Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fleeces  (Read 13114 times)

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
Re: Fleeces
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2010, 06:44:36 pm »
Yes....! I usually buy and sell small fleeces like that, straight from the sheep at £5 if they are good quality clean and rolled....a lot less if poor quality. Shetland can be good but some can be very coarse and poor. Manx is generally nice.
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2010, 09:57:44 pm »
If you want to get a bit more for your fleeces, select the better quality ones and skirt them carefully and pick off any dirty bits or pieces of vegetation.  Roll them carefully and you could sell them for £10 each.  If you want to make a name for yourself as a supplier of good quality spinning fleeces, don't sell the poorer quality fleeces, or label them for hanging baskets or mulch only and sell those for £2.50
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

humphreymctush

• Joined Jul 2010
  • orkney
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2010, 04:08:59 pm »
Its sounds to me like I have a fairly good deal. I dont really have the time or motivation to skirt them or grade them. She gives £2.50 each for about 30 fleeces all chucked in a bag straight off the sheep and they are certainly of mixed quality.
It would be nice to breed for wool quality but for economic reasons there are about half a dozen factors that take priority when selecting which ewes to keep.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS