this winter?

Last year I housed my poultry in a polytunnel - to comply with defra requirements.

I am wondering whether I can plant it with beans and peas now, or whether the birds will be taking up occupation, again?

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Re: Bird flu
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 07:53:02 am »
I hope that the goverment have learnt not to make knee jerk reactions to things and have thought it out better than the farce last year..

A dead duck with bird flu was discovered 5 miles from my farm at a wetfowl centre. The centre closed for 9 days and then re-opened to the public. Despite being exposed to the dead duck the rest of the birds didn't contract bird flu and neither did the centres captive birds.

Most of the restrictions the rest of the UK were placed under were inconvinent to say the least and I suspect a lot of birds (mine included) were housed in unsuitable accomodation for months. Big scale poultry farms already had enhanced bio-security so no change to their routiene under the new rules. Then the end of the farce where birds were allowed out if you filled in a form, which you then kept in a safe place was simply ridiculous.

If it happens the same this year I'll be culling anything thats old, or that can go in the freezer..

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 11:55:42 am »
We overwintered ours in the polytunnel (7x14 metres) last year too, very successfully.  It was lovely to see them with plenty of strawy space to scratch around in and dustbathe in the sun, while outside the rain or blizzards were lashing down.  We protected the crops we wanted (they had a couple of giant cabbages to themselves). We used blue pipe cloches and netting.  This year our handful of new hens are housed in the tunnel already, with access to the garden in the day, and the older ones will join them before Christmas.  If bird flu restrictions do happen, then outside access will have to stop of course.
Our net cage is made of 1" mesh, held up with very sturdy bamboo canes which we had for our bean poles, with sheep hurdles around the bottom. Our brassicas are well protected and we'll do the same when the garlic goes in. That allows us to both grow crops and to overwinter the hens inside.
For us, it doesn't matter if the restrictions come back or not, as we'll keep the hens inside anyway.  For the geese, they will have a small area to graze during the day.
I would say, be prepared with your poles, hurdles and netting at the ready, but go ahead and plant your peas and beans.  Who knows what the powers that be have in mind?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 11:58:18 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 10:45:05 pm »
It was a logistical nightmare last year. Now we're set up it should be not so much fuzz but I'd prefer not to incarcerate my freerange birds again. The amount of runny duck poop in the enclosed run was overwhelming..... :relief:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 02:26:30 pm »
In Scotland we have been waned to expect a lockdown but why I don't know since there was only one incidence last time and it was a wild bird.  Around me some people didn't even keep theirs under cover let alone protected against wild birds.  I was really annoyed and would have reported them had I been able to find the owner
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

gerpsych

• Joined May 2012
  • Gwynedd
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 06:10:11 pm »
Oh God ! Not again. I had managed to put last year out of my mind, the mess the ducks made was quite incredible and the chickens looked pretty fed up with life. I hope you are wrong and we don't have a repeat

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 06:29:30 pm »
Oh God ! Not again. I had managed to put last year out of my mind, the mess the ducks made was quite incredible and the chickens looked pretty fed up with life. I hope you are wrong and we don't have a repeat

At least we should have a month or so to get better housing organised this year. The main problem last time I felt was the lack of time to put up some humane quarters for the birds.  So, let's get building  :farmer: 
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

gerpsych

• Joined May 2012
  • Gwynedd
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 09:04:27 pm »
At least we should have a month or so to get better housing organised this year. The main problem last time I felt was the lack of time to put up some humane quarters for the birds.  So, let's get building  :farmer:

I guess so, last time I was running around like a headless chicken - deconstructing an old plastic greenhouse and doing creative, if unsightly, things with tarpaulins

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 10:24:14 am »

I guess so, last time I was running around like a headless chicken - deconstructing an old plastic greenhouse and doing creative, if unsightly, things with tarpaulins
I think most of us were. And we became quite creative I think  :innocent:  I relied on my son coming over in his spare time to put the birds in dog runs and cover them with tarpaulins.  In theory little wild birds could have got in, but my cat and dogs usually keep them out of the back yard
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 02:55:46 pm »
I'm working on the assumption that there will be a repeat performance this year.  We're approaching the 2016 lockdown date and all mine are in roofed runs.  Twinwall polycarbonate works very well - screw it down with a strip of wood along the top if you're in a windy spot where  gales could get under the polycarb. and rip it upwards.

Terry T

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Norfolk
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 08:05:45 pm »
I’m not expecting a lock down this year. As I understood it there was some “research” to suggest the methods implemented in April time were sufficient.

Fingers crossed ...

New Riverside Farm

• Joined Aug 2017
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2018, 07:46:04 pm »
Hiya - just trying to get to grips with what is needed as a precaution. I wrote a while back about our situation here and that I have two large runs of 6x4 meters and 4x3 meters. They are mesh but since I last wrote, I put tarpaulin over the whole of them in preparation for any possible bird flu epidemic. Generally the chickens go in those at night, and also go further into separate coops to sleep.

In the normal run of things, they get to go out and run further free range in an enclosed run that simply has poultry netting to keep them from running wild but it has no roof as it is their free range area.

Obviously with the quarantines and precautions I have to keep them in their closed up runs and not out in the free range. I believe I am right about this, right? I've seen people discussing the feed being not outside and mine never is, it is always in the area that is covered. Their water is there as well. So I am not sure if I am being over restrictive or not. Obviously I'd love for them to have their happy chicken life so being able to range makes them happy. But obviously they'll be much happier alive, as will I!

I also plan - as I have a poly tunnel and fruitcage, to maybe give them some time in there to give them a little new space, and dirt and change of scenery - yes these chicks are so spoiled and get so bored when they are contained, they pace back and forth as they are so used to a free lifestyle and so often even when they have their huge outdoor area, they're always looking further afield thinking 'hmmm how can we get over there?' 2 loved to escape to lay their eggs with the goats.

Anyway, want to make sure I am taking the correct precautions - enough to keep them alive and enough to give them a good daily regime which keeps them happy. I'd love some advice. I used to have chickens years ago but never had any issues with bird flu. I lost those chickens back then and only recently re-engaged in chooks again but have no experience with bird flu so help is very appreciated!

Aside from that, what other things. I know I need disinfectant to keep areas clean...if I mostly have mud and dirt outside though, how in the world do I manage that? Anyway, I have it as I prepared months ago for this possibility - just not sure if I am using it right and how others might advise.

I am in Yorkshire by the way.

What else should I need to know?

How long - and I know it is a bit of a string question but any guidance - do these quarantines/measures usually run?

Many many thanks!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS