Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Quarantine Wormer  (Read 3449 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Quarantine Wormer
« on: September 20, 2017, 10:20:24 pm »
We bought four new sheep at the auction on Saturday, so I consulted the excellent new QMS sheep worming guide to find out about recommended quarantine wormers.

This recommends a group 4 or 5 wormer for quarantine treatment, but our vet was only willing to sell me a full bottle, at a cost of £100  :o . So, I've wormed them with dectomax instead, and will do individual FECs tomorrow to check they're all clear, before turning them out onto 'dirty' pasture.

I'd be interested to know what the rest of you do though, (for worms, fluke and other potentially bought-in diseases such as CODD). Do you have any hints and tips?  :thumbsup:

"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Quarantine Wormer
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 09:29:04 am »
Before Group 4 and 5 drenches were introduced it was usual to use a white and a clear drench.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 10:13:54 am »
Our vet got us 6 doses of Zolvix for our new sheep which was really really helpful  :relief:  Otherwise I probably would have had to buy a whole bottle. Dectomax isn't a quarantine wormer really, although we used it alongside Zolvix for scab cover (2 jabs of Dectomax 7 days apart). When the new ewes came I tipped them all over and inspected and blue sprayed each foot, gave 1 a shot of alamycin for scald rather than buy a footbath. They were all fluked with my other ewes about 4 weeks after they arrived.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 11:39:51 am »
It seems bizarre that a vet won't dispense the required amount of the recommended quarantine wormer.  ???   Surely that would lead to people buying more than needed for the quarantine purpose, and rather than wasting the money, then using it up on all their sheep - leading to faster development of resistance. ::)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 01:30:30 pm »
They were all fluked with my other ewes about 4 weeks after they arrived.

You may need to look at this again. Farmer laziness (ie. using drenches for all fluke treatments because "it kills all stages") has led to widespread resistance issues. Look at other options and do it on arrival

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 04:46:42 pm »
It seems bizarre that a vet won't dispense the required amount of the recommended quarantine wormer.  ???   Surely that would lead to people buying more than needed for the quarantine purpose, and rather than wasting the money, then using it up on all their sheep - leading to faster development of resistance. ::)
I guess it depends on how many sheep clients the vet has? No point opening a bottle of zolvix for 1 sheep client to take out a dozen doses, as that will have to be absorbed back into the costs of running a large animal practise, meaning vet bills are higher.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 06:26:05 pm »
To be fair to our vet, they do usually dispense small amounts (I just bought fourteen sponges for instance). It seems to depend on whether lots of other people are asking for the same thing, or indeed whether they happen to have a bottle open already, say because one of the vets needed one dose for a particular animal.

Let's hope they're clear following the dectomax jab - I'm running short of non-sheepy grass (i.e. the back garden  ;D ) to keep them on!!

EDIT:  So I've just done individual FECs for three of the sheep (number four wasn't for pooing), and found... wait for it.... ONE measly worm egg.

The trouble is, though that's statistically very close to zero, psychologically it's quite some way off it!  Damn!  :poo:
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 08:09:18 pm by Womble »
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2017, 08:09:20 pm »

I suppose if they dispense you say 6ml, and then had to dispose of the rest if it goes out of date/passes whatever use within X after being broached then they would take a big loss

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 09:10:44 pm »
We've just bought in a new Badger Face ram lamb and our vet has dispensed a single dose of Zolvix and of flukicide.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 10:23:57 pm »
Well don't keep the name to yourself MF he now has a whole bottle to dispose of help him back by sharing the name at least

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2017, 10:13:09 am »
Member of the XL Vets group - they have bottles of non-perishable vetmeds on a shelf - you can see what's available as they have a big marker pen cross on them.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2017, 01:29:59 pm »
Member of the XL Vets group - they have bottles of non-perishable vetmeds on a shelf - you can see what's available as they have a big marker pen cross on them.

My vet in Cumbria was part of XL Vets too.  They were always very helpful, well beyond the job description  :love:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS