Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fleeces  (Read 13113 times)

Pony-n-trap

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Fleeces
« on: July 04, 2010, 11:56:07 am »
What should we do, or rather, what do you do with fleeces once shawn.  We only have 9 ewes to shear and may well give them to our neighbour who is going to very kindly do the shearing deed for us this year as we have never done it before and at this stage dont actually own any shears.

If he wants them to put with his fleeces that is fine but if he doesnt, what shall we do with them, something useful would be good.

What do you do with yours?  Where would they be sent etc?

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
Re: Fleeces
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 12:34:49 pm »
no idea but will watch this thread with interest as we have just had ours clipped for the first time too!

Shnoowie

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Cornwall
    • Binty's Farm
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 01:01:18 pm »
Ours are going to a hand spinning circle for a demonstration at a local event.  You can sell them on ebay, spin them and knit things or send them on to the Woolly Shepherd who does carding etc with small amounts.  Some wool can also be used for felting. 
Or, if you'd rather, I hear that it is good on the garden... :)

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 04:30:11 pm »
Ours are going to a hand spinning circle for a demonstration at a local event.  You can sell them on ebay, spin them and knit things or send them on to the Woolly Shepherd who does carding etc with small amounts.  Some wool can also be used for felting. 
Or, if you'd rather, I hear that it is good on the garden... :)

i think i'd read somewhere that it was good in the garden - but not sure how or when - anyone any ideas?

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 04:36:42 pm »

Neighbouring farmer shears mine so I just get him to add my fleeces to his, got them back the first year but could not find anyone who wanted them.
There was a stand at the Highland Show last year with sheeps wool compost but I think it might take a while to compost.The bits that come off and lie around in the field seem to be there for ever.
Anne

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 05:18:32 pm »
It's good for lining hanging baskets or for putting in muddy gateways to stabilise the soil.

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 05:27:45 pm »
It's good for lining hanging baskets or for putting in muddy gateways to stabilise the soil.
thats a fab idea - will do that next year - IF i remember of course!

belgianblue

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 07:48:25 pm »
it costs more to shear sheep than the wool itself,  you get sweet f a for your wool at the moment.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2010, 08:47:20 pm »
it costs more to shear sheep than the wool itself,  you get sweet f a for your wool at the moment.

Wrong.....the price of wool has doubled this year.....Its my business to know that!! Yes 10p per kg to 20p per kg is not a lot but that is for poorer wool....if you have good quaity wool there is some money to pay the shearer in it!

However if you want to do something interesting get in touch as I can help you add value to it!.....you must know what you like and what you think you would be able to sell! I can help you make a lot of products from stuffing to hanging basket liners to huge rolls of felt to sheets of soft prefelt type felt

All that stops you is your imagination! 
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2010, 02:19:19 pm »
silly (but related) question:

If I want to throw the fleece into the loft as extra insulation, is there any reason why I shouldn't do this with the fleece in its raw state?

mab

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2010, 03:23:35 pm »

If I want to throw the fleece into the loft as extra insulation, is there any reason why I shouldn't do this with the fleece in its raw state?

mab
like your thinking batman!  be interesting to see what others think....

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2010, 04:22:35 pm »
i recommend visiting the wooley shepherd website for ideas, esp. about roof insulation amongst other things - I haven't spoken to her yet but we will be coming down!

Wooley shepherd - my wife will be in touch!

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2010, 04:38:13 pm »
We only had 3 last year, and the farmer did not want them to add to his, and advertised them with no luck.  But, have found some young girls not too far from us, who enjoy spinning, so going to offer them Berties lovely fleece.  Used last years for lining hanging baskets, and still got some left, because two of the fleece were massive, coming off the two Shropshire ewes,.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2010, 09:56:29 pm »

mab

Well....to insulate well requires trapped air and greasy wool clogs together rather than fluffs up, added to that the dirt, sweat and grease it will cause a damp looking patch if in direct contact with plasterboard ???. The smell will be sheepy....very....and can go quite musty. I personally would not do it. You can wash and dry them yourself, fluff up by hand and stuff in, but the quantity needed can make it very time consuming!

www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2010, 10:04:04 pm »
wooly shepherd - can you just put a fleece in the washing machine on a wool wash?  and what detergent should be used?  many thanks

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS