Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: is it ever OK to feed chickens dog or cat food?  (Read 4290 times)

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
is it ever OK to feed chickens dog or cat food?
« on: February 05, 2018, 11:33:42 am »
someone told me that in an emergency (if I ran out of chicken food) I can give my chickens wet or dry dog or cat food. I assume that doing this on an odd occasion is not going to make much difference to anything, but could those more experienced than me offer some advice of the pros and cons variety please?

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
Re: is it ever OK to feed chickens dog or cat food?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 01:16:58 pm »
No, in any rule book, it's not ok, it is meant to upset their gut pH and constitution. It is illegal to feed them meat.

However, some old timers have told me they feed it to show birds to get them in tip top condition. And I have watched hens kill frogs and eat them as well as scaring my cat off mice, dead birds, etc, so they can eat them. Do I think it will hurt your chickens; no, but it is illegal, and perhaps you have something more suitable like some rice you could cook (of course it would have to be rice kept out of your kitchen, and cooked in a pan which isn't used for human food).

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 01:28:17 pm »
I think if you ever run out of chicken food best thing to do is go to the shops and get some more!

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 02:15:23 pm »
They would eat the dog and/or cat given half a chance.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 02:36:22 pm »

It is illegal to feed them meat.

What category of protein come mealworms under.....

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 03:21:09 pm »
Mine sneak dry dog food at every opportunity. So, will the goat and sheep. Never killed anything but I can't decide which is worse, crowing or yapping at day break ::) !

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 03:25:30 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwtuoHyLEiw

Is it fair to feed them a vegetarian diet???

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 03:54:06 pm »
That was quick ME!!  Lightening cat  :cat:

Chickens eat all sorts of natural meaty things, such as beetles, worms, caterpillars, as well as mice and frogs, and happily root around in animal dung if they come across any. They would also do so if they were still in their natural forest floor environment.  So, they are not vegetarian by a mile.  I think the legal reason behind banning them from eating things like pet meat, is because those foods are not prepared for, or guaranteed free from disease for, poultry. So it's not a natural thing to prevent them from eating meat (although most folk buying eggs don't have a clue) but for disease prevention in our farming environment.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 03:56:33 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 05:04:41 pm »
My chickens will come into the kitchen and clean out the dogs bowl. Not that he leaves anything but they like to peck the bits stuck to the bowl
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2018, 05:52:55 pm »
Are you going to turn yourself in or do I have to send the Fuzz round to pick you up?

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2018, 06:24:46 pm »
They would eat the dog and/or cat given half a chance.
;D too true - my (excuse for a) terrier won't go out if they're by the door!

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2018, 02:19:08 pm »
Perris, needs must if that's what you have at hand, you were talking about an emergency after all.  Plus, if you have an ill bird you're tempting to eat or get meds in by mixing it in food and that's what she'll eat then so be it. Just not the variety that includes chicken in its ingredients  ;) 
But if you ever unexpectedly run out of chicken feed, you can give them corn flakes, mashed weetabix, couscous, vegetables etc. Defra won't come knocking on your door because you've given your garden birds some boiled potatoes  :)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2018, 04:20:26 pm »
I feed my cats in the feed room in the stable barn. I can't let the chickens out until cats have eaten as they chase my poor cats and take their food. They have also stolen a mouse now and again from the cats . First thing every morning once they are out they run as fast as their wee legs can get them there to the garden to try and get any bird seed that may drop from the feeders. Sneaky wee devils !

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS