Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: obtaining use of council help needed  (Read 11672 times)

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
Re: obtaining use of council help needed
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2010, 11:35:01 am »
You can search for land ownership using on http://www.landregistry.gov.uk/

Its surprising how much land has not been registered, if no-one complains or the current 'owner' cannot prove in their deeds that its theirs you can claim ownership of land.

Just because a piece of land is 'derelict' or outside your boundaries does not mean that its owned by the council.

Ta

Baz

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2010, 11:38:52 am »
It sounds good in theory, but what is to stop a group of say travellers taking over the same piece of land using this argument.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2010, 12:28:24 pm »
Land registry is only England
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2010, 05:43:56 pm »
There is nothing, in theory, to stop a traveller or in fact anyone claiming the land if it is not registered to anyone then all they have to do is prove they have used it for 10 years and it can be officially registered in that said persons name.  If they have no access to the land then they obviously cant claim that they have used it.  If the land is at the end of your garden then you could effectively use it and go on to claim it as your own if no-one objects within that time.

If I were you I would use the land, if the council does indeed own it, you'll hear from them soon enough.  The most likely way for them to find out is a jealous neighbour who sees you expanding your boundary when they cant or wont do the same.

Search google for 'how to claim unregistered land' - in amoung all the spam websites there is some quality information that will explain how to go about finding who has the title to the land and if there is no-one, how to go about claiming use of it, eventually claiming ownership.

Back to the predicament though, it does seem strange that the council will not let you use the wasteland to grow your own veg and commit to a greener living in this day and age, you would think that they would maybe open the area to a number of people for a peppercorn rent perhaps then get an article in the paper saying how the local council has helped local people commit to a greener living by helping them with the supply of space to do it in.  I know the job of the council should not be to spin media to a positive, but they miss out on so many opertunities to both help themselves and also help the tax paying citizens that employ them.

Ta

Baz

Meh!

• Joined Jul 2010
  • West Lothian
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2010, 11:58:27 pm »
Hey Guys!! You're all getting way off the mark.....
Sorry to be stroppy lol

The housing department dont deal with the issue you are discussing. Myself and my colleagues do.Thats why you're not getting the answers you should be. Alan, I'll mail you directly and you can tell me where your land is and I will confirm if the council owns it or not.
If NLC does not then there are other ways to find out - or at least try before the land registry (fee only £6 though)

Landlords are wary of ground leases for agriicultural use as they have to be for a max of 364 days at a time otherwise 'agricultural tenancies' can be formed which are difficlut and expensive for landlords to get out of. Someone spoke about whats called prescriptive rights but you have to occupy the land unchallenged for 10 years and thats a long wait which may be for nothing!

Am happy to have a chat about this and see if I can help or advise.

I

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS