Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: First time breeding with small amounts  (Read 4069 times)

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
First time breeding with small amounts
« on: July 01, 2010, 07:03:13 pm »
So the question for today.

You've got some Ewes and your ready to get the love on: (Not personally obviously :-\)

Do you buy a ram to keep and breed from or do you have one come and visit, or is the paperwork to much hassle for this now a days. If you do have someone bring a fella round, how do they charge for this, what would you expect to pay?

As usual this is where someone answers with a method that I hadn't even thought of  :D Thanks peeps  :sheep:

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
Re: First time breeding with small amounts
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 07:40:03 pm »
We have a very friendly lady who has a small flock and two rams.  She let us put our ewes in with hers last year.  I dont think you should have one ram on his own as he would get lonely.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 08:55:32 pm »
seee i dont think the paperwork/movement forms  are that bad, its pretty user friendly....now the single farm payment forms...thts another story, right nightmare, in fact we take ours to the local FUW and they fil them in for us lol

Getting back to the point though, we ll  buying new rams in :)   :wave:

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 09:21:43 am »
We've also been told that your best either having one ram or three.  Cos if you put two in they may spend most their time fighting - whereas if you have three there is alway one left to do the tupping.

As Helen said, we are going to buy some in this year, but you must remember that its not highly recommended to put the rams back on any offspring.  So if your expanding your flock by keeping the girls and you want to breed from them its not advisable to use the same rams.

Ta

Baz

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 12:27:57 pm »

I have had 3 lots of lambs now and have borrowed a Ram each time, they were always young first timers but it cost me nothing and they were always successful.
Anne

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 04:24:59 pm »
Thanks for the replies very greatful as always; no fear of interbreeding here never done it and always kept a keen eye on whos, who.

If I was going to stock larger amounts, I would have rams; right now I'm staying with the few, so getting a fella in for a visit is going to be my best option; Thaks all, thats helped me make my mind up.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 10:01:07 pm »
Or bring your ewes round to someone else for about 5 - 6 weeks, if they also have a small flock and resident tup is not overworked... Just need to be careful about bringing anything nasty back with your ewes (scab, fluke, worms etc,), but obviously not too onerous if you think about it beforehand.

Depends also on the breed of sheep you have, and how near suitable tup(s) are, pedigree vs commercial.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 10:52:00 pm »
Depending on breed, whether registered and expensive or not, you can buy in a ram lamb, then when he's done his duty, put him in the freezer  :yum:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2010, 12:45:53 am »
Depending on breed, whether registered and expensive or not, you can buy in a ram lamb, then when he's done his duty, put him in the freezer  :yum:

Oh! you can be so cruel  :o (Note to self) Order in plenty of mint sauce  ;D :yum: :yum:

At this moment in time, I have no sheep here: I'm concidering either Jacob, Lleyns or Dorset. I am prepairing myself for whats to come  ;)

Padge

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2010, 08:16:24 am »
we have Jacobs   and are looking at Lleyns ;D

humphreymctush

• Joined Jul 2010
  • orkney
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2010, 07:19:55 pm »
If you wait until the winter you could buy some pregnant ewes that way you would not need a ram until next year. The other advantage of doing it this way is that you can keep your first batch of ewe lambs to breed as they will not be related to the ram you buy afterwards.
I would not recomend eating a ram as they taste yucky. To save the cost of buying a ram you could keep the best ram lamb and sell its mother. This only works if you are doing pure breds

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS