Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice for store shed  (Read 3817 times)

Belladonna01

• Joined Aug 2017
  • Swansea
Advice for store shed
« on: August 28, 2017, 05:50:18 pm »
Hello all. I recently bought a 3 acre field a stones throw from my home , my hope is to put a 60x30 steel portal store shed there. I gather the rules in planning are different if the land is under 11 acres?. have any of you got advice that will help me achieve my goal.  thanks in advance

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Notts / Yorkshire border
Re: Advice for store shed
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 03:27:19 pm »
It will need full planning permission 
You need to justify the need for it
Ie storage of hay straw ect for livestock,  machinery storage  for use on the land.
If you only have 3 acres you may have problems justifying that size depends on council and for proposed use
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 03:30:47 pm by mart6 »

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 03:39:33 pm »
However, if you have any other land that you rent, or could say that you rent, so that the total land (theoretically!) available to you exceeds 12 acres, then you could apply for permitted agricultural development. As mentioned, make sure you put its use down as something agricultural.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Belladonna01

• Joined Aug 2017
  • Swansea
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 09:51:49 pm »
thanks both , where theres a will theres a way...

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 10:04:45 pm »
Happily the fee for an agricultural planning app is considerable less than normal full planning.

Id advise trying for your 60 X 30 if they knock it back on the grounds of size then half the size- you still have a good sized shed.

I applied for one twice 1.5 times the size I wanted expecting neighbour complaints  so I could reduce it...happily it went through !

I strongly advise using a planning consultant to assist you with the application it is money well spent...they will help you word it to get what you want and the planners are wary of refusing as they know that that consult know ants know the rules.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 10:23:42 pm »
If you are going down the permitted development route, then it is just that - permitted. You aren't asking the planners' permission. You are merely asking them to check that you fit the criteria for permitted development and if you do then it is your right to erect a building (or buildings) up to the maximum permitted area. So there is no question of them telling you how big a building you can put up. You can have one as big as you like up to the permitted maximum.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 09:40:52 pm by landroverroy »
Rules are made:

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 12:00:22 am »
If you haven't already go on the government planning portal site and look up permitted development (pre notification) for agricultural use. Yes it is different rules for an plot under 5 hectares but as already mentioned you don't have to own it all, just have the use of it so may be worth exploring finding some more land you could lease for a while..... It also needs to be a business, though that could be a new business of course.

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Notts / Yorkshire border
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 07:04:30 pm »
Not sure about when you apply for a agricultural building
But if its residential and you have rented land they want to see a proper tenancy/rental agreement in force
think i read somewhere it has to be for a minimum of  7 years remaining .

Otherwise everyone could just rent the extra for a  @ year to get permission

And do not overlook the fact if you get permission for agricultural building and it ceases being used for agricultural
use within 10 years they can make you remove it.
If you have not gained change of use permission

Belladonna01

• Joined Aug 2017
  • Swansea
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 07:58:46 pm »
many thanks all,  I probably shall take guidance off an agricultural planning application person. would any of you have a recommendation  for one in the south wales region.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2017, 08:28:40 pm »
Ask for a recommendation at your local mart, the management there will know everyone in the area.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2017, 09:40:03 pm »
Not sure about when you apply for a agricultural building
But if its residential and you have rented land they want to see a proper tenancy/rental agreement in force
think i read somewhere it has to be for a minimum of  7 years remaining .

Otherwise everyone could just rent the extra for a  @ year to get permission

And do not overlook the fact if you get permission for agricultural building and it ceases being used for agricultural
use within 10 years they can make you remove it.
If you have not gained change of use permission

I have applied for 2 lots of permitted development in the last few years from 2 different planning authorities. I have never been asked for proof of ownership or tenancy. You just fill the form in.
Permitted development is NOT planning permission and is a lot easier to comply with if you fit the criteria.
Yes you do lose permitted development rights if you cease to use it for agriculture within 10 years. So in that case you would just apply for retrospective planning permission for an already existing building.

But in reality, who is going to know? If you are still storing stuff then no one is going to know whether it is agricultural or not, or even know if you are doing something non agricultural; unless you were stupid enough to put a big sign up advertising it, or start causing a nuisance so the neighbours complained to the planners and brought you to their attention.

In fact I did start using one of my buildings for "something other than agriculture" and was reported to the council because one or 2 residents of the village we are in are petty minded and resent anyone else trying to make a living. In fact I had someone renting half the building and selling stuff on ebay. It made absolutely no difference to anyone else and didn't cause any nuisance or extra traffic, but we were newcomers so had to be scrutinised and put in our place. Anyway, the enforcement officer made an appointment and came along. She was very pleasant ( unusual, but I think she fancied my son!) and I explained that this was stuff we were selling, and as soon as it had all gone we would be filling the building with our machinery etc again. You are quite entitled to store your own stuff in your own buildings, but there was of course a baler and a farm trailer there as well to be seen. So she was quite happy and we've had no more complaints.

OK the purists among you may say that we were bending the rules and our permitted development rights should have been withdrawn as we were taking advantage of the system. :huff:
To which I would say "Get a life!". In my book  when we all stick rigidly to the rules then I shall too. :sunshine: In the meantime while massive companies like Amazon and McDonalds can save millions by bending the rules I see it as my right to do the same. :innocent: 
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 10:55:17 am by landroverroy »
Rules are made:

Belladonna01

• Joined Aug 2017
  • Swansea
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2017, 12:42:50 pm »
great post Roy

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2017, 04:26:13 pm »
Thanks Belladonna. :thumbsup:
Rules are made:

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2017, 03:59:15 pm »
[member=6533]landroverroy[/member] is right on all counts.  I have recently got pre notification (permitted dev)'for a store. The land is (just)'over 5 hectares. There were no searching questions. But for a 3 acre plot it seems to be more dependent on your local authorities plan.

Belladonna01

• Joined Aug 2017
  • Swansea
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2017, 09:09:11 pm »
It seems I shall,l have to be pre-armed  with some help with" extra land " for the time leading up to the time I notify the council then :innocent: :innocent:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS