Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What dog breed to choose?  (Read 9700 times)

Rhea

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Wye Valley
What dog breed to choose?
« on: October 31, 2017, 09:29:31 am »
For the last few months we've been seriously thinking about getting a dog, and after trying to find our perfect breed my husband found an absolutely beautiful collie cross on a rehoming site. We applied for her, passed the home visit, but were told she was 'a chaser' so not suitable for our cats + chickens. Whilst it's sad for it not to work out, we're now focused on getting a dog so after reading through the other similar queries on here I wondered if anyone would have any advice for us.

We're first time dog owners, and whilst we're reasonably active I'd like a dog that at times will be happy to keep us company as we do jobs around the smallholding rather than constantly needing attention. I run several times a week and would love to try canicross, so think a medium sized breed would be best.

We live away from main roads but close to a busy footpath, so whilst we will secure our garden (or a part of it) I want to be able to trust them not to chase anything that moves. The breeds we've looked at so far are border collies, labs, golden retrievers and viszlas but I don't think any are quite right for us.  Any ideas?

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
Re: What dog breed to choose?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 11:09:43 am »
If you don't need a purebreed for any reason (to show/work/compete) then please look again at rescues. You can then choose a personality which fits with your needs, rather than choosing a pup for breed traits which may or may not materialise in the pup.
I have a lovely collie cross and have had, and known, some other lovely collie cosses.
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

Rhea

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Wye Valley
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 11:32:23 am »
Definitely haven't ruled out a rescue, but having an idea of the right breed might stop us falling for the completely wrong dog in future   :'(

So many we've looked at seem to have issues that as first time owners I don't think we're best to deal with.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 03:15:40 pm »
You seem to have a very logical approach. Don't discount a lurcher, whippet etc. Obviously they come with a desire to chase so early training is required with sheep, however they have a lot less drive than many collies, are easily kept happy with a fraction of the exercise and time (especially whippets) compared to many other breeds. 

Terry T

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Norfolk
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 03:18:24 pm »
What an exciting dilemma to have.   
I would recommend a crossbreed, they are often much healthier and haven’t been beed for a single purpose so can fit in more easily.
Most dogs will want to harrass your other animals and so you will need to train them and keep them on a lead until you know you can trust them, with my first dog, a lab staffy cross this took a couple of weeks. My second dog, Jack Russel x Cocker Spaniel x Yorkshire Terriier, it was closer to 9 month.
In my experrience, rescue centres are notoriously reluctant to give up there dogs :trophy: ???  I tried several last time with hundreds of dogs on their books and they all assured me none were suitable, I’m sure most could have been trained, like the puppy I ended up getting through a private sale, a mutt, from a smallholding. If you can make the rescue thing work then great, but personally I would keep my options open. If going through a private sale, look for someone with similar background to yourselves - if you want a family pet, a working pedigree may not be ideal.

It’s definitely worth the effort, I wouldn’t be without one.

Rhea

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Wye Valley
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 05:47:48 pm »
I had discounted whippets due to the prey drive, but for the same reason I ruled out cocker spaniels and they are often recommended on here. I know training is important, but I thought I'd help myself by not starting with a challenge.

It was very nice when looking at rescue dogs to not worry about hip scores or baer tests.

Rhea

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Wye Valley
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 06:05:26 pm »
Does anyone have any experience with wirehaired viszlas? They seem to be considered more laid back than the smooths.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2017, 06:34:46 pm »

It was very nice when looking at rescue dogs to not worry about hip scores or baer tests.

Unfortunately, rescues - whether crossbreeds or pure bred - can have heritable problems.  Worst hips of any dog I’ve ever owned were a rescue GSD cross.  He seemed fine at the time we rescued him, which we and the vets thought was between 18 months and 3 years old.  He was very active and agile, but an X-ray later revealed dreadful hip sockets.  It curtailed the type of exercise we could do with him.

And if you rescue a young collie or collie cross, then I’d definitely want to look into the various hereditary collie issues.

I will be shouted down from saying this, I always am, but it is my belief and my experience that collies and collie crosses are not in general the best pets, and are certainly not the dog for a novice.  And if you’re wanting to do caniX (or agility or other high energy activity), a collie or colllie cross could well be the type that will get so hyper it bites you constantly.  (This has been my experience re agility, and that of a very experienced friend - a trained vet nurse to boot - re caniX.)

I will get shouted down for this too, but all of the miniature (middle sized) F1 poodle crosses I’ve met have been super dogs, with loads of human orientation and desire to please, along with a dilution of whatever character trait the other parental breed has in excess.  So cockerpoos and springerpoos might well suit.  I met and really loved a Bedlington x Poodle and I imagine a whippet x poodle would be a tremendous dog.

Having lit two blue touch papers I will retire behind the sofa.   :sofa:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2017, 07:13:29 pm »
We have a Lakeland terrier who fits your bill; at the bottom end of medium sized dog, learnt quickly not to chase free ranging chickens, horses, cows, and sheep (though he's a slow learner on almost everything else); does not wander beyond the hamlet (but does bark at strangers who come onto the property), and not demanding of company. It's a very old breed with no particular health issues, though ours has a manageable skin condition. All in all he's very easy. And very cute.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2017, 08:09:31 pm »
Narrow your options.

What size do you want
Do you want short or long haired
Do you want to start with a puppy or an older dog

You can not over exercise puppies and growing youngsters so taking them for long runs will be out of the equation for quite a while.

Gun dogs in my opinion are not suitable for novice owners unless they know they can be very firm from the word go. They need stimulation like any working dog. Prey drive is related to recall which you need for any type of dog. At the end of the day all dogs will and can hunt given the opportunity.

If they are going to spend long hours out in all sorts of weathers are they going to feel the cold? The working vizlas I know don't like the cold and wet.

Research shows that cross breeds actually aren't any less prone to health problems than pedigree breeds. If you are going for a pedigree know about the health issues particular breeds can suffer from. If you can rehome then ask lots of questions about the dogs background bearing in mind it could be that no-one knows anything about the dogs history.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2017, 09:05:30 pm »
I had discounted whippets due to the prey drive,.

Bring them up with things you do not want chased and its fine. I have whippets and they are no danger to anything, sheep, poultry, ferrets, cats, children are fine. Bunny needs to watch his step mind

Rhea

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Wye Valley
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2017, 09:16:27 pm »
Completely get about narrowing options, I'd prefer a medium-large dog, hair I don't mind and understand that for something like canicross they need to be 1 year +.  I think that's why I like the idea of an older dog, but if I can't find a rescue that is good for a smallholding I'll wait and train a puppy.

I think the wirehaired viszla was bred to make them more suitable for colder weather, but I hate winter rain so we might be a nice combination  ;)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2017, 09:40:05 pm »
Personally I wouldn't have a rescue unless it was very young or I knew it's history and temperment for sure.  With a cross breed or mongrel you have absolutely no idea what the end result will be like.  At least with crossbreeds you can have some idea, but even then history can cause breed temperament to be different.

I was going to suggest a lab, it seems eminently suitable for what you describe till I saw your next post saying you didn't think it was the right breed for you - can I ask you why you came to that conclusion?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2017, 06:38:43 am »
Personally I wouldn't have a rescue unless it was very young or I knew it's history and temperment for sure.  With a cross breed or mongrel you have absolutely no idea what the end result will be like.  At least with crossbreeds you can have some idea, but even then history can cause breed temperament to be different.

I was going to suggest a lab, it seems eminently suitable for what you describe till I saw your next post saying you didn't think it was the right breed for you - can I ask you why you came to that conclusion?

I thought the same about retriever ..... Why not?
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2017, 07:39:02 am »
Our German Wire Haired Pointer could stand far more wet and cold than a wire haired Vizla. Both are strong minded dogs.

I entirely agree with Me about prey drive. I have a Deerhound. I was warned that they take off over several fields for a mouse. She has never taken off after anything. I have always found sighthounds and lurchers and the like very loyal and also neat in the house. Mine never take all the sofa! My labs have always been very loyal too, easy to train and good companions. They soak up wet, mud and cold!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS