Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A Red Beet pickle for sandwiches  (Read 3004 times)

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
A Red Beet pickle for sandwiches
« on: July 04, 2010, 06:12:14 pm »
Beetroot a different pickle
Boil your beets and sluff off the skin when they are cool enough to handle Cut off the crown and tail root Then dice into 10m/m cubes and fill the cubes into jars up yo the base of the neck.Boil some of your favourite pickling vinegar to which you have added some sugar to kill the over powering acid taste.Into a basin breakup a raspberry jelly cover with some of your vinegar and micro wave it to melt it.stir in to the jug of vinegar note use a pint of vinegar instead of water (Do it a bit shy to allow for the water on the beet this will make the resultant jelly sloppy and it wants to be set like jelly for tea)Top up all the jars and store in a dark place for a month Goes good with cheese and with pork pies :farmer:
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 07:29:04 am by Wizard »
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

valr

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Brightons nr Falkirk
Re: A Red Beet pickle for sandwiches
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 06:21:35 pm »
Thanks! Will be trying that.
It's great being able to recycle all my jars and bottles!

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 09:08:03 pm »
Would you believe I save all my jars 1 year to the next and all ways run out ;D ;D :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 09:46:22 pm »
i leave a note and a box down at the recycling centre asking for jar donations - i have enough jars to be making jam and chutney every day for a year i think!  i moved the note and box a week or so ago and they are STILL leaving their jars on the ground for me!!!

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 07:42:19 am »
A bit of useless info.I have mentioned it previously. There is in Grimsby 2 or 3 shops selling 3 for a £ very heavy octagonal 1 pound size jars I think they were made for a job They are see through green with bubbles in the glass made to look very old I will go and weigh one an ordinary jar weighs 248 grms and will you believe one of these 8 sided ones 1078 grms thats over a kilo empty.So they are to expensive to post and they have no lids I think they were made for corks. they look to take a 3" diam; tapered cork to me I will fish round and if I can locate some If I cannot find any I'll make some sycamore ones eh :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS