Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What dog breed to choose?  (Read 9726 times)

Rhea

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Wye Valley
Re: What dog breed to choose?
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2017, 08:45:46 am »
Thanks all.

Definitely haven't ruled out labs or retrievers, they just don't seem to interest me although they tick every box activity/temperament wise. It's probably because most I've met have been allowed to get a little bit lazy & portly.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2017, 09:34:25 am »
Definitely haven't ruled out labs or retrievers, they just don't seem to interest me although they tick every box activity/temperament wise. It's probably because most I've met have been allowed to get a little bit lazy & portly.

They do nothing for me either.

After having two collies for 15 years, we decided that we wanted a less demanding dog now. So we have two Cardigan Welsh Corgis.

I had criteria - no genetic issues (just keep the weight off them for back and leg health, but that would apply to most breeds); pastroral breed (although ours have no herding instinct); rare breed (on the KC Vulnerable breeds list and we have rare breed cattle and sheep); no slaver; no yapping (they do bark but it's a big dog bark, not like our neighbours' Jackapoo and miniature poodles) and a low maintenance coat (they shed but they have a double layered coat that shrugs off dirt and water, admitedly on to the floor. No trips to a groomer required).

They aren't small or fragile. Bryn weights 18kg; he's the same size body as our collies, just with short legs. Gwenna, his wee sister, is going to be smaller though.

Both (and their mother) have fantastic temperaments. They are pretty self contained, don't chase livestock, are affectionate, love everyone. Can cuddle on the sofa without having legs everywhere.

Everyone loves their own breed but I'd put in a definite recommendation for the Cardi. In tehse days of "fashionable" breeds and "designer" crosses, there's a lot to be said for these old fashioned, working breeds.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2017, 01:38:39 pm »

We live away from main roads but close to a busy footpath, so whilst we will secure our garden (or a part of it) I want to be able to trust them not to chase anything that moves. The breeds we've looked at so far are border collies, labs, golden retrievers and viszlas but I don't think any are quite right for us.  Any ideas?

I have a working bred golden retriever and a smooth collie (cousin the the rough collie ie not a bare coated border collie).

The smooth collie is a very sweet, gentle dog who has very watered down collie tendancies ie he reacts to movement/a little more vocal than the golden/likes to chase (balls) etc. when he is in the house, apart from a few play bouts with the other, he is sound asleep. he's very affectionate and friendly. outside he's up for cani-X, we are about to start agility and he likes to play and walk etc. Not a big fan of the wet despite his superb waterproof coat. He's totally happy to do as much or as little as you want and imo, the perfect sized family dog (he's 23kg). Only downside is availability (as rare) and many are MDR-1 affected but thats easily managed these days.

the working bred golden is high, high energy-fabulous dog who I think really highly of but he's alot of work (and much fun!).

I run both of them caniX but not often in company-it did flip the golden's switch a bit so I mainly run with him loose now-if I were a stronger runner/more dedicated it would have been fine. the smooth is a perfect running partner. the smooth also loves the cats -is a little excited by my ducks and hens but is kept seperate. He's been taught to not bark/chase the horses, sheep etc.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 01:41:39 pm by lord flynn »

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2017, 01:45:00 pm »
Thanks all.

ha! look at working bred dogs rather than bench bred. I always thought too that they were maybe a bit 'ordinary' for me. I've not yet met a fence/obstacle the golden cannot tackle-he's very smart at problem solving, extremely athletic and I cant keep weight on him. he's a delight-trainable, loyal, bold as brass with energy to burn.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10155684911172866&l=8dadf47be5

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2017, 07:11:43 pm »
As me has already said a whippet is a very good all round dog I have 2 here I can walk through my hens and won't even look at them , both are good with cows sheep and horses, they will play with the ferrets but kill rats , both very laid back dogs who will sleep all day if you let them

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2017, 06:12:35 pm »
Thanks all.

ha! look at working bred dogs rather than bench bred. I always thought too that they were maybe a bit 'ordinary' for me. I've not yet met a fence/obstacle the golden cannot tackle-he's very smart at problem solving, extremely athletic and I cant keep weight on him. he's a delight-trainable, loyal, bold as brass with energy to burn.

That's why I suggested a more unusual type of retriever!  :innocent:  Anyone can recommend theirm own breed, read teh Kennel Club descriptions or go on breed websites fro more information once you have a short list.  Then go and see some in the flesh before you buy
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2017, 08:48:04 pm »
Thanks all.

That's why I suggested a more unusual type of retriever!  :innocent:  Anyone can recommend theirm own breed, read teh Kennel Club descriptions or go on breed websites fro more information once you have a short list.  Then go and see some in the flesh before you buy

sorry, didnt see you suggest a breed at all? as for suggesting their own breed, I was just offering personal experience, thats kind of what forums are about-have also kept collies and setters and wasn't recommending either of those. bit baffled as to your singling my post out tbh.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2017, 11:24:38 am »
Didn't mean to single yours out Flynn, just quoted the whole post including Rhea's

Still think a retriever would suit - probably a more unusual one to give them 'something different'
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2017, 02:04:57 pm »
Whatever dog you get it will all be down to training on how it behaves with you. I had German shepherds for years. Show and work and they brought me joy just being with them. When the last one passed away we decided to go for a Border Collie, he has eye problems which were not picked up on his first vetting. I also have a Jack Russell who thinks he is a German Shepherd as he trained with them when I was teaching. our 3rd dog is a Lab cross collie and she is mad on water. Loves the sea, muddy puddles , toys  like our collie the pair would play all day. All 3 dogs are well train, when told to leave wither its a rabbit or a chicken even the cats they will do so on command. Rascal the collie has a thing for trying to round up the ponies so I have to keep a close eye on him as he will try to sneak away if he thinks I am not looking at him. My Jack Russell is the one who sticks by me. He is my protector, when I am out so are the dogs. I never thought I would be a small dog person but Jack taught me size is nothing if they have a big loving heart and so much fun to be around. Jake knew I had cancer months before I did. As i no longer go running anymore we do beach or forrest walks which they all love. The right dog will stand out when you see it I am sure.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2017, 07:36:10 pm »
Working line labs are athletic and slim. They need a good education just like any other breed but are usually quick to learn and eager to please.

They can run all day but usually settle well in the house. Enjoy pottering round the smallholding and usually easy to train around chickens and other stock.

Some have a tendency to be highly strung, over sensitive and can be nervous around strangers.

Gunestone

• Joined Jan 2017
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2017, 01:23:21 pm »
Another vote for a gundog breed here ;)
We have two working golden retrievers, they are superb with the children and all the animals. Will happily go all day or mooch around the smallholding. The dog is an excellent watchdog though very laid-back. The bitch can be hyper, but very clever,  I bikejor with her. Likewise I know many working labs who are also brilliant dogs. Both of these breeds would make great first dogs.

Having said that, we have just been in the same situation as you, our male is getting on now and we wanted something a little different. The result? We now have a four month old male Deerhound.  :excited: He is wonderful, however I wouldn't recommend them as a first dog. Harder to train than the retrievers, and they really do love the company of another dog. We have been lucky as  our male (now 9), will play and run with him to his hearts content.

waddy

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2017, 06:30:53 pm »
We have a working line golden. Gorgeous girl with a fantastic temperament. Very lithe and athletic and will run and run (a ball and flinger ensures we don't have to do quite so much running although I am certainly getting my exercise too). She is our first dog and has been a joy to train (training us of course too). She is eight months old and looks like Monty Don's Nellie. She is small for a golden and won't grow as large as the show types living next door. She is laid back when we need her to be and will mooch around after us all day. She has learned that chickens are off limits to chase and will happily wander around with them (no incidents with them so far although we do supervise). We couldn't be happier with her. She came from a breeder of working lines on the Champ Dogs site and had good hip and eye scores etc.

Good luck with your quest!

:thumbsup:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2017, 05:24:52 pm »
Some very sound points from Sally and doganjo.  I don't think Collies, whether Border or Welsh, are suitable for first-time owners.  They just want to work, all the time.  We have a BC X Staffie X Corgi which is desperate to please but lethal to rats and squirrels,  but that mixture might just as easily have brought out other traits from those breeds so nothing's certain. 

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2017, 12:08:10 pm »
. She came from a breeder of working lines on the Champ Dogs site and had good hip and eye scores etc.
Just a word of warning - be very careful of any online dog breeder sites - champdogs included.  Puppy farmers can register with no checks done.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 11:03:33 pm by doganjo »

waddy

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2017, 06:49:47 pm »
The breeder didn't actually advertise his puppies. I contacted a number of breeders and his name was well known. He is a field trial judge. I agree with Doganjo. You need to be very careful.

Helen

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS