Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fleeces  (Read 13155 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Fleeces
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2010, 10:29:12 pm »
I'm not woolly shepherd but couldn't resist replying anyway  :)  If you toss a fleece in the washing machine you will almost certainly get a lump of unuseable felt out afterwards.  To wash a fleece fairly quickly you can submerge it in rainwater with a splash of Ecover washing up liquid and leave to soak for 15 mins then lift it out and let it drip dry, with no agitation of the wool at all. If the water is very dirty, repeat in clean water. To make this easier, lay it on a piece of plastic clematis mesh.  For using raw fleece as insulation, you are likely to get new residents settling in ie mice.  I think the commercially produced fleece insulation must be treated with a pest deterrant.  But how wonderfully 'green' to use your own wool in this way.  We just had our attic filled with a very deep layer of probably glass fibre material by the council as part of their old and disabled folks housing upgrade - it does it's job but I would far rather have had lovely natural wool.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2010, 11:30:35 am »
wooly shepherd - can you just put a fleece in the washing machine on a wool wash?  and what detergent should be used?  many thanks

Ditto what fleecewife said ;D Actually you may even block your washing machine pipes with the grease!!! :o
Hand washing is best and discard the water elsewhere than down your drains too!

IF you have the time to wash and fluff your fleeces by hand go for it.....will take a bit of time however :-\
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Pony-n-trap

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2010, 05:24:03 pm »
So, if I washed the fleeces by hand in a tub outside, do I use cold water?  Then what? should I just haul it onto the washing line? Any detergent?

I have two fleeces outside at the moment and am wondering what to do with them, was thinking of trying felt, do I wash them first? then when dry do I start?  how do I fluff up?

I cant afford to send the fleeces anywhere to be treated or spun so would be doing it myself.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2010, 05:41:30 pm »
So, if I washed the fleeces by hand in a tub outside, do I use cold water?  Then what? should I just haul it onto the washing line? Any detergent?

I have two fleeces outside at the moment and am wondering what to do with them, was thinking of trying felt, do I wash them first? then when dry do I start?  how do I fluff up?

I cant afford to send the fleeces anywhere to be treated or spun so would be doing it myself.

No..not just cold water as it will not remove grease! You need very hot water, soapflakes and washing soda. This will gently remove the grease, sweat and dirt! Do NOT aggitate or you will get a lump of felt!

To be able to felt your fleeces, depending on what breed they are as some felt more easily than others, you will need to have done as above, then dried the wool in the sun, (tip: you can spin it in a pillowcase in a spindrier but do not use the spin cycle of a washing machine unless you can stop it at will :o) then you will need to card it into batts....basically layers at right angles to the layers below and above......then you can hand felt it

This is very time consuming and unless you have loads of time and energy it may work out cheaper than you think to send it to someone like me.....we are the only folks who will wash, card and felt a single fleece or wash and card it and return for spinning!

Hope that helps?
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Pony-n-trap

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2010, 07:36:20 pm »

This is very time consuming and unless you have loads of time and energy it may work out cheaper than you think to send it to someone like me.....we are the only folks who will wash, card and felt a single fleece or wash and card it and return for spinning!

Hope that helps?

Hhmmmm, might just wait til I've handsheared the other 7 then save up to send to you, so 9ish fleeces? give or take the bits they have lost themselves!!
 Will check out your website. :)

humphreymctush

• Joined Jul 2010
  • orkney
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2010, 10:47:06 pm »
I think I am right in saying you need to apply for permission from the British wool marketing board if you want to bypass them and sell fleeces privately.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2010, 11:01:19 pm »
to my knowledge you dont, you sign up to go with them but can go to other stations.  We have kept ours a they will be lining yurts :)  and SIL is making lovely shapes out of it with a felting needle :)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2010, 11:13:16 pm »

<< I think I am right in saying you need to apply for permission from the British wool marketing board if you want to bypass them and sell fleeces privately.>>

There is a general exemption for certain breeds, basically the ones with fleece the BWMB don't want/can't sell (like Hebrideans) and for selling to handspinners.  There are two companies which take Hebridean fleece to spin, knit and weave into top-end products - one also takes Shetland fleece and no-one who deals them seems to ask permission. I say they take fleece because they don't actually buy it but each has a system by which you can buy back finished product at a reduced price.
Most people keeping only a small number of sheep are probably not registered with the BWMB, although if you have more than 4 (I think) you are supposed to be.  I only registered as you have to have a reg number to enter fleece competitions at the big shows.
There is an Irish Company up here which buys up vast quantities of fleece but if you sell to them the BWMB will not take you back as a customer.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2010, 12:07:28 pm »
I think I am right in saying you need to apply for permission from the British wool marketing board if you want to bypass them and sell fleeces privately.

They are your sheep so its your wool! The BWMB is not interested in chasing every bloomin fleece.....I am allowed to process 30 tonnes of wool for non textile use without anyone batting an eyelid. Do not be afraid folks, your wool is YOUR wool!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

humphreymctush

• Joined Jul 2010
  • orkney
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2010, 01:52:18 pm »
Thanks for this information, I have been most of my fleece privately but I always give a sack or two to the wool board to keep them happy. Maybe I will sever my ties with them now!

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2010, 08:05:51 am »
I am selling my Ryeland fleece privately and getting about £10 per fleece on average. I don't have a big flock but it helps for new fencing funds and the other breeds fleeces I am going to play with and see if I can process then spin it so I get some enjoyment out of it as well ;D

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2010, 11:33:43 am »
Sounds good to me  :)  What breeds are your other sheep?

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2010, 09:08:38 pm »
The other fleeces are from cross breeds and a dorset

Well fleece sold today on ebay for £6.50
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 09:46:09 pm by ellisr »

humphreymctush

• Joined Jul 2010
  • orkney
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2010, 02:59:09 pm »
For the last few years I have been selling coloured shetland and manx fleeces to a private buyer for £2.50 each straight off the sheep. Am I selling them too cheap?

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2010, 03:51:43 pm »
Pop one on eBay and see what it brings

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS