Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: obtaining use of council help needed  (Read 11708 times)

valr

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Brightons nr Falkirk
Re: obtaining use of council help needed
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2010, 08:22:19 pm »
You can pay these people to do a search and tell you who owns any piece of land in Scotland

http://www.millar-bryce.com/aboutus.htm

If you are very very lucky you might find out that the Council DONT own it at all! There are tiny parcels of land all over the place that fell through the net and are still owned by some ancient feudal superior ... ie effectively no-one! If you then use the land for a certain period uninterrupted (cant remember the period - may be 10 or 20 years I'd need to look it up) you can register a title to it then you own it!

A friend of mine was going to do this with some land adjoining her property but unfortunately before the time was up the Earl of something or other  who counted it among his large chunk of Scotland, rumbled her!

Susie

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2010, 08:39:48 pm »
Hi,
Not sure if the rules are different in Scotland but I know that in England the following applies - info nicked from here http://www.farmgarden.org.uk/ari/documents/plotholdersguide.pdf

"Each council decides for itself how much of its resources to devote to allotments. However, if a council considers there is a demand, it has a statutory duty to provide a sufficient quantity of plots and to lease them to people living in its area. If local people feel there is a demand for allotments that is not being met, they can get together any six residents who are registered on the electoral roll and put their case to the local authority to consider."

Most people get knocked back because the council comes back and says there are no suitable sites nearby that they own, but as you have already identified one they can't do this with you. I know you said the area of land isn't that large but I think splitting it into 6 is the minimum requirement to force the council to do something via the allotment route.

Other than that definitely agree with the local councillor and MP route and have you thought about going to the local paper? A nice little story about how you want to tidy up the local area, live healthily, growing your own produce etc etc but the council won't help....

Or, if that doesn't work you could go down the guerilla gardening route (www.guerillagardening.org). Surely nowadays the council won't have the money or resources to challenge you!  ::)

Good luck with it!  ;D

Meh!

• Joined Jul 2010
  • West Lothian
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2010, 03:41:45 pm »
With no malice intended, if you live within North Lanarkshire you have probably spoken to the wrong gal or guy!
I'm one of these 'council idiots' (actually we're not all so bad) and one of the surveyors who would deal with your case. I havent come across you - hence you may have been barking up the wrong tree.
Councillors can be very helpful, however they often just come back and ask the individual responsible what the details are so they understand. If there is a reason you were told no, the councillor will simply have this explained. If anyone else has a propery issu I'd be happy to advise where I can. :-)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2010, 07:24:32 pm »
If anyone else has a propery issu I'd be happy to advise where I can. :-)

Meh you may live to regret these words.  :P ::)

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2010, 08:16:03 pm »
 Isn't it funny how THE COUNCIL seems to have separated themselves from the people . I thought that the council was a civic thing ie of the people for the people ...not just for the council  !!!
 We pay their wages ...
 We give them their jobs ...
Well what we give we can also take away !!! In this time of increasing uncertainty of job security , I wonder how many councilors or just plain civil servants feel 'safe' right now ... ?
Now is a very good time to ask politely for the use of 'waste ' ground . If all else fails ...why not just use it anyway .... how many people could they take to court these days ?
 Ok , so worse case scenario , you use without permission , they tell you not to , you carry on, they issue an enforcement order , you obey and stop using it ... but someone else pops up and carries on the good work ... another enforcement order !! another person pops up ...just how much money would the council have to lay out , to keep going that way  ?.... it isn't THEIR land .. it is our land ... ( the people of the area that is.)  . I know that is a subversive way of looking at it ... but if councils want to play at being the SS then they must expect 'the people' to become the 'underground' .
I do know that not all councilors are horrible or bad or corrupt ....just like MP's there are some good ones ... cemetery's are full of them  ... ::) ::) ;D

cheers

Russ

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2010, 08:32:09 pm »
I agree rusty. Get on the ground and leave it to the council to stop you. It could be years before they get around to challenging you.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2010, 08:39:33 pm »
Don't p*ss off the Council. At least not yet.

Contact your local Councillor - there will be more than one because of the new voting system, so contact them all. The services involved will probably be either Housing or Property services depending on the Council is organised. If there are Councillors with specific remits for these services, contact them as well. Put the case thet you will save them maintenance costs and will be supporting the gwrowing of local food etc etc. - if you've got SNP councilors you might want to remind them that their Government has a food policy that supports local food growing.

Council staff, if you get the right one and therein lies the problem, are usually happy to help.

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2010, 08:52:54 pm »
It most likely would be a very long time before the council found out that you were using the land 'illegally' if you did so. But in this Gestapo propaganda  brainwashed, curtain twitching , drop everyone in the kack thing that we call society , it would most likely be a neighbour that reported you for using said land... such is life these days ... ::) ::) 

cheers

Russ 

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2010, 10:54:06 pm »
It most likely would be a very long time before the council found out that you were using the land 'illegally' if you did so. But in this Gestapo propaganda  brainwashed, curtain twitching , drop everyone in the kack thing that we call society , it would most likely be a neighbour that reported you for using said land... such is life these days ... ::) ::) 

cheers

Russ 

What a sad and cynical view of the world you have. I feel really sorry for you.  :'(

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2010, 12:16:58 am »

cheers

Russ 

What a sad and cynical view of the world you have. I feel really sorry for you.  :'(

Sad to say but I think that Russ is right. It may only be one in ten or even twenty but there is always one person out there who is with the 'Gestapo'
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2010, 01:10:59 am »
thanks Rosemary .... but it isn't the world I am cynical of , my cynicism is of the people who run it !!
 People may say we don't live in such a world ... is that so ?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1232041/500-spy-neighbour-State-bribe-tip-council-house-illegally-sub-let.html
 You can argue that it is good to report people for renting houses out when they don't own them ... that isn't my point .. my point is they are getting people to spy on neighbours and giving them a lot of money to do so ... Bribery !!! is that not corruption ?
 There are god knows how many web sites and phone numbers around now where you can report people for benefit fraud , tax evasion , insurance fraud , along with all the CCTV cameras that we are told are such a fantastic help in crime reduction . Well the police 's own records state different . They say that less than 3% of all crime is detected by CCTV .
 CCTV on roads doesn't in fact stop accidents or decrease speed (that again is fact from the police themselves ) , what they do is earn £90 million pounds per year , they are simply a money earner .
 I am in no way standing up for criminals ... my brother is one and is where he should be .. in prison . But the overall effect that government and councils are creating is a society of fear and  distrust on a basis of corruption . Once again there is a similarity to 1930's Germany . Where kids in the Hitler youth were brainwashed into reporting even their own family to the SS or Gestapo .
 You may think I am talking rubbish but my auntie is German and was in the Hitler youth . I have seen photos of her standing next to Adolf Hitler and shaking his hand .She isn't a bad person or a horrid Kraut SS sympathiser , she was just a kid in the Hitler youth , like many hundreds of thousands ,( at the time it was more like the scouts , than what it became later on ) , who was receiving a prize for winning a race ( I wonder if it was an Aryan race ?) .
Anyway , the fear and distrust that is being created is real . The fear of terrorism that has allowed so many law changes and robbed us of our civil liberties , is basically unfounded . They say there are many thousands of suspected terrorists in the UK ... who let them in ? Read the book Londonistan ... If there were so many just waiting to wipe this country of the face of the earth , why is it still here ... because the police are so good at finding them ? crap ... How long did it take them to find one bloke Raoul Moat ? and he was living under the village , even walking down the high street on at least 3 occasions . No, it is all created fear and distrust of those around us when the people to fear, distrust are the MP's etc themselves. Am I cynicle of society .... once again not really ... just those corrupt people who are controlling it, and therefore us .  
 Any sorrow should be aimed at those who try to utilize a small bit of waste land , or similar scenarios , but are rejected by planning Dept's who have way over stepped any 'remit ' there may have been to start with .
 How many councils have corrupt planning officers , nearly every one I have had anything to do with . My dad owned a firm that did maintenance work on schools etc and all the councils he dealt with were corrupt. That isn't to say ALL councilors are corrupt no more than all MP's are . But even so called good ones can be corrupt . They accept trips and holidays , go to civic functions that cost thousands , have very well paid expense accounts , and who pays for all this ... we do .
This isn't a rant ... long winded maybe !! but not a rant , I am not having a dig or a go at you Rosemary , I am quite calm and happy , as I am most of the time in my life anyway . I just detest the total utter corruption that has filled our civil service and our politicians even our police force too. They are a complete runaway train , out of control ... somewhere along the line though there are a set of buffers !!! Will they stop before they reach them at full speed ? , I doubt it !! They will smash clean straight through them , and it will be a broken society that has to clear up the carnage . A society broken by the train wreckers .

cheers

Russ  

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2010, 07:01:47 am »
All far to true Russ.Please do not forget "BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU" but alas not "THEM" THEY THINK ???  :( :o >:( :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2010, 08:03:18 am »
Oh I wish I could have written that Rusty. I so agree with you.

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2010, 08:26:00 am »
Absolutely agree with you Russ.

Here's an example. In the article on your post they mentioned houses being used to grow cannabis. We had one in our road. It was in a semi detached house and the connected householder noticed the smell and recognised all the signs (blacked out windows etc). He told the police.............nothing! He told the council........nothing!

Turns out that some Asian fellers had rented the house and converted the whole house including the loft and installed a pit bull!

It wasn't until some black fellers got wind (pardon the pun) of the house and decided they might quite like what was in there that the police got involved. Oh and the ensuing riot that took place when the two gangs had a fight may have had something to do with it.

All the authorities could have stopped this very early. Why didn't they? Turns out the Asian fellers 'knew' a local councilor..............obviously a coincidence!

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2010, 08:38:23 am »
For a long time round here Ian it,s been Not what you know its who you know.As well as what comes in through the docks and through Immingham. ??? :'(
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS