Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dislocated/broken leg(hind)  (Read 14306 times)

banbha

• Joined Mar 2010
Dislocated/broken leg(hind)
« on: July 20, 2010, 05:52:59 pm »
HI I have just come in from the garden and found 1 of my lambs unable to move.  It looks as if she has dislocated her hind right leg at the hip, there is no broken skin.
Any advice, we have tryed our local vet before but as we are not a farmer and dont have a big enough flock! and our other vets do not cater for pet sheep!!!
I really dont like seeing any animal hurt even though she is not showing any signs of distress
Many Thanks

Mandi

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
Re: Dislocated/broken leg(hind)
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 06:15:09 pm »
 ??? I don't get what you mean when you say your not farmers and don't have a big enough flock so is this a problem for the vet???

if its dislocated it may be possible to get it back in and resolved fairly quickly without too many complications if you act quickyl before further ligament damage and inflammation.
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

banbha

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 06:29:51 pm »
Thanks ,.yes its a problem with the vet! 
What is the best way to go about putting it back?

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 06:47:08 pm »
you won't do it yourselves without anaesthesia and a good working knowledge of anatomy call the vet t

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 01:12:18 am »
If the large animal vet won't do it then you must go to the small animal practice.  If they can deal with a dog they can deal with a sheep.  It will probably cost you more but for the lamb's welfare you must get it dealt with promptly.  Then find yourself a vet who is prepared to treat your animals, even if you have to travel a bit further.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

banbha

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 09:57:47 am »
Thank you all for your help.
Unfortunatly, Abbie passed away late last evening while waiting for a vet to come out.
We are putting a complaint in to our nearerst farm vet as the next one is 2 hours away.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 10:20:07 am »
I'm very sorry to hear that even if sheep don't show signs of being stressed itf it was dislocated she would have been in pain.Maybe see how you can get a working relationship with a local vet practice before any emergencies crop up again. it isn't easy and I know vets don't like working outside their specialties always this can lead to problems in itself .

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 12:08:19 pm »
Sorry to hear about your sheep.  Maybe the leg was actually broken?  Even so, I would have expected a bit more promptness from a vet.

We have a local vet who only deals with dogs, cats, rabbits etc.  We are fortunate to have a large animal practice just a couple of miles from us.  Although two of my neighbours use horse vets at different practices, both 20 plus miles away, and they are happy to come out, for a mileage charge of course.

Ideally, you need a vet as close as possible, who is able to come out quickly, for cases such as you have just experienced with your sheep.
Do hope you find a good large animal vet nearby.

Calvadnack

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 01:53:45 pm »
This is so desperately sad.  You must have been distraught at not being able to help your lamb.  I don't know where you're based but if you are in the UK I would have hoped any farm vets would have been much faster to help, even asking you to drive the lamb to their surgery. 

With the reducing numbers of large animal vets I'm worried that this situation might be something more of us are going to be facing in the long term.

jack

• Joined Jun 2010
Vets
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 03:44:22 pm »
Hi to all I donno if your not that far from Chelmsford  the vet there came out to me about 20 miles and charged me  a call out fee of just £25 he is very good and here is his phone number.  07912799962

cairnhill

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 04:00:30 pm »
How awful  :'(  And what a sad state of affairs when a vet will not come out to an animal in distress  >:(

humphreymctush

• Joined Jul 2010
  • orkney
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2010, 06:38:58 pm »
Unless the animal cant be moved, it is cheaper and quicker to take the animal to the vet rather than call the vet out. You will in the future encounter other situations that require vetinary assistance so if you keep sheep you will need to have a working relationship with a vet. The alternative adopted by some on economic grounds is to shoot any animal that you cant treat yourself.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS